"Scale Back" - April 29, 2022

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
KayW

Post by KayW »

Jace54 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 10:28 am I also got detoured by “triad”, but I do not see that anybody else has commented on Taps at 1A. That song only uses three notes, which I learned from Google is the C Major triad (notes C, E, and G). Took me a long time to give up on that path.
That's exactly the wrong turn I took at first. I finally asked someone who had already solved to :thumbsdown: it for me so I could move on to something else.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
EmilyW

Post by EmilyW »

I'm the opposite of most of the commenters in that REACHES was the first one I saw, and I doubt I would have come up with DOCENT without the help of the Zoom. I don't think I have ever used that word outside of a crossword.
femullen

Post by femullen »

I feel like the schoolboy who didn't do his weekend homework.

I ran out of time, so, alas,
The meta, I gave it a pass.
You may think it strange
Spending time at the range
And flogging the river for bass.

I have a braggable smallmouth to share as soon as I figure out how to insert photos.

And no, I had no clue on the meta. Worked on it Friday. Wouldn't have made a difference if I'd spent all day Saturday and Sunday as well.
Last edited by femullen on Mon May 02, 2022 12:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
For nudges, feel free to PM me. I won't have a clue how to help you, but you might shove me ashore.
Ben B

Post by Ben B »

Like Wendy and Marge (honored to be in their company) I looked closely at the clues and spent almost a hour thinking how could “key signature” not be significant? Those clues were so oddly worded. Thankfully DoCent and TiAra ushered me to the beach.
boharr

Post by boharr »

MaineMarge wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 9:00 am No wonder our non-musical Muggles had hard times with this.
Actually, I think my woeful lack of music knowledge (remember my offer to NOT sing if I got a beer) helped me on this one. I was oblivious to all the rabbit holes that others found. I did know DO RE MI, but I had to look up Cantata.
woozy

Post by woozy »

Way back a columnist for the San Francisco Chronicle (Steve Rubenstein) did a column about whether it was fair to sucker punch someone in Scrabble. He had played ACHE. His girlfriend had added a D to make ACHED. And he said, as he placed down his R and E tiles, "If you ache for a second time, you re-ache, and if it happened in the past you re-ached". His girlfriend protested and asked him to take them back and he asked if she challenged. So she did as she was certain re-ache can not be acceptable. Later she accused him of cheating and he wasn't sure whether he had or hadn't.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
boharr

Post by boharr »

EVJ wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 11:14 am I kept thinking “GUIDE?” Really?!? I should know by now that when something just doesn’t ring true it’s a huge clue.
Me too. As I filled in the grid I started to write "docent" only it didn't fit. So, yes, someone else to listen to when something doesn't ring true -- yourself.
Inca

Post by Inca »

boharr wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 12:31 pm
EVJ wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 11:14 am I kept thinking “GUIDE?” Really?!? I should know by now that when something just doesn’t ring true it’s a huge clue.
Me too. As I filled in the grid I started to write "docent" only it didn't fit. So, yes, someone else to listen to when something doesn't ring true -- yourself.
Right. And since when is a "bejeweled topper" in a crossword a CROWN and not a TIARA? Having said that, although I thought DOCENT and TIARA when I filled the grid, it took me a loong time to put it all together, for some reason.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

boharr wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 12:27 pm
MaineMarge wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 9:00 am No wonder our non-musical Muggles had hard times with this.
Actually, I think my woeful lack of music knowledge (remember my offer to NOT sing if I got a beer) helped me on this one. I was oblivious to all the rabbit holes that others found. I did know DO RE MI, but I had to look up Cantata.
Now we know how to make Bob pay for his "free" beer... YAY!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

So how many tried playing the 'notes' in the theme answers and listening for some familiar tune? It's got to be there, right? Even ends on a C. Or maybe three at a time. Or try to fit it in with Taps somehow - a music clue at 1 across has to be relevant to the theme, right? So many rabbit holes.

My first attempt with do-re-mi was adding them to the end of the theme entries because 'guide dog' seemed so perfect. It was a day later before I thought of using them to start new answers.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
iggystan

Post by iggystan »

I was definitely thinking chords at first because of TRIAD, but that obviously didn’t work with all of the starred clues. Maybe it was in my brain lying dormant, but I thought both DOCENT and TIARA first for those two clues, and yesterday when I was looking at it again, CENT jumped out and I was off to the races. FA-THERED was my last find; THERED was definitely an odd fill and I should have mentally “asterisk”ed that one.
billkatz

Post by billkatz »

woozy wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 12:29 pm Way back a columnist for the San Francisco Chronicle (Steve Rubenstein) did a column about whether it was fair to sucker punch someone in Scrabble. He had played ACHE. His girlfriend had added a D to make ACHED. And he said, as he placed down his R and E tiles, "If you ache for a second time, you re-ache, and if it happened in the past you re-ached". His girlfriend protested and asked him to take them back and he asked if she challenged. So she did as she was certain re-ache can not be acceptable. Later she accused him of cheating and he wasn't sure whether he had or hadn't.
I used to love Steve Rubinstein's columns - back when I got a paper in the paper form...
woozy

Post by woozy »

billkatz wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 2:17 pm
woozy wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 12:29 pm Way back a columnist for the San Francisco Chronicle (Steve Rubenstein) did a column about whether it was fair to sucker punch someone in Scrabble. He had played ACHE. His girlfriend had added a D to make ACHED. And he said, as he placed down his R and E tiles, "If you ache for a second time, you re-ache, and if it happened in the past you re-ached". His girlfriend protested and asked him to take them back and he asked if she challenged. So she did as she was certain re-ache can not be acceptable. Later she accused him of cheating and he wasn't sure whether he had or hadn't.
I used to love Steve Rubinstein's columns - back when I got a paper in the paper form...
Whatever happened to him--- I ask rhetorically knowing full well I can wiki the information....
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

Many of those same rabbit holes but unfortunately I never saw the DO RE MI, even though I was rather surprised by CROWN instead of TIARA.

One of my meta how-to hints revolves around the word BACK when it appears in a title--think backwards. So I tried going backwards 8 letters (a scale) from the first letter of the *answers. Of course, that was gibberish. Tried going back from the first ABCDEFG in each *answer--again gibberish. Then I thought--try going forward 8 letters from the last letter of the *answers. I did come up with ARIA ACE, which is a brand of flamenco guitar but that just didn't seem very elegant.

Here's hoping my luck/skill turns soon!
escapeartist

Post by escapeartist »

LadyBird wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 2:28 pm
One of my meta how-to hints revolves around the word BACK when it appears in a title--think backwards. So I tried going backwards 8 letters (a scale) from the first letter of the *answers. Of course, that was gibberish. Tried going back from the first ABCDEFG in each *answer--again gibberish. Then I thought--try going forward 8 letters from the last letter of the *answers. I did come up with ARIA ACE, which is a brand of flamenco guitar but that just didn't seem very elegant.
My first try with the scale used OD, ER, IM, AF, etc.. and got nowhere
* 2022 WSJ Mug Winner - I bask in its Glory *
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

Some of my patients at the wildlife hospital that I volunteer at--Great Horned Owlets.

And what will be their dinner. I joked with the staff that they should put one of these in the freezer section at the grocery. 8-)
20220425_105258.jpg
20220404_120902.jpg
drbockel2

Post by drbockel2 »

I drowned.
Richard

Post by Richard »

When I saw 'Museum Worker" I thought Docent but only 5 letters. When I saw "Bejeweled Topper" I tried to put in Tiara. After completing the gird, looked at the title and was off to find the rest. I had it as Do Ra Mi Fa So Thought it had to be Solace but could not find the LACE.

Very good meta imho,
PhantomPhan

Post by PhantomPhan »

Did I miss the stats post, or is that still coming?
...Remember there are worse things than a shattered chandelier...

If you see I'm ashore and need a nudge, feel free to message me.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

PhantomPhan wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 9:36 am Did I miss the stats post, or is that still coming?
MikeMillerWSJ posts