"Think Of A Number" - June 10, 2022

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
haari

Post by haari »

add me to the list... haven't solved one in ages, but this one took me maybe 90 seconds... guess that's why the beach is so crowded...
an it harm none, do as thou wilt... :D :D :D
KscX

Post by KscX »

I am ashore. Good puzzle, like a summer breeze. Looking at forecasted highs of 102 and 100 this week I feel like we could use more breeze. Summer in NC: good for solving crosswords in air conditioning.
Onaquest

Post by Onaquest »

Am in Lymington in the UK with my family this weekend. Only got round to it now and onshore. Nice puzzle. Time to enjoy a G&T. 😛
Geezer Weezer

Post by Geezer Weezer »

Solved with way too much effort. I hate getting old. oh, I forgot, I'm already there. Duh!
I am a man of few...
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

Geezer Weezer wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 1:53 pm Solved with way too much effort. I hate getting old. oh, I forgot, I'm already there. Duh!
I appreciate that line from a recent commercial: “Age is only a number and mine is unlisted.”
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman
Isw

Post by Isw »

Ashore - quick swim to the beach!
JerryF

Post by JerryF »

Ashore....I think. Seemed too easy after several weeks of not having a clue.
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

The first of the photos from today's amazing Muggle Meet-up at The Whip Tavern are trickling in ... more to come. Here are Cynthia, Don, and Chris!
Attachments
muggle1.JPG
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Anyone who needs a "last call" at 8 pm Eastern I'll jump on to try to help.
Heidi
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

Wendy Walker wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:39 pm The first of the photos from today's amazing Muggle Meet-up at The Whip Tavern are trickling in ... more to come. Here are Cynthia, Don, and Chris!
A fantastic afternoon with Muggle friends! The warmth and friendliness of this group is a treasure that never stops amazing Cynthia and I!

(We forgot to bring our device to send photos to the forum, so it will need to wait until after we return home.)
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

Onaquest wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 1:01 pm Am in Lymington in the UK with my family this weekend. Only got round to it now and onshore. Nice puzzle. Time to enjoy a G&T. 😛
Wish we were there to join you!
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
Annabelle

Post by Annabelle »

Finally made it to shore! After so many weeks afloat, I have to get my land legs back :)
Notbitter

Post by Notbitter »

On shore.
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

hcbirker wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:02 pm Anyone who needs a "last call" at 8 pm Eastern I'll jump on to try to help.
I almost made it home in time for that. On shore, but would have joined in the discussion had I been home.
jmorgie7

Post by jmorgie7 »

ASHORE ... only 1 rabbit hole ... maybe 1 in 4 and this one i got in 5 minutes. go figure
otlaolap

Post by otlaolap »

I've been sitting here for the past ten minutes, refreshing this page and the WSJ puzzle page, just to check my answer before I turn in for the night. Finally the penny dropped: dang, fellow, you're not in California any more. Vacationing in Tadoussac, Quebec, where you've just got to learn to be more patient.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Our final count is 253 on the shore. Long odd for winning the mug but hopefully it is a muggle

For our new muggles, a couple of things. First under Other Meta Crossword Puzzles and Other Puzzles, there are a bunch of other things to do between Thursdays. A couple to note are Muggle Meta Mondays of metas by our own muggles - names that you see here all the time. Tuesday is Benchen71's Metas on a Tuesday by Ben Chen all the way from the land down under. Wednesday is Madhatter's Enigma on Wednesday (MEOW) by Josh and sometimes other Muggles. And there is Pandora's Blocks by Will. Lots of fun by people you know.

And if you have not had enough of Matt Gaffney's nefarious metas, there is the Matt Gaffney Weekly Crossword Contest that comes out on Friday noon. It is a subscription service for $3/month

And Tuesday evenings at 7:30 pm, we have a zoom session using the link at the top of the page. Discussion of our successes and humorous rabbit holes that we went on in the metas over the last week.

And the last thing, the final tender to shore brought

Geezer Weezer
KscX
Onaquest
JerryF
Haari
Annabelle
jmorgie7
Notbitter

Have a good week
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
regfish7

Post by regfish7 »

On shore! Finally back to meta solving now that summer has hit. Time to find a nice beach drink 🏖
Deb F

Post by Deb F »

Wendy Walker wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:39 pm The first of the photos from today's amazing Muggle Meet-up at The Whip Tavern are trickling in ... more to come. Here are Cynthia, Don, and Chris!
Oh wow. A very favorite spot of mine. Hope someone had the Welsh Rarebit!!! 🐰 Sorry I missed it!
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

ship4u wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:37 pm
A fantastic afternoon with Muggle friends! The warmth and friendliness of this group is a treasure that never stops amazing Cynthia and I!

(We forgot to bring our device to send photos to the forum, so it will need to wait until after we return home.)
I greatly enjoyed actually meeting fellow Muggles in person for the first time. The generosity and camaraderie of the group was even more magnanimous in person than online, which is saying something. What a great group!

(Oh, when you upload more photos, only include my good side. Don't want the paparazzi and tabloids to have a field day...)