MGWCC #726 - “One of These Things Is Not Like the Others”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well I submitted what I feel has to be the answer, but other than "it makes sense" I am not sure why. I've got some ideas but none of them rock solid. Of course I've felt that way about Week 1 puzzles in the past as well. We'll see.

EDIT: Well I am apparently right, not sure why yet, maybe it was just one of those "what else could it be" puzzles. At any rate, new streak of 1
Last edited by DrTom on Sun May 01, 2022 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Abide

Post by Abide »

I tried the meta answer this morning and got five gray squares. Thanks @MattGaffney !
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
higgysue

Post by higgysue »

Abide wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 11:26 pm I tried the meta answer this morning and got five gray squares. Thanks @MattGaffney !
Me too!
Katiedid

Post by Katiedid »

Finally. I went through the puzzle again and now I'm confident about my answer. Pending confirmation, I'm beaming up.
I love Wordle. I also play Byrdle, and Spanish Wordle. I tried Quordle... once. It was crazy. Maybe I'll try it again.
Andrew Bradburn

Post by Andrew Bradburn »

Guffman wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 8:58 am A question for discussion regarding WORDLE:
What 5-letter word do you think would be the most difficult to guess? My vote: PYGMY.
One time that I didn't get it in 6 was when I had _ATCH on turn 2, having used LATCH, and getting green on the last four letters. I still hadn't tried B, a second C, a second H, M, P or W, and ran out of turns. There are plenty of fairly common words that differ by just one letter, like this example. Something like that would get my vote for most difficult.
DCBilly

Post by DCBilly »

Got the answer at first without using the title or seeing the mechanism. That took additional effort, but I got it, submitted it, and got the overnight confirmation.
woozy

Post by woozy »

Andrew Bradburn wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 2:03 am
Guffman wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 8:58 am A question for discussion regarding WORDLE:
What 5-letter word do you think would be the most difficult to guess? My vote: PYGMY.
One time that I didn't get it in 6 was when I had _ATCH on turn 2, having used LATCH, and getting green on the last four letters. I still hadn't tried B, a second C, a second H, M, P or W, and ran out of turns. There are plenty of fairly common words that differ by just one letter, like this example. Something like that would get my vote for most difficult.
Then your third guess should be CAMPS
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
Orsys

Post by Orsys »

Well, got it. But didn't have that satisfying "click". The word I use as first guess in Wordle has served me well. So think I will stick with it.
HoldThatThought

Post by HoldThatThought »

Yes, absent the "well, this has to be the answer", the mechanism is lost on me, as well, especially as it's a Week 1 mechanism. The puzzle title isn't "speaking to me", and neither are - what logic suggests must be - the key grid entries.

I solved from my knowledge of "word that's a common first guess in Wordle", and my answer would have been exactly the same if I hadn't read the title of this puzzle, or even actually filled in the grid.

I'm sure this is going to be a perfectly logical answer with a Week 1 mechanism that completely escaped me.
Barney

Post by Barney »

woozy wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 10:04 am
Genius level there, Woozy.
Andrew Bradburn

Post by Andrew Bradburn »

woozy wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 10:04 am
You are right! I should have thought of that.
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

Forgot to post that I beamed up yesterday. The answer makes perfect sense to me.
mpmanning

Post by mpmanning »

Beam me up! Can't wait for the week 5 that got replaced by this much easier week 1.
ajk

Post by ajk »

Got the answer from Wordle knowledge but needed a kindly nudge to explain how to get it from the grid. :)
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
woozy

Post by woozy »

ajk wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 4:41 pm Got the answer from Wordle knowledge but needed a kindly nudge to explain how to get it from the grid. :)
Are you still taking that as a solo solve? (I think it'd be fair to) I'm curious to know what the mechanism is but I guess there'll be enough chatting the day after tomorrow.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
ajk

Post by ajk »

woozy wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 7:22 pm
ajk wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 4:41 pm Got the answer from Wordle knowledge but needed a kindly nudge to explain how to get it from the grid. :)
Are you still taking that as a solo solve? (I think it'd be fair to) I'm curious to know what the mechanism is but I guess there'll be enough chatting the day after tomorrow.
I didn't, no. That is, I checked 'no' for the solo solve question. My personal take is that the solve requires the rationale, but I wouldn't begrudge anyone else their own interpretation.
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
woozy

Post by woozy »

Can I turn in my answer yet?

Or do I actually have to wait till Wednesday to get the Wednesday Warrior badge? I'm getting really impatient and want to submit my answer (as if coming in at 600 isn't bad enough....)
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

Submitted the correct answer a couple of days ago (on the board); now awaiting to see how I was "supposed" to get it. :-)
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Looks like Joon forgot to post the Fiend write up
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

Per Matt’s website, the contest runs to 3:00 PM today.