MGWCC #725 - “Black Is the New Black”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
mindle

Post by mindle »

Wow, what a cool puzzle! I thought I had solved it, so what a surprise to come here and see Joe Ross's graphic!

Like DrTom mentioned, I took 1A to be a helper clue, saw "DRK LIN" across the middle, filled that in as a dark line, and submitted BARBELL. I thought it seemed a little too simple for week 4, but I guess it was accepted as an alternate answer.

I also noticed the A's, C's, and L's at 12 & 6 o'clock, but didn't get to the eight ball. Such a great idea!
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

At first I ERASED all the letters in BLACK. Obviously that didn't work. It took @Meg to say "get a Sharpie" for me to do the right thing. Wow, what a puzzle!
Heidi
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

This was a good week to use

https://boisvert42.github.io/mechapuzzle/

I'd noticed lots of b,l,a,c,k in the grid but was hesitant to black them out on my paper copy in case that was the wrong approach.

The website confirmed that they were over-represented and also showed the pattern.

(Then I went back and blackened my paper copy - just to be sure, or to see the pretty picture properly, or because I'm obsessive or something:)
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
MarkWoychick
Site Admin

Post by MarkWoychick »

I tried a number of the paths already described here and also thought I was onto something thinking that “B-lack is the new Black” might be the path, but I couldn’t make anything out of the grid answers by removing the Bs. I needed nudges, some squinting, and ultimately Joe’s spreadsheet to see the light (or the dark, in this case)
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 contest-style (meta) crosswords that we've created to help raise money for cancer-related organizations - get the bundle at http://crosswordsforcancer.com
NoFeetMcGee

Post by NoFeetMcGee »

Dangit, I started a new job this past Thursday, and for the first time I just totally forgot about the MGWCC until today when it was too late :roll: and once I actually did the puzzle I got the answer in ~12 minutes... which would've been my fastest-ever week 4 :lol:
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Wow! The revealers just keep getting more and more impressive!
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)