MGWCC #726 - “One of These Things Is Not Like the Others”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
Meg

Post by Meg »

If I deduced green, yellow and grey (highly improbable), my first association would be mucous you cough up in various stages of having a cold. Gross, but true. I’m thankful it didn’t work. Are there MGWCC solvers who don’t do Wordle? Pretty sure there are. OTOH, Matt's a big chess fan and I’m not. We all have still managed to solve his chess metas. Successfully transported.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Meg wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:49 pm Are there MGWCC solvers who don’t do Wordle? Pretty sure there are.
That would be me. Vague knowledge about it. Know that you're guessing words with feedback something along the lines of the old "Mastermind" game I used to play as a kid. Although that one just used colored pegs.
Amanda Hugginkiss

Post by Amanda Hugginkiss »

Correct me if I’m wrong, please, but I don’t think 37-down is right.

I’m so relieved this is a week 1. Thank you, Matt!
Meg

Post by Meg »

Amanda Hugginkiss wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:05 pm Correct me if I’m wrong, please, but I don’t think 37-down is right.

According to Wiki, the county seat is Nevada, which I bet in Iowa is pronounced nih vey duh.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

Amanda Hugginkiss wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:05 pm Correct me if I’m wrong, please, but I don’t think 37-down is right.

I sent you a PM.
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
Abide

Post by Abide »

I liked the magpie shoutout. I also think @benchen71 or @madhatter5 could fill that Week 5 Wordle grid.
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

Ha! In at #132 and lovin' it! Thanks to the muggles who got me started on wordle!
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

HunterX wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:38 pm Oh geeze. Is this going to be another double-failure week for me? I get that that would happen last week. But everyone's saying these are so easy.

But I've never played Wordle, though obviously I've heard about it.

Must be the $#%@& allergies and/or head cold I've got. Yeah... That's the reason...
That's how I felt about the the Simpsons week 1 last month:)

Tried this one with downs only, but didn't get very far. Did manage to figure it out without the prompt though.

Had a nice giggle at 59A.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
burghman

Post by burghman »

I’m in. If I were to ever just make a blind guess based on instructions without opening the puzzle, this would have been it. My entire family does Wordle daily and we’ve had discussions about the merits of various first guess words, whether to stick with the same first word each day or rotate, etc. If you haven’t found them, quordle (4 words), octordle (8), and sedecordle (16) are a bunch of fun too. Having lots of crossword experience definitely helps all flavors of *ordle.
If you see that I’ve completed the MGWCC meta, feel free to DM me and I’ll help you out - nudges, confirmations of paths, etc.
Joe

Post by Joe »

I am officially completely and utterly stumped on a Week 1
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Waiting for the tractor beam. I didn't finish the grid, so I'm hoping I didn't jump the gun!

Edit: #174. I had a nasty moment when I scanned the list of successful solvers and somehow missed mine! Checked the "Overall" tab and found my name almost immediately. Fortunately, when I double-checked, there it was. Whew!
Last edited by benchen71 on Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
madhatter5

Post by madhatter5 »

Abide wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:27 pm I liked the magpie shoutout. I also think @benchen71 or @madhatter5 could fill that Week 5 Wordle grid.
Cool idea but why matt why would you reveal such an awesome idea when you could have figured out some way to do it in the future??

I would have tried rhyming entries with those colors like this (see below) but not interested enough to try to get it to work entirely
Screenshot_20220501-014112.jpg
https://pandorasblocks.org/crosswords-for-cancer
MMe

Post by MMe »

Meg wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:17 pm According to Wiki, the county seat is Nevada, which I bet in Iowa is pronounced nih vey duh.
Hard to pronounce it more incorrectly than Nevadans themselves do.
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Beamed up. Happy to see a Week 1. Now back to the WSJ!
Cindy Heisler
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

Beamed at #198. This falls in the category of "ones I got the answer to before I knew why it was the answer."
Alex Boisvert

Post by Alex Boisvert »

Pre-emptive congrats to a bunch of solvers for unlocking that elusive "High Five" achievement this week
Katiedid

Post by Katiedid »

This is really week 1? I'm lost and I play Wordle. I'm also lost on the WSJ. Not my weekend so far.
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

Taken aboard at #209. Fun idea, Matt.
Actually TAKEN might be a decent one to start Wordle with. (Though not a usual one).

We Muggles who are taken with Wordle have great fun over on that thread here on the forum by posting our grid color results and a picture to match the pattern of our efforts.
As always, @whimsy is a star at this.
Yesterday’s Wordle was LARVA. Hard one!
Check it out
viewtopic.php?t=1381&start=2180
Barney

Post by Barney »

woozy wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:37 pm 59A. I love it!

EDIT: Oh, scrod! I'm going to have to make an obnoxious pest of myself again about 37D, Aren't I?
You prompted one of my favorite jokes.

Guy arriving in Boston for the first time, hops in a cab, asks the driver where he can get scrod.

Driver says wow, I've been asked that question many times, but never in the past pluperfect subjunctive.
Barney

Post by Barney »

I think I lost at least 20 IQ points watching that Drew Barrymore clip (just to hear the Gaffney reference).