MGWCC #730 - “Just Putting It Out There”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
TeamDoubleTow

Post by TeamDoubleTow »

Thanks to many kind nudgers we have step 1. If that is as far as we get that is still something!
Team DoubleTow=Ali who posts here, Alex & Maya the hound(with occasional assistance from son)
gpj73

Post by gpj73 »

Like so many, we are 100% certain we made it through step one … and absolutely baffled about where to go from here. A step 2 nudge would be much appreciated!

EDIT: Major thanks to @woozy for the perfect mild nudge! Not yet beamed up but certain about the answer.
MamaE

Post by MamaE »

Finally dragged aboard the ship with much muggle help!
- Just puzzling it out here in Delmarva :D
Psumcoleman

Post by Psumcoleman »

On the board at 99 but step 2 was a bit of a Hail Mary. If someone has a super satisfying click rather than my back solve, please IM me.
Prozach

Post by Prozach »

OK - I need some nudges here. With the long weekend, taking a shot at a week 4 isn't such a bad idea. Thanks in advance.

Update: Nudged and Hail Mary-ed to the scoreboard.
Last edited by Prozach on Tue May 31, 2022 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TeamDoubleTow

Post by TeamDoubleTow »

Thanks to the help of excellent nudges by very kind muggles I feel confident that we got the answer... This is not one we would have solved otherwise but we definitely appreciate all the skill that goes into (editing to correct... ) CREATING this masterpiece and the generosity of the muggle community.
Last edited by TeamDoubleTow on Mon May 30, 2022 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Team DoubleTow=Ali who posts here, Alex & Maya the hound(with occasional assistance from son)
Joe

Post by Joe »

But for the help of at least three muggles (thank you all), I would never have gotten there. I mean, I might have (see: monkey/typewriter). But wow. That second step is a doozy.
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
JordanianTomlinson

Post by JordanianTomlinson »

Hey mates - if anyone is offering step 1 nudges I’d be ever so grateful. Thanks, J
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Not to demean this brilliant puzzle, which it truly is, but I astonish myself at how obtuse I can be, including doing the same thing, repeatedly, expecting a different result - thereby proving my insanity - only to be told and to realize that doing that same thing is, in fact, the way to solve. It took several dozen extry gigawatts to beam my sorry butt, this week. I'm joining Al on the true solo path for a while to try to force myself to fire my synapses.

Huge and sincere props to those who solved solo, as always. A brilliant, difficult puzzle slain is a worthy accomplishment.
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

oggy wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 12:07 am
benchen71 wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 10:07 pm Nudged to the tractor beam. Tough one!
Noob question: what is this tractor beam metaphor?

Congrats, though. I'm right under you on the list. :)
Since I am nowhere near finding step 1 let alone solving I will do something constructive and answer your question as I don’t see anyone having done so. Tractor beams are a sci-fi creation which showed up in Star Trek a lot. Basically a beam that pulls the ship toward source of the beam such as another ship. Tractor derives from traction or retract ie pulling. Here I think it is used along with the beam me up Star Trek lingo to describe helping someone to a solution.

And boy could I use help right now…

Back to it. Stay well.
Karawitan

Post by Karawitan »

First time poster here, just discovered this board! Got Step 1 right away and I’ve been stuck there all weekend. Think I’ve tried everything but I guess there’s a big Step 2. At this point I’d love the tiniest nudge from someone. Thank you in advance!!
three

Post by three »

MamaE wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 12:02 am Finally dragged aboard the ship with much muggle help!
Absolute ditto! Don’t think I ever could have done this without help.
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

On shore with a slight step one nudge.
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

I have been through several “oh, that’s how you do its” just to realize I was wrong. I don’t even think I have made it to stage one, but I am rather dizzy from all the spinning I’ve been doing. I’d love a tiny nudge.

Edit: got nudges, and am working through it now. Thanks everyone who helped.
Last edited by SusieG on Mon May 30, 2022 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MountainManZach

Post by MountainManZach »

I too would love a nudge on step 1!
oggy

Post by oggy »

Streroto wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 3:00 pm Since I am nowhere near finding step 1 let alone solving I will do something constructive and answer your question as I don’t see anyone having done so. Tractor beams are a sci-fi creation which showed up in Star Trek a lot. Basically a beam that pulls the ship toward source of the beam such as another ship. Tractor derives from traction or retract ie pulling. Here I think it is used along with the beam me up Star Trek lingo to describe helping someone to a solution.

And boy could I use help right now…

Back to it. Stay well.
Thanks! I’m familiar with tractor beams from sci-fi, just didn’t understand why we were gathering on a spaceship/UFO once we got it. @Joe Ross’s pointer explains it, though I also liked the “greetings, Earthlings” theory from @benchen71.

DM'd you a tiny nudge for step 1.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Just as I was about to throw in the towel on a solo solve and PM someone for a nudge, I saw Step Two. If it takes me the same length of time to get to Step Three, I'll have it solved by Friday.
Jay
ajs0031

Post by ajs0031 »

Don't think I'm gonna be able to solo solve this one. If anyone could give me a nudge on step 2 I would greatly appreciate it
Andrew Bradburn

Post by Andrew Bradburn »

First time I have ever gotten an (educated) wild guess correct. I would surmise that is also how e.a. got it right just as the puzzle went live. Got to step one without too much trouble, but got stymied after that. So out of frustration I sent in my guess and it was right. Not that it matters that much, my streak is now at one. :)
Katiedid

Post by Katiedid »

I've been stuck since I got step one on Saturday. Could someone give me a tiny nudge?

EDIT: Thanks to a tiny nudge, I will be beaming up!