MGWCC #729 - “Count to J”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Can't make the Zoom. I'll just ask for nudges later!
Heidi
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Beamed up!

With a nudge.

Good one!
Guffman

Post by Guffman »

I'm in for the Zoom.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Wendy Walker wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 10:13 pm Just submitted. Fingers crossed!
Update: not on the leaderboard. And I really thought I had it.
I was going to hit the Like/Thumbs Up button, but always have a hard time "liking" a post that bears bad news. Don't want to be seen as someone who publicly displays schadenfreude, not that that's what I'd be doing.
Tboz

Post by Tboz »

Need a nudge! Please
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

HunterX wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 11:56 am
I was going to hit the Like/Thumbs Up button, but always have a hard time "liking" a post that bears bad news. Don't want to be seen as someone who publicly displays schadenfreude, not that that's what I'd be doing.
Hunter, Significant Other Mark is consoling me by walking around the house singing "Tom Dooley" and sticking his head in my office when he gets to the "Hang down your head and cry" part.
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
TMart

Post by TMart »

I gave up on this one. Then I took one more peek and there it was.
TeamDoubleTow

Post by TeamDoubleTow »

Thanks for the great zoom!! I am in awe of everyone's prowess!
Team DoubleTow=Ali who posts here, Alex & Maya the hound(with occasional assistance from son)
ajk

Post by ajk »

Man, the zoom room is efficient. :lol: Don't think I'd ever have gotten it on my own, but submitted.
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
Joe

Post by Joe »

The greatest minds in the Metaverse come through once again in the zoom room! I don't think I would have gotten there without them. Good to see you all!
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

The zoom room saves my weekend, again! Thanks everyone!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Let me add my appreciation of the group. Sara Dacus was our expert who told us when we were astray. And whoever was on the phone from Ann Arbor found the Rosetta Stone for all of us. Great group.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
woozy

Post by woozy »

Social phobia is weird. I was too intimidated to join the zoom. Yet the two seconds I peeked in gave me the hint I needed.

No way anyone can think that is a 3. More like a 7.

EDIT: In hindsight, I'd say this would make an excellent week 5. It's doable and clever and involves a *unique* way of decoding. But you have to really think outside the box to come up with it.
Last edited by woozy on Sun May 22, 2022 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Wendy Walker wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 1:10 pm
HunterX wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 11:56 am
Hunter, Significant Other Mark is consoling me by walking around the house singing "Tom Dooley" and sticking his head in my office when he gets to the "Hang down your head and cry" part.
Does that constitute Cruel and Unusual Punishment? I wonder.....
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

woozy wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 2:30 pm Social phobia is weird. I was too intimidated to join the zoom. Yet the two seconds I peeked in gave me the hint I needed.

No way anyone can think that is a 3. More like a 7.
Please, please to @woozy and everyone else, please never feel intimidated to join any of our zoom calls - Tuesday night, WSJ or MGWCC or anything else. This is the most nonjudgmental group you will ever be in. We are here for enjoyment and learning.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

GAhhhh!! Totes forgot the 2:00 zoom and now I’m sunk. HEEELLLPP with a nudge please

UPDATE - got it got it.. I was all around it but not ON it… was doing something very similar to the right technique, as I figured. Thanks all for your help! Actually ended up being the clue word I would have chosen randomly! ( :
Last edited by HeadinHome on Sun May 22, 2022 3:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The other Wendy. :roll:
MarkWoychick
Site Admin

Post by MarkWoychick »

Great Zoom call - thanks everyone! Now back to work and (maybe) look at the other puzzles I haven’t solved yet. Still holding out hope there’s something I can solo solve out there.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 contest-style (meta) crosswords that we've created to help raise money for cancer-related organizations - get the bundle at http://crosswordsforcancer.com
twelvetones

Post by twelvetones »

Ack I missed the Zoom while running errands! I would be very grateful if anyone's willing to give a nudge to this poor lost muggle.
- John Berry
Guffman

Post by Guffman »

Regarding today's Zoom call:
Richard Feynman is believed to have said,
"If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room."

So very grateful for being in the right room.
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

Given the inherent difficulty of this meta, I think that anonymous phone caller at the zoom was actually Matt Gaffney in disguise, trying to redeem himself!! :)

Great zoom fun once again. Thanks everyone.
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!