X Marks the Spot

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

I’ve submitted but I’m not sure which way to go on this. There is a famous short story that works perfectly and a novel that, as Jay noted, has a varying title history. I went with the novel but we’ll see. Confirmed—actually, the original title of that novel requires more than a single X. BTW, I should have mentioned this first—Great job by Steve!
Last edited by oldjudge on Mon May 02, 2022 10:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Anita

Post by Anita »

I believe we're off the couch. Awaiting confirmation.
markhr

Post by markhr »

oldjudge wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 4:34 pm I’ve submitted but I’m not sure which way to go on this. There is a famous short story that works perfectly and a novel that, as Jay noted, has a varying title history. I went with the novel but we’ll see.
Same here. I went with the novel, with a bit of hesitation. Awaiting confirmation.

Update: Off the couch. The grid was quite a workout, but enjoyable.
Last edited by markhr on Mon May 02, 2022 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Submitted. We'll see.

Edit: Confirmed!
Last edited by hcbirker on Mon May 02, 2022 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heidi
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

I got it, confirmed. A great puzzle, once I figured out what was happening.
Cynthia
edestlin

Post by edestlin »

Confirmed, off the couch!
BrennerTJ

Post by BrennerTJ »

Off the couch. 🛋️
-Tamara
LindaPRmaven

Post by LindaPRmaven »

Is anyone else having trouble private messaging @Thurman8er? He's not recognized as a recipient when I try to PM.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

I like your eight ball. To me that original drawing still looks like a catchers mitt.
KayW

Post by KayW »

LindaPRmaven wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 6:27 pm Is anyone else having trouble private messaging @Thurman8er? He's not recognized as a recipient when I try to PM.
:couch_and_lamp: Submitted.

I did not have a problem PMing - what I did was click on his name in the first post of this thread. When his profile comes up, select "Send private message".
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

I think I'm off the couch.

Edit: Thanks to confirmation, I KNOW that I am off the couch!
Last edited by LadyBird on Tue May 03, 2022 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
woozy

Post by woozy »

oldjudge wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 4:34 pm I’ve submitted but I’m not sure which way to go on this. There is a famous short story that works perfectly and a novel that, as Jay noted, has a varying title history. I went with the novel but we’ll see. Confirmed—actually, the original title of that novel requires more than a single X.
The short story has a different title?
Bird Lives wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 2:30 pm I was doubtful of my answer because of the title's history, but I'm off the couch.
A very slight me too. But the second most predominant and second most noteworthy title still seemed appropriate. (I'd like to see a meta with the current American title--- that's just begging to be meta-ed.)
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

"Off the couch" but opting to stay and finish the story -- and the cookie --
Capturecouchtechnically.PNG
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Off the couch… unless of course I’m not. Will return here in shame if my answer is not confirmed. Fun puzzle for a loooong Monday.
The other Wendy. :roll:
SJMcK

Post by SJMcK »

Off the metaphorical couch pending confirmation. On the literal couch relaxing

Steven McKinney
TeamDoubleTow

Post by TeamDoubleTow »

We think we are off the couch! Fun way to begin the week.
Team DoubleTow=Ali who posts here, Alex & Maya the hound(with occasional assistance from son)
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

I believe I am off the couch - awaiting confirmation from Thurman8er. Nice brain challenge for Monday.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Submitted. Waiting confirmation, but I believe I am off the couch.

Confirmed.
Last edited by Cinny on Tue May 03, 2022 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cindy Heisler
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

I'm a dope but got it eventually. As DrTom says a solve is a solve. Thanks for the puzzle!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Dplass wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 7:01 am I'm a dope but got it eventually. As DrTom says a solve is a solve. Thanks for the puzzle!
Dang right it is - that's my mantra for the MGWCC this week too! Saw something shiny, bent over to pick it up, and it was a quarter. Not sure why I saw it, and it could have been any number of things, but I don't care because I'm a quarter to the good. With THURMAN8ER's puzzle I was Xtra careful and at times Xtra challenged but I went with the short novel and from what I see he might accept both - so maybe TWO quarters this week!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!