MGWCC #727 — “Don’t Look Up”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Bird Lives wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 9:14 am
Bob cruise director wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 12:28 am Only six on the board after 9+ hours
But one of them is this guy with only half a face.
We are up to 8 on the board as of 8:30 this morning
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
ricky

Post by ricky »

Okay, I need a nudge if anyone's figured it out. I think I have step one but beyond that ???
Check out the meta challenge at Lexicon Devil

Latest puzzle: "This Place Looks Familiar," March 7, 2024

Deadline: Tuesday, March 12, 2024, 12 PM EST
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

ricky wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 9:56 am Okay, I need a nudge if anyone's figured it out. I think I have step one but beyond that ???
Well you are further along than lots of us, particularly me. I've only seen oddities that I can make nothing of.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
mattythewsjpuzzler

Post by mattythewsjpuzzler »

Anyone interested in a group session? Maybe tomorrow afternoon?
Joe

Post by Joe »

mattythewsjpuzzler wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 12:48 pm Anyone interested in a group session? Maybe tomorrow afternoon?
I'd definitely be up for that. I have nothing except for a couple things just smell funny.
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
Guffman

Post by Guffman »

mattythewsjpuzzler wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 12:48 pm Anyone interested in a group session? Maybe tomorrow afternoon?
I'm all for that. I do believe it will take a village to unravel this one.
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

Joe wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 1:05 pm I have nothing except for a couple things just smell funny.
I thought I put on cologne - I'm sorry.
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 92. It's a Breeze
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

I’m up for the group solve… someone propose a time. I’m good for it mid-afternoon on.
The other Wendy. :roll:
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

Yes please. I believe I found one of the possible phrases, but also have not found any justification for it.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

OK, so I'm committed most of today, but I could perhaps join a group think at 7:00 PM if anyone is available. Full disclosure, I do not have an awful lot to offer except for noticing things I am sure everyone has (Joe's "smells funny", which I am sure is the response when someone says, "So you were right next to Ronald McDonald...any comments?")
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Uh-oh... not a good sign. Jangler missed his second one ever.
TeamDoubleTow

Post by TeamDoubleTow »

Will watch for a meeting... Although I have little to contribute right now.
Team DoubleTow=Ali who posts here, Alex & Maya the hound(with occasional assistance from son)
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

DrTom wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 3:34 pm OK, so I'm committed most of today, but I could perhaps join a group think at 7:00 PM if anyone is available. Full disclosure, I do not have an awful lot to offer except for noticing things I am sure everyone has (Joe's "smells funny", which I am sure is the response when someone says, "So you were right next to Ronald McDonald...any comments?")
Would that be 7:00 PM EDT? If so I am in.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

Al Sisti wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 5:02 pm Uh-oh... not a good sign. Jangler missed his second one ever.
I have an apt 15-letter phrase in mind that fits the title, but I can’t justify it with the grid. I have to wonder what incorrect entry Jangler submitted. I imagine all his answers have justification behind them and not merely WAGs.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Jeremy Smith wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 6:17 pm
Al Sisti wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 5:02 pm Uh-oh... not a good sign. Jangler missed his second one ever.
I have an apt 15-letter phrase in mind that fits the title, but I can’t justify it with the grid. I have to wonder what incorrect entry Jangler submitted. I imagine all his answers have justification behind them and not merely WAGs.
Yes, from what little I know of him, that's the case.
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

I'm good for a Group Solve at 7 p.m. East Coast time Sunday. I've seen many possibilities but -- obviously -- nothing has panned out. Like many, I have a suitable 15-letter phrase with no support whatsoever except for the title.
Last edited by Wendy Walker on Sat May 07, 2022 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
ajk

Post by ajk »

I’m in for 7 Eastern tomorrow. Not that I have much to contribute. 😂
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
JordanianTomlinson

Post by JordanianTomlinson »

I’m down for zoom tomorrow (though 7 may be a game-time decision with family time). If anyone is interested in a nudge vs. sharing ideas I’m also in.
Joe

Post by Joe »

Wendy Walker wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 8:53 pm I'm good for a Group Solve at 7 p.m. East Coast time Sunday. I've seen many possibilities but -- obviously -- nothing has panned out. Like many, I have a suitable 15-letter phrase with no support whatsoever except for the title.
A few of us met earlier tonight and came up with a bunch of promising leads, but we didn't seal the deal while I was there. I'll be happy to show up again tomorrow. This thing is maddening!
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

7pm Sunday - noted. Wonder what the chances are that this think tank will tank?
The other Wendy. :roll: