Tally Who?

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
Cap'n Rick

Tally Who?

Post by Cap'n Rick »

Ahoy, Muggles!

Before you head out to the beach or the barbecue on this Memorial Day holiday, I hope you'll find time to solve my latest meta. The idea for this one came during a Tuesday ZOOM a couple of months ago when @Wendy Walker was telling us about her family's connection with a particular sport. Wendy was kind enough to pretest this puzzle for me, and she has also generously offered a theme-related prize to one lucky solver who will be drawn at random. In addition to Wendy, I'd like to thank @Abide, @Al Sisti, @Joe Ross, and @boharr for their pretesting and technical help. I know the prompt is somewhat peculiar, but I promise it'll make sense in the end.

The meta answer is a faux initial.

Tally Who? - Crosshare

Tally Who? - PUZ

Tally Who? - PDF

Tally Who? - Spreadsheet

Have fun with the puzzle, and remember, one lucky solver will receive a prize courtesy of Wendy Walker, who will be closing this meta out for me while I'm on vacation. Please be sure to include Wendy on your PMs after the nudges come out on Wednesday if you want to be eligible for the drawing.

Nudges are here.
Solution is here.

Good luck!
Cap'n Rick

Stats.JPG
Last edited by Cap'n Rick on Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ahoy! Check out my meta puzzles here! Check out "Smooth Sailing Sundays" here!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Off the couch! Nice one, Cap'n Rick.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
Meg

Post by Meg »

Very nicely put together!! And a nice Aha! At the end. OTC
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

While working on the meta, a piece of advice - if you have not been to 48A, save the gas.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

I'm somewhere not on the couch.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

🛋. A well done puzzle that I really enjoyed. Nice job Cap’n!
woozy

Post by woozy »

I ... got nothin' (um.... am I supposed to know what a faux initial is supposed to mean, or is that part of the meta?)
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
woozy

Post by woozy »

Mr. woozy: "Hmm.... dog breed. four letters. I know the first three letters. So it's *-*-*-blank, hmm...."
Mrs. woozy: "[34 D]"
Mr. woozy: "Well, maybe you knew but I didn't. That's why I asked. sheesh, some people..."

Yes, it's a laugh a minute and the ol' woozy household!
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

woozy wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 2:34 pm I ... got nothin' (um.... am I supposed to know what a faux initial is supposed to mean, or is that part of the meta?)
@woozy I hear a faux U all the time.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Cap'n Rick

Post by Cap'n Rick »

Bob cruise director wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 1:48 pm While working on the meta, a piece of advice - if you have not been to 48A, save the gas.
Yeah, my wife and I drove through 48A on our way to @Al Sisti's parade in March. I was surprised that main street was only a block long and dead-ended in both directions. Second Street was in the next town over. :lol:
Cap'n Rick

Post by Cap'n Rick »

woozy wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 2:57 pm Mr. woozy: "Hmm.... dog breed. four letters. I know the first three letters. So it's *-*-*-blank, hmm...."
Mrs. woozy: "[34 D]"
Mr. woozy: "Well, maybe you knew but I didn't. That's why I asked. sheesh, some people..."

Yes, it's a laugh a minute and the ol' woozy household!
I see what you did there, Mr. woozy. You are a very funny guy. :D
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Free of couch!

That was FUN! Thanks, Cap’n!
Cap'n Rick

Post by Cap'n Rick »

Day 1 - OK, Day 1 and the leaderboard looks a little light with only 10 solves in addition to the 4 Test Solvers.

Wendy Walker (TS)
Abide (TS)
Al Sisti (TS)
boharr (TS)
Hector
Benchen71
LesY
Cindy Weatherman
Meg
LindaPRmaven
FrankieHeck
dplass (although for the wrong reason :D)
oldjudge
ChrisKochmanski

Apparently I was correct when I said the prompt was a bit peculiar. Take the word "faux", for instance. If I hadn't taken those 2 years of French in high school, I might think the word was pronounced totally differently.

Please PM me if you'd like another hint before tomorrow's official Wednesday Nudges.

Cap'n Rick A. Kennedy
Last edited by Cap'n Rick on Tue May 31, 2022 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Cap'n Rick wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 7:32 am Day 1 - OK, Day 1 and the leaderboard looks a little light with only 10 solves in addition to the 4 Test Solvers.

Wendy Walker (TS)
Abide (TS)
Al Sisti (TS)
boharr (TS)
Hector
Benchen71
LesY
Cindy Weatherman
Meg
LindaPRmaven
FrankieHeck
dplass (although for the wrong reason :D)
oldjudge
ChrisKochmanski

Apparently I was correct when I said the prompt was a bit peculiar. Take the word "faux", for instance. If I hadn't taken those 2 years of French in high school, I might think the word was pronounced totally differently.

Please PM me if you'd like another hint before tomorrow's official Wednesday Nudges.

Cap'n Rick A. Kennedy
Hey, as DrTom says, a solve is a solve!
Darth

Post by Darth »

:lol: Lol. Although I didn't understand the prompt (even after solving!), there's so much clever here! Fun.

Off the couch! [Note the faux leather -- and cat proof, too! Keep all those dirty little "faux pas" off!]
Attachments
Hayward+Java+Faux+Leather+Sofa.jpg
minimuggle

Post by minimuggle »

I'm still stuck on the "faux initial " prompt.....
Cap'n Rick

Post by Cap'n Rick »

minimuggle wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 2:39 pm I'm still stuck on the "faux initial " prompt.....
I just sent you a PM, @minimuggle.
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Now that I see the whole gamut, I'm ready to descend gracefully from my side saddle perch -

Capturecouchsaddleliz.PNG

Thanks for the puzzle, Cap'n Rick, and have a nice vacation!
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

Cap'n Rick wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 7:32 am Day 1 - OK, Day 1 and the leaderboard looks a little light with only 10 solves

Cap'n Rick A. Kennedy
Thank you for that *hint*. I suspected the answer and then this confirmed it!
Off the couch (confirmed by Crosshare)
Nice puzzle, Cap’n!
KayW

Post by KayW »

:couch_and_lamp: I needed some assistance, but I'm off the couch. And expanded my vocabulary, to boot. Elegant meta!
couchstairs.jpg
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.