MGWCC #725 - “Black Is the New Black”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
Joe Ross

MGWCC #725 - “Black Is the New Black”

Post by Joe Ross »

MGWCC #725 — Friday, April 22nd, 2022 — “Black Is the New Black”

THIS WEEK’S INSTRUCTIONS:

This week’s contest answer is a piece of sports equipment.

Solve well, and be not led astray by words intended to deceive.

WANT TO SUBSCRIBE TO MY CROSSWORD CONTEST?:
MGWCC is available only to subscribers at my Patreon page. A subscription costs $3/month.
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

Most nervous I've been, haha: I refreshed, saw the time of update was after I submitted but I wasn't on the leaderboard - and I was on the overall, which would've signaled an incorrect guess.

But another refresh shows I'm beamed up! Time to write a few more metas, just because (I have a while before I'm caught up to @benchen71's prolific backlog!!).
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 92. It's a Breeze
Meg

Post by Meg »

#16. I had the same experience as MikeyG. I guess there’s a time warp out there in Matt's universe. Fun puzzle!
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
LesY

Post by LesY »

Me three. There was a moment where I was on the overall list but not the solved list (gulp!).

But I’m beamed up at #19. Much different experience than WSJCC.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Beamed up, #39! I was on the board almost instantly, nice to solve within the first hour :-) No glitch for me but there wasn't really time for one.
KayW

Post by KayW »

:alien: :flying_saucer: Probably the fastest ever week 4 solve for me. And transported instantaneously to boot.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
docison

Post by docison »

This was nice. Not my strong suit as far as mechanisms, but well executed for sure!
JennyByrd

Post by JennyByrd »

I am shocked to report that I’ve solved this. First thing I tried worked. Submitted and awaiting confirmation.
Joe

Post by Joe »

Can’t even believe how quickly I got it. It’s one those that I could see myself staring at all weekend. But I’m safely beamed aboard!
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
ricky

Post by ricky »

Beamed up in the 30s. I don't know how Matt comes up with these ideas and says, "Oh yeah, I can make that work."
Check out the meta challenge at Lexicon Devil

Latest puzzle: "This Place Looks Familiar," March 7, 2024

Deadline: Tuesday, March 12, 2024, 12 PM EST
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

Awaiting beamage but this one was a lot of fun and definitely creatively built. I wonder if this or the WSJ will have more correct entries this weekend, seeing as how there's 100 on the board in the first 4 hours...

Edit: 103!
woozy

Post by woozy »

Sports?!?!

Wasn't it bad enough that the WSJ was cars?
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Beam me up! (Awaiting confirmation...)

Edit: #113
Last edited by benchen71 on Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
twelvetones

Post by twelvetones »

Awaiting a site update, but 99.9% sure I'm on board too. Loved it! My wife (looking over my shoulder) actually saw the answer before I did.
- John Berry
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Well that was quick! And fun. One of my puzzle-doing methods came in very handy. Waiting for refresh, but no doubts.

Beam me up!
The other Wendy. :roll:
Amanda Hugginkiss

Post by Amanda Hugginkiss »

Can’t believe I got a week 4!
woozy

Post by woozy »

So the WSJ has an obvious mechanism that utterly fails. And the MGWCC obviously has no mechanism at all-- yet everyone says this impossible mechanismless puzzle was easy. .... Not a good weekend for me.
Last edited by woozy on Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Beamed up!
stmv

Post by stmv »

I literally had to sleep on this. I sort of had a hazy idea of what was going on last night, and then I woke up (too early) this morning with a much sharper idea of what to do. It took a while to sort it all out since I'm traveling and don't have a printer, but I eventually got there. For the second time this got me the badge for a streak of 10, but with week 5 coming up my streak may be short-lived.

My travels have me in Prague, where I submitted my answer at 8:14 am this morning (2:14 am on the East Coast), so I wasn't expecting to see my name on the leaderboard any time soon, but it appeared almost immediately. This makes me think that Matt was again up late with Ada, and he happened to do an update before turning in again. I have great sympathy for the parents of babies who don't sleep at night.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Beam me up!