MEOW #75 Making Points

A weekly meta crossword on the forum started by member Josh (aka madhatter5). These puzzles are often very creative with solving mechanisms out of the norm and skewing towards the more challenging. Puzzles are posted every Wednesday, and the solution appears the following Tuesday.
DrTom

MEOW #75 Making Points

Post by DrTom »

Good Morning! Looks like you’ll be spending your Wednesday with me this week. This little puzzle came to me one day and it really was rather easy to pull together, though the editing process was long and it needed some tweaking before it was good enough for this group.

Josh really seemed to like it, and I do too since I broke one of my cardinal rules. So it is a little different and out of the ordinary. As is my usual protocol, PM me with answers or requests for assistance. Saturday will be nudge day for those still needing one.

I’m not sure where I would rate this one, maybe a Persian-Puma depending on if you see the “trick” early on…but then isn’t that always the case. Hope you all enjoy it!

EDIT: I was reminded that I had not included the prompt in the posting, sorry:

The answer is something to see before you die

Making Points - PUZ

Making Points - PDF

Making Points - spreadsheet

PS - in case anyone sees the title and thinks "Oh NO, another Scrabble one from Tom", this has nothing to do with Scrabble
Last edited by DrTom on Wed May 04, 2022 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Submitted, but waiting confirmation.

Confirmed. The cat is out of the bag!
Last edited by Cinny on Wed May 04, 2022 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cindy Heisler
Cap'n Rick

Post by Cap'n Rick »

Submitted and awaiting also.

UPDATE: Never mind.
Ahoy! Check out my meta puzzles here! Check out "Smooth Sailing Sundays" here!
KayW

Post by KayW »

LOL. The nice thing about senility is you find new and interesting things every day...

As I solved this grid, I kept thinking to myself "This seems so familiar. I KNOW I've seen this before. Has Dr Tom recycled a WSJCC or MGWCC and applied one of his rabbit holes as the metanism?"

A minute or so AFTER I completed the grid, I finally remembered -- I was one of the test solvers for this puzzle :confounded: Oh well. At least I solved it faster this time!

Nice one!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

I think 29D is your finest work. Thanks for the meta!
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

A bagless cat!

Awaiting confirmation, but confident.

Very enjoyable. Thanks, Dr. Tom!
boharr

Post by boharr »

Cat is perched. Answer submitted.
EDIT: Cat has jumped off the perch. Thanks for a fun one, Dr. Tom.
Cap'n Rick

Post by Cap'n Rick »

Aha! Now I really think I have it this time! My cat is gone!

Nice one, @DrTom!
Ahoy! Check out my meta puzzles here! Check out "Smooth Sailing Sundays" here!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

KayW wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 10:22 am LOL. The nice thing about senility is you find new and interesting things every day...

As I solved this grid, I kept thinking to myself "This seems so familiar. I KNOW I've seen this before. Has Dr Tom recycled a WSJCC or MGWCC and applied one of his rabbit holes as the metanism?" Actually that is always a possibility, when I get a good rabbit hole I hate to waste it!

A minute or so AFTER I completed the grid, I finally remembered -- I was one of the test solvers for this puzzle :confounded: Oh well. At least I solved it faster this time!

Nice one!
You should be around our house on Easter, we hide our own eggs!! You were a great tester and I'm glad it was memorable enough to register that you had seen it already!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Dplass wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 10:36 am I think 29D is your finest work. Thanks for the meta!
Thank you, I liked it too. Sometimes when I am doing these I chuckle uncontrollably. I've learned to laugh at my own jokes because I never know if I'll be the only one....
woozy

Post by woozy »

ChrisKochmanski wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 10:53 am A bagless cat!

Did someone say a bagels cat?

I guess I should change my signature, and start promoting this meta: Hungry Little Creature. I was going to sent it to people for testing but I dropped the ball on it.
Meg

Post by Meg »

It came to me driving in my car. Very nice, Dr. Tom! I’ll be submitting shortly.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Darth

Post by Darth »

Cat's out.... May the Fourth be with you all! [edit: ...or ya'll or yous guys or youse]
Attachments
11c362cb399419c732d5b2d83bed5bbe.jpg
Last edited by Darth on Thu May 05, 2022 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

The cat's free. Thanks for the puzzle and the jokes/puns.
MarkWoychick
Site Admin

Post by MarkWoychick »

I think I’m off the couch. Really outstanding clueing this week, Dr. Tom, and a very fun puzzle/solve experience.

Edit: confirmed!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 contest-style (meta) crosswords that we've created to help raise money for cancer-related organizations - get the bundle at http://crosswordsforcancer.com
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

woozy wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 12:57 pm
ChrisKochmanski wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 10:53 am A bagless cat!

Did someone say a bagels cat?

Ah, the famous corned beast on a bagel....I like mine with sauerkat, and maybe a little Russian Blue dressing.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Darth wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 2:50 pm Cat's out.... May the Fourth be with you all!
Well it is actually y'all, but we will forgive your Mason-Dixon indiscretion :)
woozy

Post by woozy »

Darth wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 2:50 pm Cat's out.... May the Fourth be with you all!
Yes, and a happy Dave Brubeck 5/4 to you, too.
I guess I should change my signature, and start promoting this meta: Hungry Little Creature. I was going to sent it to people for testing but I dropped the ball on it.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well as Day 1 draws to a close we have a good start:

TS whimsy
TS Wendy Walker
TS Kay W
1 Cinny
2 ChrisKochmanski
3 boharr
4 Cap'n RIck
5 woozy
6 Meg
7 darth
8 Dplass
9 Dave C
10 dudeski
11 MarkWoychick
12 BarbaraK

Not a bad showing for Star War's Day (or on a good day to "Take Five") but I am hoping that the Force rises up tomorrow before WSJ comes out to solve this puzzle, that would make a lot of points with me! :)
Yoda with CW.jpg
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

The cat is out of the bag. Nice puzzle, Tom!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock: