"Make the Connection" - May 20, 2022

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Colin

Post by Colin »

Kas wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 2:55 pm
Janet P wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 1:38 pm Struggled with the grid.
Stuck deep in a rabbit hole.
More coffee, Isaac!
Those rabbits, I swear...
Who gave them a backhoe, y'all?!
Time for dynamite.
@Kas - I think your haiku might be off a tad. We lived in Texas for 5 years and I’m sure “y’all” has at least 3 syllables 😂
One world. One planet. One future.
czeemuggle

Post by czeemuggle »

The bonfire is now a smoking pile of ashes, the steel drums and guitars are silent. The dancing, the singing and the drinking, ... oh God the drinking ... are over. The sun creeps slowly over the waves as if hesitant to disturb those who slumber. But it needn't bother, for it finds only me to greet it. It has been a long time since I have seen the dawn ... ashore.
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

I am very thankful and encouraged by the warmth, friendliness and overall support and good nature given by members of this group. All of the people that I have had the pleasure to meet and interact with have been more than gracious and affable and I am very appreciative.

Back in November, I underwent knee replacement surgery that turned out to have unexpected complications. For 6 months I was very afraid that I was destined to be one of the 20% TKA recipients that would be left with chronic pain. Thankfully, the problem was finally identified and I am on the road to full recovery. Throughout the ordeal, my interactions with this group has provided the much needed social support and comraderie to see me through. Thank you to everyone!
Last edited by ship4u on Sat May 21, 2022 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
auee89

Post by auee89 »

Working the grid for this and the Gaffney here in Sedona. It’s rough, but somebody has to do it.

Kevin
debbierudy

Post by debbierudy »

Ashore!
GTIJohnny

Post by GTIJohnny »

Very late start, but Ashore!
CAe39

Post by CAe39 »

Ashore
Enjoyable meta challenge
katnahat

Post by katnahat »

ship4u wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 5:15 pm I am very thankful and encouraged by the warmth, friendliness and overall support and good nature given by members of this group. All of the people that I have had the pleasure to meet and interact with have been more than gracious and affable and I am very appreciative.

Back in November, I underwent knee replacement surgery that turned out to have unexpected complications. For 6 months I was very afraid that I was destined to be one of the 20% TKA recipients that would be left with chronic pain. Thankfully, the problem was finally identified and I am on the road to full recovery. Throughout the ordeal, my interactions with this group has provided the much needed social support and comraderie to see me through. Thank you to everyone!
We are made better by your presence! Glad your complication has been resolved. Joint replacements can be wonderful, but sometimes they aren't. Wishing you a speedy and complete recovery!
Kathie
michaelm

Post by michaelm »

ship4u wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 5:15 pm I am very thankful and encouraged by the warmth, friendliness and overall support and good nature given by members of this group. All of the people that I have had the pleasure to meet and interact with have been more than gracious and affable and I am very appreciative.

No kneed to thank us. The pleasure is ours.
Well, Dr. Tom is in Italy, so thought I’d try to sneak in a groaner on his behalf.
katnahat

Post by katnahat »

Finally ashore. This one was confusing for me; I was probably distracted by my weekend guest, pictured below. Thanks D&C again for the nudge.
Attachments
IMG_3705.jpg
Last edited by katnahat on Sat May 21, 2022 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kathie
auee89

Post by auee89 »

Ashore! The Sedona vibe is working for me.

Kevin
Susan Goldberg

Post by Susan Goldberg »

Well, I finally prevailed. But, I must say, I did not think it was as much an easy ride as others seem to have. In any event, enjoying volunteering with my son at Best Friends Animal Society in Kanab Utah. If you’re an animal lover, it’s a must.
Attachments
9028C908-D42E-4529-BAE9-808771572C56.jpeg
PhantomPhan

Post by PhantomPhan »

Thus far, I am still at sea. Last week, no problem. This week, I have a Gaffney block. It's like a mental block, only more irritating. Back to the old drawing board.
...Remember there are worse things than a shattered chandelier...

If you see I'm ashore and need a nudge, feel free to message me.
John77

Post by John77 »

Finally on shore.

Too much driving since Thursday, and no time to have a Guinness.

Until now.
Wir sind zu früh alt und zu spät schlau.
TheKater

Post by TheKater »

On shore again and it feels so good!
Collegetowngirl

Post by Collegetowngirl »

Ashore!! Tough one for me.
yodarkrutch

Post by yodarkrutch »

I actually submitted an answer. which makes some sense, but everything looks half a bubble off. I don't know what part of the landscape that puts me on. Maybe I'm caught in the undertow.
31 Down

Post by 31 Down »

Jeremy Smith wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 1:44 am Ashore! Didn't think this was all that easy. Played kind of like a week 2.5 Gaffney for me. I'm surprised this is already page 6.
Hear, hear! Wasn't so easy for me but the collective brain power on this board has become intimidating. Instead of solving metas, maybe we can find a cure for cancer!
Thomas W (since there's already a Tom W)
Magistra

Post by Magistra »

Aha! Sunday morning cleared the fog and I made it to shore.
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

Susan Goldberg wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 8:42 pm Well, I finally prevailed. But, I must say, I did not think it was as much an easy ride as others seem to have. In any event, enjoying volunteering with my son at Best Friends Animal Society in Kanab Utah. If you’re an animal lover, it’s a must.
Looks beautiful! My husband has been working with them to build an animal shelter locally.