"First and Foremost" - August 16, 2019

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
OGuyDave

Post by OGuyDave »

Done and done. If I'm on the wrong shore, judging from a lot of previous posts, I won't be alone.
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

On shore. I see why some might feel there is ambiguity, but I think there is only one defensible answer.

As an aside, I am on the road and therefore had to do this puzzle on my phone. I am normally paper-only, but will use Puzzazz in a pinch. But I couldn't get the puzzle through Puzzazz, so I had to use the WSJ site. That was not a pleasant experience. Once I saw where the meta was going, I couldn't even bear to finish the grid. I think others have expressed this sentiment about the WSJ website in the past, but this was my first time experiencing it myself. Not fun!
Meg

Post by Meg »

BrianMac wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:01 pm On shore. I see why some might feel there is ambiguity, but I think there is only one defensible answer.

As an aside, I am on the road and therefore had to do this puzzle on my phone. I am normally paper-only, but will use Puzzazz in a pinch. But I couldn't get the puzzle through Puzzazz, so I had to use the WSJ site. That was not a pleasant experience. Once I saw where the meta was going, I couldn't even bear to finish the grid. I think others have expressed this sentiment about the WSJ website in the past, but this was my first time experiencing it myself. Not fun!
Brian, I was going to recommend Across Lite, but apparently it’s iPad only. So, get an iPad! I’m very curious about why some people think there is more than one possible answer.
Last edited by Meg on Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

solved while aboard a 24-down bus.
ALS

Post by ALS »

On shore. I'm convinced that in context one answer clearly stands out as right. But I have been pageanted before.

ALS
steveb

Post by steveb »

Onshore - figuratively and literally, at Lake Atitlan, Guatemala, in the midst of a fierce thunderstorm.
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

ALS wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:21 pm On shore. I'm convinced that in context one answer clearly stands out as right. But I have been pageanted before.

ALS
It honestly didn’t occur to me that there could be an answer other than the one I submitted. I’m quite interested to see the recap on this one next week.
Guy

Post by Guy »

On shore, mug me or pageant me....and no one outside of this group could translate that combination of words, though you know the characters of Bloom County would give it a go...
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Ashore I think. Leery like the others of being pageanted. Just seems too easy.
Tina

Post by Tina »

On shore! Interesting bit of trivia at 32A.
TMart

Post by TMart »

On shore. Easy one this week, but it comes with an interesting bit of trivia that I never knew until I Googled to confirm the spelling. I'll try to remember to post it on Monday.
Orsys

Post by Orsys »

All done and done. Glad I can focus on the week 3 MGWCC tomorrow.
TMart

Post by TMart »

BrianMac wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:01 pm
I've had that same experience lately - the WSJ shut down Puzzazz to force us to their app, and then that doesn't even work right. Very frustrating when you're trying to do these on the road.
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

Done and done ... even if falling prey to life's rich pageant.
Jim and Anita

Post by Jim and Anita »

Happily ashore enjoying the full moon over the beech.
FrankH

Post by FrankH »

On shore!
Tony S

Post by Tony S »

Ashore, I hope. I had my answer before finishing the grid --- that never happens when I'm solving a Gaffney puzzle. I can see why others are nervous.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

As others have said, I had my answer before half the grid finished. The whole grid/meta took under 15 minutes, by far the fastest I have ever finished.
gamera13

Post by gamera13 »

Ashore! <---first time for me to use this lingo. :)
jakeorjacob

Post by jakeorjacob »

Ashore. I'm going to pretend to be confident about it.