"To-Go Orders" - May 6, 2022

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
MamaE

Post by MamaE »

Looks like I’m gonna miss out on this one. Going to sleep in a chaise lounge up on the lido deck!
- Just puzzling it out here in Delmarva :D
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

WSJCC To-Go Orders reveal.png
Colin

Post by Colin »

😖
Totally overthought it.
Very nice and clean.
One world. One planet. One future.
escapeartist

Post by escapeartist »

I got this, but thought about it differently.

Take ATOM, I saw as "find a word from "a - TO - m", like they were orders.

Same result, different perspective on the title.

Gimme that mug! :)
* 2022 WSJ Mug Winner - I bask in its Glory *
ZooAnimalsOnWheels

Post by ZooAnimalsOnWheels »

I'll be interested in all the chemistry rabbit holes this could take people down, especially with the clue for 17A mentioning numbers of electrons. With S__P among our letter pairs, I briefly thought the answer might depend on electron shells and orbitals. But I quickly decided that would be madness and then saw the corresponding four-letter answers before I could think of anything else ridiculous.
Plymouthrock

Post by Plymouthrock »

Swimming back to boat.
Deb F

Post by Deb F »

This was one that could easily be overthought for me. Seeing all the “to”s in the long answers, I kept looking at the letters flanking them fora clue. Got me nowhere. Then started on the elements but couldn’t connect anything. Then saw that the to was embedded in 4-letter words and went from there. A fun one for me—because I got it!

Good luck, Muggles. Have a good week.
Mister Squawk

Post by Mister Squawk »

Kind of cool that the related pairs were in adjacent rows in the grid.
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

ZooAnimalsOnWheels wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 1:07 am I'll be interested in all the chemistry rabbit holes this could take people down, especially with the clue for 17A mentioning numbers of electrons. With S__P among our letter pairs, I briefly thought the answer might depend on electron shells and orbitals. But I quickly decided that would be madness and then saw the corresponding four-letter answers before I could think of anything else ridiculous.
At one point, I added up the clue/grid numbers of the theme answers to see if I could arrive at an element’s atomic number. Got 150 and there is no element #150!
jimbo1

Post by jimbo1 »

Ergcat wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 8:17 am
ZooAnimalsOnWheels wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 1:07 am I'll be interested in all the chemistry rabbit holes this could take people down, especially with the clue for 17A mentioning numbers of electrons. With S__P among our letter pairs, I briefly thought the answer might depend on electron shells and orbitals. But I quickly decided that would be madness and then saw the corresponding four-letter answers before I could think of anything else ridiculous.
At one point, I added up the clue/grid numbers of the theme answers to see if I could arrive at an element’s atomic number. Got 150 and there is no element #150!
I did something similar.
The replacement letters for the 4 TO’s were
RU
BI
DI
UM,
All are symbols for elements so I thought about totaling their atomic numbers until I noticed what they spelled.
femullen

Post by femullen »

Might have been madness for you, but it was Aha! for me. I spent forever peering into S, P, D, and F orbitals, counting numerical orders of letters in the alphabet, and any other sort of numerological misdirection you can think of. I didn't take the title into account till late last night: "To-Go," I thought, "as in 'take out?'" Yeah, and as visual cross-correlation integrals identified TO as the common feature, I took that out. I won't say it was smooth sailing from there, but at least some wreckage floated ashore with me in it.
For nudges, feel free to PM me. I won't have a clue how to help you, but you might shove me ashore.
ReB

Post by ReB »

Very maddening this week. I saw the four "TO" in the theme words, expected some kind of substitution, even looked over the other four letter clues, but still didn't see the word frames. Another fumble on the 5-yard line. Sometimes it would feel better if I didn't have a clue, rather than come so close and just go blind at the critical juncture.
Ferris E

Post by Ferris E »

I spent some time poring over the chemical formula for Pepsi, and other scientific diagrams until I just saw it. :geek:
31 Down

Post by 31 Down »

Didn't care for the title since "Orders" didn't figure into the solution as far as I can figure. It did however lead to the rabbit hole of foods. Did anyone notice Ebola under Pepsi, which suggests substituting the b for a c?

Think something like Items To-Go would have been a better title.
Thomas W (since there's already a Tom W)
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

31 Down wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 11:05 am Didn't care for the title since "Orders" didn't figure into the solution as far as I can figure. It did however lead to the rabbit hole of foods. Did anyone notice Ebola under Pepsi, which suggests substituting the b for a c?

Think something like Items To-Go would have been a better title.
Which leads to the question "was it significant that "Orders" is a 6-letter word and all of the key entries had a 6-letter word as the filler?" I'm not certain that it actively did, but it did make me think the answer was contained in those grid entries since the pattern was consistent among all 4 and the title.

Conversely, I learned about Oganesson's existence this weekend since the "o-G" in the title was in the same position as "TO" in the grid entries. I'm not a chemistry person but it was especially interesting that at least one elements list I consulted didn't include it.
khecks

Post by khecks »

MY FIRST EVER CONTEST SOLVE!! :D :D (Naturally, I didn't get a chance to submit my answer in time...but i got there!)
escapeartist

Post by escapeartist »

escapeartist wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 12:22 am I got this, but thought about it differently.

HOLY CARP I WON THE MUG THIS WEEK!

:shock: :shock: :shock:

:D :D :D

8-) 8-) 8-)
* 2022 WSJ Mug Winner - I bask in its Glory *
Barney

Post by Barney »

escapeartist wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 2:27 pm
escapeartist wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 12:22 am I got this, but thought about it differently.

HOLY CARP I WON THE MUG THIS WEEK!

:shock: :shock: :shock:

:D :D :D

8-) 8-) 8-)
Awesome, my friend.

🐟 🎣
yodarkrutch

Post by yodarkrutch »

Thanks to the editors for the bump. My correct answer is rare, but also reflects my normal result for these puzzles of bursting into flame at room temperature.

We are vacating our perch in the Sierras to meet with family on the Gulf Coast. This means we'll be on the shore without taking the step of figuring the META out. And we also got to enjoy a white Mothers' Day!