"Dude, Where's My Car?" - April 22, 2022

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Flying_Burrito

Post by Flying_Burrito »

Commish, count me on the ship with Isaac. Wifey is already getting mad because she knows my OCD as I will spend more weekend time trying to solve: she doesn't understand that once you get bitten by the meta bug there is no going back.
Senor Guaca Mole :mrgreen:
boharr

Post by boharr »

Scott M wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:57 am Firmly ensconced at Isaac's bar. Continuing to chase rabbits as I see them, but with a baseball game to attend this afternoon, a party tonight, and golf tomorrow, opportunities will be limited. Maybe inspiration will strike, but not likely based on the previous comments.
Baseball game, party, golf. Who needs metas? Enjoy.
boharr

Post by boharr »

Conrad wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:29 am
Joe Ross wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:24 am
CPJohnson wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:13 am
It's possible to solve a meta without seeing the entire mechanism, and that's not the constructor's fault. Feel free to PM me to discuss, or read my https://crosswordfiend.com writeup that I'll post at midnight tomorrow, where I will discuss this issue in detail.
You're that Conrad? Who knew?
katnahat

Post by katnahat »

Well, the pieces are not conventional. If there ARE meta conventions. I know, I know, the meta constructors can do whatever they want. And I support their freedom to construct as they wish. Still, I have come to expect a certain orderliness to their processes, and this puzzle has randomness. IMHO. (Moderators, please remove if you think this contains spoilers.)
No spoilers, but I disagree 100% and think your comment might lead others away from solving.

This is a solid meta. Difficult to be sure, but in perfect order in its construction.

Feel free to PM me to discuss.
I agree with Joe. There is zero randomness to the solution: it is a 100% lock.

It's possible to solve a meta without seeing the entire mechanism, and that's not the constructor's fault. Feel free to PM me to discuss, or read my https://crosswordfiend.com writeup that I'll post at midnight tomorrow, where I will discuss this issue in detail.
I will say that reading the suggestions in the COME ABOARD:FAQ COMMUNITY/SOLVING RESOURCES (several times!) is really helpful over time, as is solving old crossword contest metas or at least reading their threads to see how they were solved. Also, the Zoom calls are very educational and helpful in learning what to look for. And I also agree with Joe.
Kathie
anaerobe

Post by anaerobe »

With Isaac. But if they show even one Ashton Kutcher movie in this bar, I'm going over the rail.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

boharr wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:40 am
Conrad's reviews on crosswordfiend are highly recommended. 👍🏻👍🏻
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good Saturday muggles on whichever road you are wandering down.

The ship tender drives would appreciate good tips as they have not had much business this weekend. But Isaac is having a good week. He has opened a second bar on the lido deck by MaineMarge's gardens

We have 42 on the ship and 51 on the shore, many with help from the Coast Guard

And we have several new muggles - ray, zelq, Cassiopeia414 and Meta Muser - Welcome to the group and if you have any questions, please feel free to ask. If they are regarding this week's meta, put them in a PM to anyone

In the ship's bars are

dplass
femullen
Gman
meowmiao71
hunkra
GTIJohnny
shalmanezer
Elizabeyth
Bill Bovard
ray
Jennifer
Mike H
Tina
Moi
HeadinHome
Henry Paul
Janet P
CromsFury
zelq
C=64
whimsy
ky-mike
Heidi
Magistra
Jace54
JeanneC
ricky
rjy
MaineMarge
relic (and Maggie)
curtremarks
Joes and Natasha
vandono
MamaE
Commodore
LittleGood
czeemuggle
Cassioeia414
Scott M
Flying_Burrito
eagle1279
Anaerobe

And with a lot of room on the shore are

darth
joequavis
Barbara K
Brian M
Cindy
Joe R
boharr
Laura
Eric P
oldjudge
Meg
Bill
Amanda Hugginkiss
Kay
Beth T
EmilyW
docison
Toby
BrennerTJ
Chris
benchen71
Meta Muser
Jean
turbotron
Les
MarkWoychick
Wendy
Al Laubenstein
NebFaninCA
Glyn
escapeartist
Acari
CPJohnson
lisajoy
lbray
RDaleHall
Richard
Ron
MatthewL
MajorDomoTom
Adajeo
Eric C
pipster
Cuse
bagman
Joepickett
joe
EVJ
Don and Cynthia
katnahat
JaneGummy

Good luck to all finding the meta answer
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Barney

Post by Barney »

Well, the pieces are not conventional. If there ARE meta conventions. I know, I know, the meta constructors can do whatever they want. And I support their freedom to construct as they wish. Still, I have come to expect a certain orderliness to their processes, and this puzzle has randomness. IMHO. (Moderators, please remove if you think this contains spoilers.)
No spoilers, but I disagree 100% and think your comment might lead others away from solving.

This is a solid meta. Difficult to be sure, but in perfect order in its construction.

I agree with Joe. There is zero randomness to the solution: it is a 100% lock.

We LOVE your site, for a long time now.

As far as this puzzle, I’ve already abandoned hope, not ship. You and I anchor (continuing the analogy) opposite ends of the spectrum.
Conrad

Post by Conrad »

Joe Ross wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:56 am
boharr wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:40 am
Conrad's reviews on crosswordfiend are highly recommended. 👍🏻👍🏻
Thanks, Joe! I formally joined Team Fiend in March 2021 (I subbed in for Laura a few times before that), and have been writing up the WSJ and Fireball metas since. My first formal writeup was Matt's famous Thousand Islands meta (not a bad way to kick things off). Fun fact: that cover of Islands in the Stream includes about a dozen "ahas".

It's been over a year now, which is crazy.

On that note: Fireball is a meta this week, and a little birdie told me that there's another Fireball meta coming on May 18th. Glad that Peter's getting back to including more metas.
Check out my meta crossword writeups on Crossword Fiend: https://crosswordfiend.com/author/conrad/
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

Spring has finally arrived in north Ohio!
Attachments
DSC_0769.JPG
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
dudeski

Post by dudeski »

Onboard. Keep them coming, Isaac.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

boharr wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:38 am
Scott M wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:57 am Firmly ensconced at Isaac's bar. Continuing to chase rabbits as I see them, but with a baseball game to attend this afternoon, a party tonight, and golf tomorrow, opportunities will be limited. Maybe inspiration will strike, but not likely based on the previous comments.
Baseball game, party, golf. Who needs metas? Enjoy.
"I do"
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

Lost at sea with nary a beach in sight. I’m having trouble even finding rabbit holes to explore!
This one is tough! I may be at “Last Call at Isaac’s” zoom call on Sunday night!
Chantellebeal

Post by Chantellebeal »

Count me with Issac. Finally a beautiful spring day in northeast WI. I will look at this a few more times but not going to obsess over this week.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

I am quite sure that the team of MM @MaineMarge (mostly her) and myself got it with a nudge from WLW. However, there are several inconsistencies in the process which we will discuss Monday or on the zoom call on Tuesday
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
MamaE

Post by MamaE »

Ergcat wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 1:31 pm Lost at sea with nary a beach in sight. I’m having trouble even finding rabbit holes to explore!
This one is tough! I may be at “Last Call at Isaac’s” zoom call on Sunday night!
Is there really going to be a Sunday night zoom? I sadly missed yesterdays.
- Just puzzling it out here in Delmarva :D
TheCatt

Post by TheCatt »

At the bar as well. Had a few rabbit holes, but couldn't figure out next steps. Really thought we were onto something, but cannot see a next step, if it's even right.

Nudge?

- edit - Nudge received, onshore, thanks!
Last edited by TheCatt on Sat Apr 23, 2022 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
patpatchica

Post by patpatchica »

I’m on a beach, but is it the right beach? I have no idea - possibly. I may need to run this one past someone. :?

EDIT: Apparently, I am on the right beach, but my noted car knowledge is sadly lacking.
Last edited by patpatchica on Sat Apr 23, 2022 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Overthinking is my super power. 8-)
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Joe, I would NEVER want to discourage others from trying until midnight Sunday to solve the meta. As you must know, I frequently spend Thursday through Sunday trying to beat the meta into submission, sometimes succeeding. I guess I hoped my comment would actually encourage muggles to keep looking, and to abandon any pre-conceived notions they may be holding. My pre-conceived notions were an impediment to me. (Getting ready to PM you and Conrad.)
Cynthia
haydendog

Post by haydendog »

Made it to shore! Complicated (for me) but I feel good that I made it through.