MEOW #73: Let's Get Meta!

A weekly meta crossword on the forum started by member Josh (aka madhatter5). These puzzles are often very creative with solving mechanisms out of the norm and skewing towards the more challenging. Puzzles are posted every Wednesday, and the solution appears the following Tuesday.
KayW

Post by KayW »

Nudged out of the bag on this one. All three individual metas solved but still working on the last leg of the meta triple crown.
CatRacing.jpg
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

I’ve got MOAT and Mikey.

Still covering MEOW with notes that don’t go anywhere.

And I thought I had something for the mega meta, but turns out not; still something wrong or missing in my approach there.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

I got the MOAT, and maybe half of the MEOW. If I do Mikey G's, will that help me?
Cynthia
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

And, please, please, will there be Saturday nudges?
Cynthia
madhatter5

Post by madhatter5 »

Well since you asked so kindly, Cynthia

The answer comprises 17 letters. Consider this in connection with the strange size of the grid

YOU need to make waves

The waves start at the START and end at the END

On another note, it seems it is not a secret anymore that there is a "meta meta" meta connecting the three "meta" metas. My advice on this one is not to overthink it - all you need is the prompt to be able to come up with an answer (and although there is one intended answer, we have ended up accepting a few alternatives as well)
https://pandorasblocks.org/crosswords-for-cancer
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Wow. Just.....wow.
edestlin

Post by edestlin »

Aha, got it finally and now I'm speechless.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

It took me an extra nudge but I'm catless, as desired. Thanks for the puzzle!
MarkWoychick
Site Admin

Post by MarkWoychick »

Cat is now fully out of the bag, having been stuck halfway for several days. The nudges created enough of an opening. Thanks for the puzzle!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 contest-style (meta) crosswords that we've created to help raise money for cancer-related organizations - get the bundle at http://crosswordsforcancer.com
rjy

Post by rjy »

Nudge required, but should have seen it. Brilliant concept all-around, and thoroughly enjoyed the clueing. Fun ride, but the triple finish line still awaits
Ray
woozy

Post by woozy »

Other than nudge 1 I figured it had everything to do with nudges 2-4. But... couldn't see it. But maybe if I look again....

It wouldn't be the first time nudges simply repeat things I had already figured out but... somehow allow me to see it anyway.... The "Black is the New Black" is the latest example...

EDIT: Sadly I still don't see it. The one thing I am convinced (and had been convinced) I must do has just too many possible outcomes.....
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
Beth Tyrpin

Post by Beth Tyrpin »

Right there with Woozy. Noticed all the things in the nudges and my best efforts are not fruitful.

And. . . There it is! Oh my.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Finally got the cat out of the bag. Unconfirmed, but no doubt. I had the right general idea days ago (so the nudges didn't really help) but wasn't applying it correctly. Took another look this morning and thought of something and there it was.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
madhatter5

Post by madhatter5 »

Solution:

lgm.PNG

As for the META META META, my misspellings (barring the financier blunder) spelled out A CHEESY RHYME
https://pandorasblocks.org/crosswords-for-cancer
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

I got stuck on the starting location... I knew it was going to be some kind of short-amplitude sine wave, just needed a shove as to where to start...

Thanks again for the puzzle.