MGWCC #727 — “Don’t Look Up”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
Joe Ross

MGWCC #727 — “Don’t Look Up”

Post by Joe Ross »

MGWCC #727 — Friday, May 6th, 2022 — “Don’t Look Up” — WEEK 5 of 5 (April makeup puzzle)

THIS WEEK’S INSTRUCTIONS:

This week’s contest answer is a 15-letter phrase.

REMINDER: This puzzle is Week 5 difficulty level since we swapped April’s 5th Friday for a Week 1 last week.

Deadline for this puzzle is 3 PM ET on Tuesday, May 10th. Giving the extra three hours this time since it’s a Week 5.[/b]

LETTERS TO MARGARET:

Hayley Gold‘s new crossword-based graphic novel is out! It’s called “Letters to Margaret” and is available here:

Its Kickstarter page is here:

I haven’t read it yet but it does look and sound fascinating. Here’s a six-second “preview”!

WANT TO SUBSCRIBE TO MY CROSSWORD CONTEST?:
MGWCC is available only to subscribers at my Patreon page.
A subscription costs $3/month

--Matt
Abide

Post by Abide »

I've got a great 15 letter phrase but no justification. Pondering whether or not to take a shot for first solver...
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
woozy

Post by woozy »

Abide wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 3:31 pm I've got a great 15 letter phrase but no justification. Pondering whether or not to take a shot for first solver...
better you than me

I mean, go for it.

So far. Delightfully impenetrable..... (Got nothing. Not surprising given the time but... got nothing)
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
hashbrown

Post by hashbrown »

Mentally I'm in Week 1 mode but (as a Wordle addict) after last week's sitter, I am not prepared for a weekend of agonising over the grid and clues :cry:
-HB
woozy

Post by woozy »

Abide wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 3:31 pm I've got a great 15 letter phrase but no justification. Pondering whether or not to take a shot for first solver...
Too late.

Whoever Eckless is, would it kill you to send a note of affection to one who has given us all so much joy?
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
Eckless

Post by Eckless »

Woozy - are you talking about the "Love Letter" achievement? I've tried putting in comments with my solutions, etc - don't know how to get that one to register. :)
woozy

Post by woozy »

Eckless wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 3:40 pm Woozy - are you talking about the "Love Letter" achievement? I've tried putting in comments with my solutions, etc - don't know how to get that one to register. :)
Me neither. I think you need to send e-mail and need to say something purely positive and not merely "I noticed in your puzzle you misidentified what a Magpie is. As any ornithologist could tell you, it most certainly is not a tiny songbird. But otherwise I find your puzzles a not unpleasant diversion. When my free three month trial is over, I'm considering possibly renewing."

Believe it or not, that didn't earn me the love letter badge.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Me too. Mine relates only to the title. I can find nothing in the fill or the clues to justify it.
Jay
boharr

Post by boharr »

Bird Lives wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 3:56 pm
Me too. Mine relates only to the title. I can find nothing in the fill or the clues to justify it.
Me three.
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

I look forward to noodling with a Week 5 tonight! (I say that now.)

Lowest Week 5 over the past two years or so was JACK DANIELS (127) in July '21. Let's see what happens this time around!
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 91. You'll Turn It Around
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

MikeyG wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 4:26 pm I look forward to noodling with a Week 5 tonight! (I say that now.)

Lowest Week 5 over the past two years or so was JACK DANIELS (127) in July '21. Let's see what happens this time around!
I need me summa'at:

MGWCC Old No 687 Fifth.png

or these ones (a BlackSmith):

20200703 Blacksmith.jpg
MountainManZach

Post by MountainManZach »

MikeyG wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 4:26 pm I look forward to noodling with a Week 5 tonight! (I say that now.)

I have unreasonably complete stats on the puzzles, and can confirm this is the case.

Going back a little farther, week 5 in Nov '19 #600 "Umpire State of Mind" had only 73 solvers. It's the most recent double-digit completion rate. You have to go back to week 4 Oct '16 #439 "Hidden Power" to find another 73-solver, and week 5 Sep '16 #435 "Six of One" to go lower at 40 solvers. I probably don't need to mention - but will anyway - the reigning champ of week 5 brutality: Feb '14 #296. I didn't recall the answer but shuddered when I saw the title (">1, x2, x2").

I didn't include the answers in case any newer-to-the-game solvers want to check these out. I can't attach .pdfs or .puzs to this post, but get in touch if you want to try #435, #439, or #600 for yourself.

I... have too much time on my hands.
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

MountainManZach wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 5:39 pm

I have unreasonably complete stats on the puzzles, and can confirm this is the case.

Going back a little farther, week 5 in Nov '19 #600 "Umpire State of Mind" had only 73 solvers. It's the most recent double-digit completion rate. You have to go back to week 4 Oct '16 #439 "Hidden Power" to find another 73-solver, and week 5 Sep '16 #435 "Six of One" to go lower at 40 solvers. I probably don't need to mention - but will anyway - the reigning champ of week 5 brutality: Feb '14 #296. I didn't recall the answer but shuddered when I saw the title (">1, x2, x2").

I didn't include the answers in case any newer-to-the-game solvers want to check these out. I can't attach .pdfs or .puzs to this post, but get in touch if you want to try #435, #439, or #600 for yourself.

I... have too much time on my hands.
That's fantastic!! I started only about 100 puzzles ago but gladly started rocking the spreadsheets since!! Great data!
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 91. You'll Turn It Around
Toby

Post by Toby »

Maybe Matt will take pity on us and provide another hint.
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

AArrrrggghhh! I thought I had something really clever and there were exactly 15. Then I saw another. And another. Shoot. (Of course, even when there were a perfect 15 they weren’t getting me anything intelligible.)

Still, can all these really be coincidence??

There could be a zoom group solve in our future…
The other Wendy. :roll:
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Only six on the board after 9+ hours

A true week 5
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
woozy

Post by woozy »

I really don't want my streak to end. And I don't want to whiff my first week 5 but.... Yeah, I'm not sure I'm going to go anywhere. Some things that could be rabbit holes but can't get them to work into anything consistent. I do see one thing that will certainly mean something but... not a single idea how it will build to anything.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Bird Lives wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 3:56 pm
Me too, and I may submit it only because I doubt I have even an outside chance at solving this. I'd almost bet they are similar phrases!!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

^ What he said. I actually have two phrases that could fit perfectly… now if I could only get the grid to work with my ideas….
The other Wendy. :roll:
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 12:28 am Only six on the board after 9+ hours
But one of them is this guy with only half a face.
Jay