Watch It! - May 2022

A monthly, music-themed meta crossword published at noon on the first Tuesday of every month. The puzzles increase in difficulty each month, and at year end there is a 13th puzzle (the "Mega-Meta") that invokes each of the 12 monthly puzzles. Currently available at https://pmxwords.com/, as well as through the Washington Post website here: MMMM at WaPo
iggystan

Post by iggystan »

I'm on the board.

(I believe I got full credit, 5 correct/7 points for the year.)
m5rammy

Post by m5rammy »

m5rammy wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 9:26 pm I submitted, but I don't seem to have gotten full credit. Oh well, now I wait and see.
I've gone up another point. Maybe the automated grading system (this is an assumption), was tweaked, or there was an alternate answer accepted.
gpj73

Post by gpj73 »

I have now moved up a point as well - Pete probably has to do manual scoring with the format of the answer.
gpj73 wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 12:03 am I too submitted and got only one point - which is confusing because I’m 99.99% certain I have both answers right … maybe a glitch in the scoring??
burak

Post by burak »

This one is a bit frustrating for me. I got the mechanism during solving, and I got the song from 1999 without even needing to Google (because it's a great song). But NOTHING seems to fit the "hit song from 1970" definition, and there really shouldn't be many options. I've been Googling for 15 minutes now and I've visited a trillion websites to no avail.
DCBilly

Post by DCBilly »

On the board. Needed Google to confirm a whole variety of things.
johnaldape

Post by johnaldape »

burak wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 3:59 pm This one is a bit frustrating for me. I got the mechanism during solving, and I got the song from 1999 without even needing to Google (because it's a great song). But NOTHING seems to fit the "hit song from 1970" definition, and there really shouldn't be many options. I've been Googling for 15 minutes now and I've visited a trillion websites to no avail.
I'm in the exact same boat. Not sure what I'm missing.
SoccerMom

Post by SoccerMom »

My first time getting on the board for an MMMM puzzle! Really fun!
jbird

Post by jbird »

johnaldape wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 4:07 pm
burak wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 3:59 pm This one is a bit frustrating for me. I got the mechanism during solving, and I got the song from 1999 without even needing to Google (because it's a great song). But NOTHING seems to fit the "hit song from 1970" definition, and there really shouldn't be many options. I've been Googling for 15 minutes now and I've visited a trillion websites to no avail.
Add me to the boat - confused as well on 1970
rjy

Post by rjy »

HunterX wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 7:53 pm Okay. I'm on a "dumb" streak. Does COVID, my souvenir from my European trip, cause the kind of brain fog that keeps you from seeing metanisms? While I see the "obvious," in the puzzle, and even can go a step further with it, I get nothing after that. Dead end. my brain says, "That's enough for me, you're on your own now." For either song.

Maybe when I fully recover I'll be able to do meta puzzles again.

Or I can just switch the water I've been chugging for something more alcoholic, then I'd have a much better excuse!

And not care either!!
It’s not the COVID, my friend, since I’m COVID-free but equally dumb. With or without alcohol. More often with.
Ray
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

rjy wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 11:16 am
HunterX wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 7:53 pm Okay. I'm on a "dumb" streak. Does COVID, my souvenir from my European trip, cause the kind of brain fog that keeps you from seeing metanisms? .....

Maybe when I fully recover I'll be able to do meta puzzles again.
It’s not the COVID, my friend, since I’m COVID-free but equally dumb. .....
Hmmm... Not sure that makes me feel better. At least with the COVID excuse, I could hope I'd get better!
Abide

Post by Abide »

No Google needed...not sure if I'm proud or embarrassed. I did verify something on the answers that makes this slightly inelegant, but it appears the alternative answer is being accepted.
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Dare I say that I was unfamiliar with these songs? But for Google and a nudge, I would not be on the board.
Jay
woozy

Post by woozy »

Hmm.... I got the opposite problem. THere are at least three options for the 70s song. But only one for the 99 song.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
Katiedid

Post by Katiedid »

Oh my gosh. I'm in the middle of something where I can't spend much time on this, but I'm not seeing anything beyond the obvious first things to notice. I'm not even close to the 70s song, much less the 99 one. I'll ask for a nudge soon. aargh.
sheeparenotgreen

Post by sheeparenotgreen »

I'm in the feeling stupid camp. I see the obvious thing, that's about it. At least it's only Thursday!
woozy

Post by woozy »

If I did this right (which I may not have) I don't think there *is* anything beyond the obvious things.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
woozy

Post by woozy »

Bird Lives wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 7:55 pm Dare I say that I was unfamiliar with these songs? But for Google and a nudge, I would not be on the board.
I had never heard of either of them either. But googling I was able to solo solve and get on the board.
EmilyW

Post by EmilyW »

jbird wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 12:17 am
johnaldape wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 4:07 pm
Add me to the boat - confused as well on 1970
I'm in the same boat too, glad I'm not alone!
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Katiedid wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 10:58 pm Oh my gosh. I'm in the middle of something where I can't spend much time on this, but I'm not seeing anything beyond the obvious first things to notice. I'm not even close to the 70s song, much less the 99 one. I'll ask for a nudge soon. aargh.
That's my (continual) problem with this one as well. And with MGWCC dropping at 3pm, and my weekly zoom with the kids for the WSJ at 6pm, I may be near the hint stage as well. Which is disappointing since I know all the hit songs from 1970.

And none of them reference any particular metanism that I know of....
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

First off, gotta love having 'my' song plus the short form of my name in the puzzle :)

And 1970 - that's my vintage! Looking through lists from that year, I remember all of them.

Then I tried to way overcomplicate the meta. Saw the obvious and dug deeper and deeper into rabbit holes. Finally backed out and said, wait, what if it's just... And it was.

I remember the 1970 song well; never heard the 1999 one before.

For those still stuck, remember that this is just a May, 2-point puzzle.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)