"Scale Back" - April 29, 2022

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
WSJosh

Post by WSJosh »

Once again, at sea, but without much work on it. Busy weekend.
Bonnibel

Post by Bonnibel »

OMG I finally had the AHA moment....

I literally danced around this all weekend.

I was not about to let Covid win this one!

Still, just water rocks.

Cheers!
🌴🍹
Hammertime

Post by Hammertime »

Didn’t spend stupid time on this, but tried nonetheless and got commensurate results. Count me among Isaac’s patrons for the official tally.
Deb F

Post by Deb F »

LAS. Haven't had a lot of time to devote to this. When I first saw the puzzle, thought it could be solvable--then I tried to solve it. Sigh. So, spent the weekend in La La Land. Not connecting this week. With only 12 pages, seems I'm not alone!

Good luck, Muggles.
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

It took not one but two Coast Guard cutters to haul me to shore. Thanks to the kind muggles who offered help. The nudges allowed to still have some of that AHA excitement! Obviously, no mug submission but I can put my poor mind to rest. Many kudos to those who solved and good luck with that darned mug!

I've already had my drink--a margarita at the Cinco de Uno dinner with my mother-in-law after the handbell concert.
Colin

Post by Colin »

LadyBird wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 9:33 pm Once again, I AM in a sERIous meta slump--I see nothing beyond the first step as I sCAN the grid. I was sAVing my bird post until the end, in hopes that I could say I was swimming through the OCean on my way to shore. And yET, here I am--still at the bar. Maybe lightning will strike in the next few hours.

I even went to a concert this afternoon (handbells), but no meta inspiration.

Henderson Bird Viewing Preserve, Nevada, April 2012
For a moment, I thought you were going to call out the AMERICAN ROBIN, which has become my arched nemesis this last couple of weeks. Nice to see them around the house and hear their song, but being territorial birds, they attack other robins that encroach in their patch… including their own reflections in our many windows: tap, tap, tap every morning and all through the day. I put wire plant frames in the way, but those just made a perfect perch - and we all know what birds do when they perch… eeuughhh! After scrubbing the door step clean today, I used screen mesh with painters tape to reduce the reflection. After a short silence, he has now moved up to the large window above our door which is tougher to cover. If anyone has a tried and tested simple solution, a PM would be much appreciated!
One world. One planet. One future.
Magistra

Post by Magistra »

Hail Mary time for me. Haven't been connecting for a few weeks now.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

WSJCC Scale Back reveal .png
PhantomPhan

Post by PhantomPhan »

SO GOOD. We were on the wire on this one. Sent it in around 9pm Colorado time. Great meta.
...Remember there are worse things than a shattered chandelier...

If you see I'm ashore and need a nudge, feel free to message me.
ZooAnimalsOnWheels

Post by ZooAnimalsOnWheels »

DoCENT was my way into this one. I spent a little while staring at the answers to the starred clues before I went back to the starred clues themselves and noticed that at least some of them were ripe for alternate answers. I had to back-solve for ReACHES, because even after I knew it had to start with an A and probably end with an S, I said "RE-ACHES" to myself about five times before realizing how to pronounce it.
escapeartist

Post by escapeartist »

ZooAnimalsOnWheels wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 12:10 am DoCENT was my way into this one. I spent a little while staring at the answers to the starred clues before I went back to the starred clues themselves and noticed that at least some of them were ripe for alternate answers. I had to back-solve for ReACHES, because even after I knew it had to start with an A and probably end with an S, I said "RE-ACHES" to myself about five times before realizing how to pronounce it.
same here!
* 2022 WSJ Mug Winner - I bask in its Glory *
mheberlingx100

Post by mheberlingx100 »

Tiara first then Docent were my path on this. Reaches was the last one for me too.
PhantomPhan

Post by PhantomPhan »

Docent here, too, was the way.
...Remember there are worse things than a shattered chandelier...

If you see I'm ashore and need a nudge, feel free to message me.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Before I made the do re mi connection, I took the 56 down clue as a hint. Went down a rabbit hole of computer keys that fit the clues (support in times of stress -( bracket) bejeweled topper(-star) unimportant(-less than) and then hit a wall. Wadded it up and started over. Saw "thered with fa- in front and that was it.
Heidi
CopperRiver

Post by CopperRiver »

I had to back solve REACHES too. My early grid mistake of putting TIARA for CROWN finally got me to see how to use the scale notes. With seven clues and the title I knew the scale had to be in use somehow. Took me awhile to see it.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

C=64 wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:08 pm On the beach! 🏖️

It took a couple of looks before I figured out what was going on.

And why the heck is the pdf named XWDtreacherous instead of XWD04292022? (Not really a spoiler but I'm playing safe.)
XWDenchanted, I'm sure
Abide

Post by Abide »

My entry point was thinking seven asterisks equal seven notes, and then CROWN/TI-ARA. I had Museum DO-NOR in my first runthrough so that took a little time to sort out.
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

For this musical puzzle, I too had a tune running through my head --

"...And the vision that was planted in my brain....still remains..."
tempsniptiara.png
31 Down

Post by 31 Down »

A most noteworthy meta! As I said before, one of my all-time faves even though it took awhile. That TRIAD in the center was a devilish deke.
Thomas W (since there's already a Tom W)