"Dirty Pool" - May 27, 2022

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
ReB

Post by ReB »

Late on-shore report: caught a helicopter from the ship which dropped me onto the beach, which left me comatose until a few minutes ago. Still groggy and hoping I'm not actually in the midst of a pageant.
joequavis

Post by joequavis »

Made it ashore after many different swim attempts. I sure tried a lot of things that went nowhere. There were some where I dug my own hole, set the shovel aside and decided it was a rabbit hole.

I really wanted to make a different six letter word work.
Inca

Post by Inca »

I think I just got the answer to the meta but I think I missed a step in order to get there. If it's wrong, it's an amazing coincidence and I really don't believe in those. At the same time, I know that Mike's puzzles are usually so clean that I believe there must be more of a pointer than just the one I used and it bothers me that I don't see what it is. At least I've got the answer to submit, but will still give another look to find that "key" (if it's there).
iggystan

Post by iggystan »

Looks like a miss for me this week, I submitted an answer but with no confidence.
WSJosh

Post by WSJosh »

WSJosh wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 8:20 pm Still at sea. Think I’ve found something but can’t make it work yet.
Well, submitted an answer that I think is correct, but must have skipped a step to get there. Looking forward to seeing the solution to see how they explain the mechanism.
WSJosh

Post by WSJosh »

Inca wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 10:03 pm I think I just got the answer to the meta but I think I missed a step in order to get there. If it's wrong, it's an amazing coincidence and I really don't believe in those. At the same time, I know that Mike's puzzles are usually so clean that I believe there must be more of a pointer than just the one I used and it bothers me that I don't see what it is. At least I've got the answer to submit, but will still give another look to find that "key" (if it's there).
I’m in the same boat
Inca

Post by Inca »

WSJosh wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 10:12 pm
Inca wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 10:03 pm I think I just got the answer to the meta but I think I missed a step in order to get there. If it's wrong, it's an amazing coincidence and I really don't believe in those. At the same time, I know that Mike's puzzles are usually so clean that I believe there must be more of a pointer than just the one I used and it bothers me that I don't see what it is. At least I've got the answer to submit, but will still give another look to find that "key" (if it's there).
I’m in the same boat
You mean we're on the same part of the shore
MatthewB

Post by MatthewB »

Almost forgot about the puzzle,; somehow didn't feel like Sunday, maybe because tomorrow's a holiday...
On shore.... Nice crowd.
KscX

Post by KscX »

Ashore.
sajappel@gmail.com

Post by sajappel@gmail.com »

Will someone please guide me to where they connected this puzzle with this answer? I just have never gotten the hang of how you do this next step.
hoover

Post by hoover »

Stuck on the ship with Isaac. I see a thing but I have no idea what to do with it.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

At the swim up bar in the ship's pool, how did it take me this long to find it?
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

WSJCC Dirty Pool reveal.png
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

I feel dirty, like I've been hustled
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
escapeartist

Post by escapeartist »

I don't understand the red letters above in Joe's image.

But I did also get HUSTLE by filling in the six black square "pockets" with letters that completed the grid with new grid answers.
* 2022 WSJ Mug Winner - I bask in its Glory *
PQ63

Post by PQ63 »

I got the answer but have no idea what the mechanism is. Can’t wait until it’s explained to me.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

escapeartist wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 12:14 am I don't understand the red letters above in Joe's image.

But I did also get HUSTLE by filling in the six black square "pockets" with letters that completed the grid with new grid answers.
PQ63 wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 12:18 am I got the answer but have no idea what the mechanism is. Can’t wait until it’s explained to me.
The Indicator Clue & Entry at 24 Down There are six on the sides in pool - POCKETS point to the 6 standard pocket positions on a pool table. "Filling" those pockets with the unique letters that make words Across & Down gives us the six letters requested for the meta answer, HUSTLE.

I thought that the clue & entry at 31 Down It causes the cue ball to curve - MASSE SHOT combined with the Down entry of the leftmost column, after solving - HERRINGS, were massive red herrings. When I couldn't choose between two possible paths of a MASSE SHOT, I found the correct answer, but thought the red herrings were worthy of mention. Hence, the red letters at top & within the grid.
PQ63

Post by PQ63 »

Thanks. So it was simply finding pocket letters that made new words across and down. What’s the old adage…”Don’t overthink things.” ;)
woozy

Post by woozy »

Joe Ross wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 12:36 am
I thought that the clue & entry at 31 Down It causes the cue ball to curve combined with the Down entry of the leftmost column, after solving - HERRINGS, were massive red herrings. When I couldn't choose between two possible paths of a MASSE SHOT, I found the correct answer, but thought the red herrings were worthy of mention. Hence, the red letters at top.
But I don't understand. What do the red herrings spell?

I was pretty sure that both those clues would be relevant but I just couldn't suss if we are to look at curved paths there are just too many options an no way to orient oneself that I figured I had to figure it wasn't possible. (Although I saw a BALL at the top and a MIDDLE (as in "eight ball in the middle pocket" ... except it's the side pocket) in the lower right but it was too indistiguishable from random BOGGLEING to pursue seriously.

I did think about the pockets and dropping balls (letters) into them. But I had to come back to actually see it work.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
joequavis

Post by joequavis »

I thought the word LEAVES would have been a great answer since they are a cause of dirty swimming pools, and also a tactic in pool, which is part of the game and while not "dirty", makes for challenging shots. One might need to do a masse shot after a bad "leave".