MGWCC #726 - “One of These Things Is Not Like the Others”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

BELEAMED UP

Guffman

Post by Guffman »

A question for discussion regarding WORDLE:
What 5-letter word do you think would be the most difficult to guess? My vote: PYGMY.
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

Beamed up at 273!

I mean that had to be the answer, but I am still trying to nail down why.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

Guffman wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 8:58 am A question for discussion regarding WORDLE:
What 5-letter word do you think would be the most difficult to guess? My vote: PYGMY.
Maybe not for me....if neither of my first 2 standard starting words come up with anything good, I have 2 words I alternate in the 3rd slot, and one of them is PUDGY.
rjy

Post by rjy »

Beamed up! Attempted downs-only, no-instructions, but had to peek at a few where clues didn’t sufficiently yield the answers without crossing help.

Probably could have gotten the answer without the instructions BUT! I came here to see if anyone solved downs-only, no-instructions, or if inscrutable, but couldn’t help but see the instruction given prominently in bold in the first post :(

Pls remember the spoiler tags for this angle to Matt’s Week 1’s… I realize it was a copy/paste of Matt’s posting, but it was a bit of a spoiler for this solver
Last edited by rjy on Sun May 01, 2022 11:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ray
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Abide wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:27 pm I liked the magpie shoutout.
I would have missed the magpie, but I couldn't finish in Downs Only and had to take the easy way out.
Jay
higgysue

Post by higgysue »

Beamed up. Loved Matt’s humor in 59A. His idea for week 5 sounds scary!
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

lbray53 wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 11:00 am Beamed up at 273!

Same here. But I'm still hesitant to submit, though I guess there's something to be said for losing a 50 badge on a Week One.
Jay
Joe

Post by Joe »

Thanks to a friendly nudge, I was led to see something I didn't notice. Guess it helps to read everything. :roll:
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
KayW

Post by KayW »

Bird Lives wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 11:30 am

Same here. But I'm still hesitant to submit, though I guess there's something to be said for losing a 50 badge on a Week One.
Maybe that could become yet another badge - biggest streak blown on a week one ;)

I was delighted to get home last night and discover the week 1/week 5 switcheroo. It means I get to see that :100: next to my name for at least one week. I actually solved last night but decided to sleep on it before submitting just in case I was wrong.

I also debated trying to knock out the "love letter" badge this week but didn't want it to sound contrived. Maybe I shoulda read today's comics for some ideas before submitting...
Broomhilda_20220501.jpg
https://www.gocomics.com/broomhilda

:alien: :flying_saucer:
Barney

Post by Barney »

I’m on Day 115 playing Wordle, which doubtlessly helped me find this puzzle so easy I was afraid I was missing something more complicated. I have a few friends with whom we share scores daily. One great thing about Wordle is that it’s never going to take more than a few minutes, and you cannot play more than once a day.

I also like Word Hurdle & Square Word, Quordle less so, and beyond that (Wordles times 8 or 16) not happening.
woozy

Post by woozy »

Octordle and Secdecordle have different thought processes entirely. Once you change to that sort of puzzle secdecordle rather easy (but intricate) and fun.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

That's a word I don't think I've ever tried in Wordle as a first guess.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

It has to be the answer, but I've not yet 53D's why.
KayW wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 2:06 pm
Bird Lives wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 11:30 am

Maybe that could become yet another badge - biggest streak blown on a week one ;)

I was delighted to get home last night and discover the week 1/week 5 switcheroo. It means I get to see that :100: next to my name for at least one week. I actually solved last night but decided to sleep on it before submitting just in case I was wrong.

I also debated trying to knock out the "love letter" badge this week but didn't want it to sound contrived. Maybe I shoulda read today's comics for some ideas before submitting...
Broomhilda_20220501.jpg
https://www.gocomics.com/broomhilda

:alien: :flying_saucer:
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
woozy

Post by woozy »

MajordomoTom wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 3:45 pm That's a word I don't think I've ever tried in Wordle as a first guess.
It was a crappy/so-so/fantastic first word for today/yesterday/friday/tomorrow. I'd post my wordle results but that might allow someone to back engineer from today/yesterday/friday/tomorrow's answer to the meta. Of course anyone who is capable and willing to do that deserves the nudge and the win but....
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
madhatter5

Post by madhatter5 »

Guffman wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 8:58 am A question for discussion regarding WORDLE:
Woozy ;)
https://pandorasblocks.org/crosswords-for-cancer
Barney

Post by Barney »

woozy wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 3:43 pm
Octordle and Secdecordle have different thought processes entirely. Once you change to that sort of puzzle secdecordle rather easy (but intricate) and fun.

Not going into that briar patch, nope.

8-)
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Thanks to an explanation of how Wordle works by @ship4u I was able to suss the answer.

Will wait until Wednesday to submit, just cuz.
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Even though I don't do Wordle, I'm on the leaderboard! It'll be interesting to see if my metanism is the officially "correct" one.
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
Barney

Post by Barney »

Wendy Walker wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 9:08 pm Even though I don't do Wordle, I'm on the leaderboard! It'll be interesting to see if my metanism is the officially "correct" one.
It’s quick, fun, and addictive.