MGWCC #727 — “Don’t Look Up”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
ajk

Post by ajk »

Joe wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 7:44 pm
HeadinHome wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 7:37 pm woot! our think tank did NOT tank… props to Heidi for a seed of an idea that grew into a solution… thanks all!

I realize now that I did not check the box for group solve, but it certainly was!
Just send Matt an email and he'll fix it. I've done it more times than I can count. :)
Yeah I've done this at least once. :lol:
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
Sara Dacus

Post by Sara Dacus »

ajk wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 7:46 pm
Joe wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 7:44 pm
HeadinHome wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 7:37 pm woot! our think tank did NOT tank… props to Heidi for a seed of an idea that grew into a solution… thanks all!

I realize now that I did not check the box for group solve, but it certainly was!
Just send Matt an email and he'll fix it. I've done it more times than I can count. :)
Yeah I've done this at least once. :lol:
Same. I get caught up in the rush of submitting :)
Andrew Bradburn

Post by Andrew Bradburn »

I was unable to make the Zoom session. Can anyone give me a nudge or hint to start me in the right direction? I have nothing so far. Thanks.
woozy

Post by woozy »

woozy wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 1:52 pm At 4 pm on Mother's Day I doubt I will be. But I might be begging for nudges come later. ...

It's later. I'm begging.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
bsravanin

Post by bsravanin »

I gave up on solving it this week. It was my first time joining the Zoom Room, and it was wonderful to see you all thinking aloud. Thank you all!
Guffman

Post by Guffman »

That Zoom call felt like I was sitting in a room at Bletchley Park. What an incredible group of people!
Orsys

Post by Orsys »

Got it! A true week 5.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Echo the compliments to the zoomers who came up with the mechanism. NEVER would I have found that on my own. Thanks everyone!
TeamDoubleTow

Post by TeamDoubleTow »

Was in the zoom room last night and the subsequent PMs have dragged us into the tractor beam. Thanks to everyone whose hard work we benefited from.
Team DoubleTow=Ali who posts here, Alex & Maya the hound(with occasional assistance from son)
boharr

Post by boharr »

Beamed up, but to quote Joe, “oof.”
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Thanks to all in the Zoom room! Lovely group solve!
Heidi
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

"Wendy Shank is REALLY smart."
MamaE

Post by MamaE »

Poop - forgot about the zoom room. Anyone who was there willing to give a starting nudge?
- Just puzzling it out here in Delmarva :D
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well that was probably the most amazing, and most difficult, puzzle I have ever seen. The only thing that beats it is the skill and collective brain power of the Zoom Room. From nowhere to solved in about 10 minutes with people thinking aloud and one person (the "other" Wendy) making an observation on another observation that unraveled the whole thing.
Miracle occurs in zoom.jpg

Yeah it's like that!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

I lurked in the Zoom call for a few minutes--I apologize for dropping out, if anyone noticed! I was just spinning my wheels on this one so I figured why not, I was never going to get it otherwise. I stayed just long enough to confirm that I was likely on the right path, but I realized I'd better get out quick or I wouldn't have anything left to solve. It still took me a few more hours to get there on my own, it sounds like it took you guys a few more minutes :-) Thanks for helping untangle my thoughts! (Of course I checked "no" for solo solve.)
ajk

Post by ajk »

DrTom wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 1:18 am Yeah it's like that!
I Photoshopped a version of that cartoon for use on organic exams. :lol:
miracle.png
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
CrossedPurposes

Post by CrossedPurposes »

I would love a nudge or a sharing of minds - I have an observation and a possible starting point but nothing beyond that.
woozy

Post by woozy »

well, the nudge I got from Heading home (after blockheadedly not getting the fair and decent nudges that Dr. Tom and Andrew Bradburn gave me) pretty much handed it to me on a silver platter. I'd be ashamed to enter my entry except.... I got a 15+ week streak going-- I'd sell my grandmother to keep it going.

Tough one. There I am in the high 90s.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
ricky

Post by ricky »

Nudge still needed! <--
Check out the meta challenge at Lexicon Devil

Latest puzzle: "This Place Looks Familiar," March 7, 2024

Deadline: Tuesday, March 12, 2024, 12 PM EST
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

A best nudges are the ones that still allow you to have a really good AHA moment.
Thanks, Joe.
Jay