"Smuggling Goods" by benchen71

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? A weekly meta crossword constructed by forum member Ben (aka benchen71). These metas range from relatively easy to more challenging, depending on how many Australianisms he puts in them! Puzzles are posted in a new thread every Tuesday, with nudges appearing on Saturdays, and the solution coming out on Mondays. (At least, that's the plan. Given he lives in Australia, and they are so far ahead of the US time-zone-wise, things may get posted early!)
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

I've been remiss with posting a solver update. Here's who uncovered what was being smuggled since last time:

Johnny Luau
SJMcK
Laura M
DrTom
Gutman
whimsy
LindaPRmaven
Golem
Cindy Heisler
CPJohnson
Carolyn
Alex R

... bringing us to 34 solvers. Nudges coming tomorrow!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

This morning I can add

Abide
Jim Dean

to the solver list. Let's see if some nudges can shake a few more loose...
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Nudges, in order of increasing blatancy:

1. The main hint is in the title, but there is another symmetrically-placed hint to the theme in the grid.

2. Focus on the clues that include the word "good". (The clue with "Gooding" is not involved!)

3. Knowledge of the theme will help and once you get going you should be able to work out the answer. But a little back-solving might be needed at one point!

4. I had to use the second name of the character who repeats, "I am one with the Force. The Force is with me." in "Rogue One" because that's pretty much the only name of a goodie in that galaxy far, far away that begins with an "I"!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Three more solvers:

Ryan Friedman
SporcleMirror
Spid4567

for a grand total of 39.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Happy Star Wars day for last Wednesday!

Star_Wars_Day_May_The_Fourth.svg.png

Here's the answer to "Smuggling Goods":

Smuggling Goods (solution).png

I definitely agree with those who commented that it's ironic that in a Star-Wars themed puzzle involving smuggling, I didn't include Han Solo! I just couldn't find an appropriate meta answer that involved an H.

As I pointed out in one of the nudges, I had to use Chirrut Îmwe's second name (he's the character in "Rogue One" who repeats, "I am one with the Force. The Force is with me.") because that's pretty much the only name of a goodie in that galaxy far, far away that begins with an "I".

As for the answer, it may be a spoiler for the most recent season of Star Trek Picard, but in the final episode Picard explicitly likens his friends to family. Just one example among many!
Last edited by benchen71 on Sun May 08, 2022 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Er, did you mean Star TREK Picard?
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Dplass wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 7:54 pm Er, did you mean Star TREK Picard?
I did indeed! I clearly had Star Wars on the brain. :D

Reminds me of this meme:

usetheforce.jpg
Jade

Post by Jade »

We got this despite not picking up on the clues needed being the ones with 'good' in them - we just searched for Star Wars characters. Really loved this one!
MMe

Post by MMe »

Just to close the loop: the noun "goodies" for "good guys" seems to not really be in the language here, though for one thing it is easily understandable and for another there is a parallel use of "baddies" that, while it may be a Britishism, is very familiar (as in the meme, "are we the baddies?"). Of course my dialectical ear could just be mistaken about all of this, but I don't think a sentence like "he plays a goody in that film" is idiomatic US English.