"Capital Intensive" - April 24, 2022

Available by emailing a request to PandorasBlocksWMC[at]gmail[dot]com, these meta puzzles are distributed by email every Sunday. Pandora's Blocks crosswords are intended to spread the popularity of meta crosswords, however, they are not just for beginners and run the gamut it terms of difficulty.
hashbrown

"Capital Intensive" - April 24, 2022

Post by hashbrown »

Will's readout:

This week's puzzle: Capital Intensive
Difficulty: Medium

[See puzzle for answer prompt].
(Some people will need Google, some won't. Such is life. YMMV.)

Crosshare link: https://crosshare.org/crosswords/8kLjc2 ... -intensive
-HB
Cap'n Rick

Post by Cap'n Rick »

Out of the box. Fun one, Will!
Ahoy! Check out my meta puzzles here! Check out "Smooth Sailing Sundays" here!
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Nicely done Will!
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

🦕 me. Great job Will!
Meg

Post by Meg »

🦕🦕🦖 That was fun!
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
boharr

Post by boharr »

Out of the box. Fun one. And now there is time for baseball this afternoon.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Dino me!

Terrific puzzle, Will!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Very clever! I’m out of the box
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
ricky

Post by ricky »

I'm struggling... first two lines of attack haven't worked so far... No nudge request just yet...

Edit: I got it but I'm still not sure how I got it
Check out the meta challenge at Lexicon Devil

Latest puzzle: "This Place Looks Familiar," March 7, 2024

Deadline: Tuesday, March 12, 2024, 12 PM EST
MamaE

Post by MamaE »

Out of the box! After two weeks of almost got it I’m a happy lady!
- Just puzzling it out here in Delmarva :D
Dannyvee

Post by Dannyvee »

After whiffing the last two weeks it feels good to Dino again
🦖
I can be found in Sheridan, NY, veejaying. (8)
MarkWoychick
Site Admin

Post by MarkWoychick »

Solved/confirmed on Crosshare - thanks for the puzzle, Will.

Backsovled based on what I thought was the mechanism and was confirmed. May have lucked out on landing the correct answer (2% chance of a correct guess, right?). May have to come back to the puzzle to fill in the gaps/fully confirm the mechanism, but likely after a Sunday nap if I do.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 contest-style (meta) crosswords that we've created to help raise money for cancer-related organizations - get the bundle at http://crosswordsforcancer.com
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

The meta prompt is puzzling in the extreme! I'm not finding a way into this one. I'm tempted to brute force it by guessing capitals until I find the answer. Then at least I can get on with the rest of my day!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
SJMcK

Post by SJMcK »

Unboxed. Capital puzzle!

Steven McKinney
AnswerPfinder

Post by AnswerPfinder »

benchen71 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:40 pm I'm tempted to brute force it by guessing capitals until I find the answer.
I hate to be "that guy" but I've already informed several other solvers that their "correct" answer submissions will not earn them entry into April's mug drawing because they cycled through all the possible state capitals until they got the right one.

The reason I allow multiple attempts is so that folks can learn from their wrong answers and improve their meta-solving skills! If you get stuck, please feel free to send me an email (or PM one of the Muggles) to get a hint! I kindly request that folks not take advantage of the wonderful instant-feedback system that @miked worked so hard to implement!

To the vast majority of folks that solved this one "legitimately" - thank you for solving! I hope you enjoyed it! I was especially pleased with how clean this grid turned out. I really enjoy and appreciate all of your kind comments on this forum and on Crosshare :D
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
C=64

Post by C=64 »

I have a printed grid with probably too much highlighted stuff. Thankfully, the printer printed two copies so it will be easy to try again. 😅
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

AnswerPfinder wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:51 pm
benchen71 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:40 pm I'm tempted to brute force it by guessing capitals until I find the answer.
I hate to be "that guy" but I've already informed several other solvers that their "correct" answer submissions will not earn them entry into April's mug drawing because they cycled through all the possible state capitals until they got the right one.
Fair enough. The guesses I have tried so far were "educated" ones based on what I was seeing in the grid. But I'm going to have to PM you for a nudge, I think! Stay tuned... :D

EDIT: Nudge received and now I am out of the box, or dinoed, or whatever!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
BrennerTJ

Post by BrennerTJ »

🦕
-Tamara
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

Dino me!
woozy

Post by woozy »

AnswerPfinder wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:51 pm

That's reasonable. But I assure you, I had a reason for my first wrong guess. (But will you believe me when I say that 31 more times?)

EDIT:

Had the AHA moment! My second and final guess was not random.

Good puzzle. Great AHA moment. But I do have one question though.
Last edited by woozy on Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.