"Dude, Where's My Car?" - April 22, 2022

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
LittleGood

Post by LittleGood »

I'm not on the Beach. :#
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

bagman wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 5:07 pm Got it but gosh, really inelegant.
I agree!
Cynthia
Conrad

Post by Conrad »

I am on shore, after setting a record for rabbit holes chased.

I disagree with commenters saying it's inelegant: this is an elegant, 100% lock meta. It wasn't easy (for me), but it rewarded persistence.
Last edited by Conrad on Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my meta crossword writeups on Crossword Fiend: https://crosswordfiend.com/author/conrad/
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Now on shore thanks to a hint from a Zoom participant. He told me which holes needed deeper digging.
Cynthia
curtremarks

Post by curtremarks »

Mary and I are still with Isaac. It’s like we have the pieces but they don’t fit together. It’s only Friday night, we’re not concerned.
C=64

Post by C=64 »

with Isaac. 🍹
Adajeo

Post by Adajeo »

Ashore. From a ballet/artistic point of view - too theatrical a solve, like performing with an inflamed Achilles tendon.
"To finish the moment, to find the journey’s end in every step of the road, to live the greatest number of good hours, is wisdom" Ralph Waldo Emerson
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

I would like to find any solution, elegant or inelegant I don't care. I just feel stupid. Guess I will be at the bar for awhile. Sandbar.
Richard

Post by Richard »

On the beach with a little help from a friend.

I admire the construction of this one more than the process to solve the meta.
Still fun and rewarding.
Magistra

Post by Magistra »

So lost, I can't even find Isaac. Still plenty of time, though.
escapeartist

Post by escapeartist »

Hanging out with Isaac once again this week so far.

*double loop finger pointer roll Isaac taught me*
* 2022 WSJ Mug Winner - I bask in its Glory *
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

Beached
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

Here I sit on a Disney World couch at Wilderness Lodge with Isaac. Grid done but no solution yet. Will need to tuck this away in my purse and look at it every once in a while until Something breaks. 🤔
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman
czeemuggle

Post by czeemuggle »

The fierce winds send slashes of sea foam across the windows. Despite it's immense weight and the enormous stabilizers that groan beneath my feet the ship rocks slightly in the storm. The bourbon sways in my glass and I hear the sharp tinkle of it against the glass and marvel at the clarity of the sound over the storm that rages outside. Isaac places a coaster under my glass to keep it from sliding with the ship's movements and gives me a smile. A smile that tells me there will be another day, a day on shore with my friends, a day when we will drink to our shared success. But for now, tonight, it is Isaac, me and the bourbon, in an empty bar, far .... at sea.
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

curtremarks wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:33 pm Mary and I are still with Isaac. It’s like we have the pieces but they don’t fit together. It’s only Friday night, we’re not concerned.
Well, the pieces are not conventional. If there ARE meta conventions. I know, I know, the meta constructors can do whatever they want. And I support their freedom to construct as they wish. Still, I have come to expect a certain orderliness to their processes, and this puzzle has randomness. IMHO. (Moderators, please remove if you think this contains spoilers.)
Cynthia
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

CPJohnson wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:13 am
Well, the pieces are not conventional. If there ARE meta conventions. I know, I know, the meta constructors can do whatever they want. And I support their freedom to construct as they wish. Still, I have come to expect a certain orderliness to their processes, and this puzzle has randomness. IMHO. (Moderators, please remove if you think this contains spoilers.)
No spoilers, but I disagree 100% and think your comment might lead others away from solving.

This is a solid meta. Difficult to be sure, but in perfect order in its construction.

Feel free to PM me to discuss.
JaneGummy

Post by JaneGummy »

I'm on shore thanks to some help from the zoom gang. Definitely a "slap on the forehead" AHA moment.

Thank you to all the zoom participants who graciously volunteered your time. That was my first time attending and it was masterful how you steered us in the right direction without giving away the answer. Very much appreciated!
Scott M

Post by Scott M »

Firmly ensconced at Isaac's bar. Continuing to chase rabbits as I see them, but with a baseball game to attend this afternoon, a party tonight, and golf tomorrow, opportunities will be limited. Maybe inspiration will strike, but not likely based on the previous comments.
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain
eagle1279

Post by eagle1279 »

Lost at sea, chasing one rabbit in particular but can't catch it.
Conrad

Post by Conrad »

Joe Ross wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:24 am
CPJohnson wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:13 am
No spoilers, but I disagree 100% and think your comment might lead others away from solving.

This is a solid meta. Difficult to be sure, but in perfect order in its construction.

Feel free to PM me to discuss.
I agree with Joe. There is zero randomness to the solution: it is a 100% lock.

It's possible to solve a meta without seeing the entire mechanism, and that's not the constructor's fault. Feel free to PM me to discuss, or read my https://crosswordfiend.com writeup that I'll post at midnight tomorrow, where I will discuss this issue in detail.
Last edited by Conrad on Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my meta crossword writeups on Crossword Fiend: https://crosswordfiend.com/author/conrad/