MGWCC #730 - “Just Putting It Out There”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
woozy

Post by woozy »

Is this supposed to be an athlete I've heard of? (Or is it one of those obscure ones like Willie Mays or Michael Phelps...)

I got that bulk of the metanism about 5 hours ago and I'm kind of perplexed I can't put it to the ground. Is that what everyone means by step 1? If so, I can't in any way call it obvious.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

oggy wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 12:07 am
benchen71 wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 10:07 pm Nudged to the tractor beam. Tough one!
Noob question: what is this tractor beam metaphor?

Congrats, though. I'm right under you on the list. :)
To be honest, I don't recall the explanation. Maybe it's something to do with the "Greetings earthlings" on Matt's website? Anyway, people say "Beam me up" when they make it onto the board (get taken onto Matt's spaceship).
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

benchen71 wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 12:50 am
oggy wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 12:07 am
benchen71 wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 10:07 pm Nudged to the tractor beam. Tough one!
Noob question: what is this tractor beam metaphor?

Congrats, though. I'm right under you on the list. :)
To be honest, I don't recall the explanation. Maybe it's something to do with the "Greetings earthlings" on Matt's website? Anyway, people say "Beam me up" when they make it onto the board (get taken onto Matt's spaceship).

"Beam me up Scotty" was initiated by Heidi @hcbirker in response to @LesY jokingly declaring himself "Ashore!" and worrying about using a phrase from "the other one." Once @BarbaraK endorsed it, it was set, of course!

This occurred in MGWCC #568 - First and Third, Two Out.
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

Joe Ross wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 6:32 am "Beam me up Scotty" was initiated by Heidi @hcbirker in response to @LesY jokingly declaring himself "Ashore!" and worrying about using a phrase from "the other one." Once @BarbaraK endorsed it, it was set, of course!

Thank you Joe. Every cohesive group needs an historian!!!
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

ship4u wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 7:12 am
Joe Ross wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 6:32 am "Beam me up Scotty" was initiated by Heidi @hcbirker in response to @LesY jokingly declaring himself "Ashore!" and worrying about using a phrase from "the other one." Once @BarbaraK endorsed it, it was set, of course!

Our history is documented by the creation and maintenance of this wonderful refuge by @BrianMac!

Our historian is @Bob cruise director inarguably.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Joe Ross wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 9:46 am
ship4u wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 7:12 am

Our history is documented by the creation and maintenance of this wonderful refuge by @BrianMac!

Our historian is @Bob cruise director inarguably.
@BarbaraK is also a good historian for the group.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
mattythewsjpuzzler

Post by mattythewsjpuzzler »

Liked this one! Beamed!
Dannyvee

Post by Dannyvee »

Just missed an update but confident— beam me up! Terrific meta
I can be found in Sheridan, NY, veejaying. (8)
MamaE

Post by MamaE »

woozy wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 12:17 am Is this supposed to be an athlete I've heard of? (Or is it one of those obscure ones like Willie Mays or Michael Phelps...)

I got that bulk of the metanism about 5 hours ago and I'm kind of perplexed I can't put it to the ground. Is that what everyone means by step 1? If so, I can't in any way call it obvious.
I am in the same boat. Got the metanism late Friday and still no idea how to finish it off. Frustrating!
- Just puzzling it out here in Delmarva :D
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

Thanks to a wonderful muggle who took pity on me, I am now with the "step 1" group. It feels good being there, but I won't be transported back to Starship Enterprise any time soon!
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
sheeparenotgreen

Post by sheeparenotgreen »

Enjoyed this one. Doable even as a non sports person (always happy making)!
JeffPrug

Post by JeffPrug »

Edit: Completed Step 1 thanks to a couple of nudges, trying to figure out what to do next.
Last edited by JeffPrug on Sun May 29, 2022 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HoldThatThought

Post by HoldThatThought »

Would gratefully accept a Stage 2 nudge, as I rooted out Stage 1 within an hour or so of publication, and felt super pleased with myself - which obviously incurred the wrath of the meta gods.

I feel as if I have rumbled through every one of Matt Gaffney's favorite mechanisms, I've assembled a list of 35 twelve letter athletes, and... Well...

Hat in hand.
Psumcoleman

Post by Psumcoleman »

Will also gladly take a step 1 nudge if anyone is feeling pity today…
paige11

Post by paige11 »

HoldThatThought wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 4:27 pm Would gratefully accept a Stage 2 nudge, as I rooted out Stage 1 within an hour or so of publication, and felt super pleased with myself - which obviously incurred the wrath of the meta gods.

I feel as if I have rumbled through every one of Matt Gaffney's favorite mechanisms, I've assembled a list of 35 twelve letter athletes, and... Well...

Hat in hand.
I was in the same boat, but inspiration finally struck! It's even sweeter because this was my first guess when thinking of 12 letter athletes :D
woozy

Post by woozy »

Almost never happens. My first hail mary guess was correct.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
ajs0031

Post by ajs0031 »

I felt so accomplished when I finally figured out step 1, but I'm stuck on step 2. I feel like I've tried everything but there must be something I'm missing!
TeamDoubleTow

Post by TeamDoubleTow »

We would love a step 1 hint of anyone has one to spare.
Team DoubleTow=Ali who posts here, Alex & Maya the hound(with occasional assistance from son)
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

Delete
ajk

Post by ajk »

Beamed, after two kindly and vital nudges. Might have gotten step one on my own after long pondering, but I doubt it. Don't think I'd ever have gotten step 2. Sometimes they just don't click.
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer