MGWCC #731 - “Interior Shots”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

Count me among those looking for a click. I feel like I have convinced myself of what the answer has to be. BUT, I have been wrong too many times in the past when I did not have concrete evidence supporting my answer. I guess I will mull this over for a day or two.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
TeamDoubleTow

Post by TeamDoubleTow »

Beamed up... Wasn't 100% but that often seems to be case with week 1 puzzles for us.
Team DoubleTow=Ali who posts here, Alex & Maya the hound(with occasional assistance from son)
MarkWoychick
Site Admin

Post by MarkWoychick »

Beamed up - learned a few new things along the way
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 contest-style (meta) crosswords that we've created to help raise money for cancer-related organizations - get the bundle at http://crosswordsforcancer.com
Barney

Post by Barney »

I’m learning that I can be flummoxed by a Week 1. 🙁
ajk

Post by ajk »

Barney wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:05 am I’m learning that I can be flummoxed by a Week 1. 🙁
These things happen. A few months ago there was a week 1 for which I needed not one but *two* nudges. :lol:
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
Barney

Post by Barney »

ajk wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 12:36 pm
Barney wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:05 am I’m learning that I can be flummoxed by a Week 1. 🙁
These things happen. A few months ago there was a week 1 for which I needed not one but *two* nudges. :lol:
Week 1 is supposed to be fun.

This isn’t fun.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

On the board at #314, was on the road yesterday and anyway it took me until now to convince myself that this should be the answer :-)
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Hope you are 100% soon.
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

lbray53 wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:17 am Count me among those looking for a click. I feel like I have convinced myself of what the answer has to be. BUT, I have been wrong too many times in the past when I did not have concrete evidence supporting my answer. I guess I will mull this over for a day or two.
I finally asked for verification from a solver. On the board. Hoping for a click when the explanation comes out.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Congratulating myself for making it into the top 400 (#392, but who's counting).
Jay
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

To submit, or not to submit: that is the question
Whether ’tis nobler in the meta-verse to submit
with the solo solve button an answer I’m pretty sure is right
Or to check with someone first and thereby ensure my streak continues,
but suffer the embarrassment of clicking ‘No Solo’ on week 1
To submit, perchance to be wrong, ay there’s the rub.

(Sorry, Shakespeare)

Since I didn’t get to this one until well after it came out, I started with the hard version. Didn’t get far with downs only...
[REDACTED]
...And if I get this one right, I'll get that lovely little ’50’ badge next to my name. So why not just ask someone, is it xxxx? I don’t know. I just can’t bring myself to do it.

So I submitted. I’ll find out with the next leaderboard update whether that was foolish. 🤞
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
MMe

Post by MMe »

1 out of 395 people have gotten this wrong, so I think you'll be okay!
woozy

Post by woozy »

BarbaraK wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 12:54 pm

[REDACTED]

[REDACTED]

Go for the solo!
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
mkmf

Post by mkmf »

Beamed up. I liked this a lot. It took me a while. A very clean week one. Nicely done.
rjy

Post by rjy »

Quick meta-meta question:

[REDACTED]

And please use spoiler tags if necessary - don’t want my question to inadvertently lead to spoiling someone else’s solve.

Thanks!
Ray
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

rjy wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:11 am So with this week’s puzzle - solving DONI - I have the grid filled and a very clear step 1 to an answer. Without spoilers, nudges or anything that’ll tip off other DONI solvers, can someone simply confirm if the answer can be obtained cleanly from the grid? Or will DONI solvers be wasting their time looking further when there’s some inferred answer at play?
REDACTED
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
KayW

Post by KayW »

Just a friendly reminder: please refrain from discussing any specifics regarding answer or metanism publicly before the contest deadline. Please either relay via PM or wait until deadline has passed.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

I whiffed on this. Having an important function, this morning, I asked for help. I am not submitting.

I will say that some of these discussions are over-the-line. This is particularly true since they ruin solo-solve status for those reading them, per Matt Gaffney's very simple rule: If you discuss the puzzle in any way, you cannot submit as solo.

We're an incredibly helpful crowd, here, & we wouldn't have it any other way. However, we need to take care with what we post before deadlines.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Sorry, folks!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

Finally looked at this with the deadline looming, thinking “it’s a Week 1 so will go quickly”. Well, kinda. Anyway, molecules being reassembled on the Enterprise as I type this.