"Egocentrism" by benchen71

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? A weekly meta crossword constructed by forum member Ben (aka benchen71). These metas range from relatively easy to more challenging, depending on how many Australianisms he puts in them! Puzzles are posted in a new thread every Tuesday, with nudges appearing on Saturdays, and the solution coming out on Mondays. (At least, that's the plan. Given he lives in Australia, and they are so far ahead of the US time-zone-wise, things may get posted early!)
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Two more solvers:

AaronT
ReB

Nudges momentarily...
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Nudges, in order of increasing blatancy:

1. The clue and entry for 37 A contain the meta hint: IT'S ALL ABOUT ME, except for the meta it's the exact opposite.

2. The opposite is "ME ABOUT ALL".

3. Did you notice that, aside from the central clue, only 6 across entries contain the letter "M"?

4. Look for the letters "M...E" placed around other letters.

5. I am aware that in a couple of instances you might not be sure what is supposed to be included (in computing terms, we talk about "greedy" and "lazy" searching). But I've set it up so that the number of letters is balanced according to other entries in the grid.

6. Plus, remember the hint: "ME ABOUT ALL".
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
Dow Jones

Post by Dow Jones »

Nudged across the finish line. Tough grid but the meta was worth it. Thanks, Ben.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Monday morning here in Oz, and it's time for the solution. But first, a solver update:

Amy Nelson
LindaPRmaven
DebbieC
Dow Jones
Caroline
BarbaraK
Joe
Spid4567

That brings us to a grand total of 45.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Here's the solution to "Egocentrism":

Egocentrism (solution).png

As I mentioned in one of the nudges, I was aware that in a couple of instances you might not be sure what was to be included in the meta answer. To make it as straight-forward as possible, I limited Ms to the 6 metanism words. But I couldn't limit Es, mainly because there were Es in the meta answer. My way around this was to use symmetry: take two letters from the first and last entries, and one from the others.

My hope was that you would get a nice "aha" moment when you formed "It's all about me" into its "opposite": "it's me about all", especially when the answer turns out encompass the UNIVERSE. :D
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Sorry Ben, never got there. I got stuck in a an "It's all about YOU (U) and spent an inordinate amount of time trying to do something with all of the U's. Clever mechanism. I do see the one Natick, but hey they can't all be perfect...don't I know.

Nice puzzle though, I just took the wrong turn and never got back to it.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!