#724 - "So Many Issues"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

ajk wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 3:56 pm
Al Sisti wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 2:34 pm Thankfully, I do have the 1-Across achievement, but having forgotten that this was the meta needed to get the Eggs-cellent achievement, now I have to wait a full year to wrap everything up... and that could change if Matt adds another achievement. And if he follows up with his plan to stop at MGWCC #1000, there are only about 5 more chances to get the Eggs-cellent badge. So has anyone gotten the "grand slam" yet? Is there a way to check?
If by 'grand slam' you mean completed all the achievements, it appears that at least Peter Gordon has done so. I stopped checking after that. :)
(you can click a username in the leaderboard to see what achievements someone has)
You can also go to the Achievements page and look at only those who have the 1-Across (since that's got the lowest number) and only check those people to see who might have all the rest.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
KayW

Post by KayW »

:alien: :flying_saucer:
EasterBean.jpg
:hatching_chick: badge achieved
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
ColinM

Post by ColinM »

If I'm stumped, there is nothing worse for me than seeing a consensus that the the puzzle is not very hard. That is a surefire weekend of frustration. I haven't missed a week 4 or 5 in a long time. Week 3 is my kryptonite.
I can't figure out the next step on this one.
Barney

Post by Barney »

I submitted my “knowingly wrong answer” (and it was) last night, just to get me out of this “wondering zone.”
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

I finally submitted after doubting my answer for 24 hours (because it seemed too simple), but it was correct.
rjy

Post by rjy »

Ditto here - solved on Friday, not 100% sure, but waited for Easter Sunday and was beamed up.
Ray
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

For the "tiny songbird" in question, there is a wonderful film called "Penguin Bloom"--we watched it last year on Netflix, I think. It is based on a true story about an Australian woman who is partially paralyzed after a terrible accident. Naturally, she and her family are having a hard time coping with all of the changes. They are helped in this process when they take in an injured "tiny songbird" that they name Penguin.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

I looked over the solvers list and was feeling so smug that I managed to climb aboard before so many talented metamasters...and then it hit me, they were all going for the Easter badge (which in retrospect I should have as well), but I am such an "Oh My God I Got It!" that I submitted without even thinking of the potential for a badge (badges, I don't need your stinking badges - well OK don't need but want for some inexplicable reason). So now I have to sit on my eggs for another year. RATS...or should i say BUNNIES!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

As always, I dip my toe into the waters of discussion post-solve.

I have a rule for me that I am not allowed to look up any clues to a puzzle, or that constitutes a nudge. I did not know 17-Across (perhaps slightly ironic in a way, maybe, haha), and 4-Down and even 5-Down did not do much assistance with me, so I was thinking, "Is there another you-know-what there?" So I had the wrong number in my head and was thinking, "Well, what do I do?"

I saw 1-A and was thinking, "Publications published TODATE totaling that number?" and I was all over the place. Then I made the assumption, recalculated the number, and I still didn't get anywhere, haha. Then it hit me a couple of hours later, and I was like, "Oh, okay."

It's likely a SAD puzzle, and this probably plays like a 2.5 with just slightly decreasing numbers along the way from Week 1 to 3. I look upon Weeks 4 and 5 with both trepidation and anticipation!
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 91. You'll Turn It Around
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

It's a shame that Gaffney apparently isn't a big Krautrock fan...this woulda been cool, especially since it fit easily into one spot. :)
Can_-_Tago_Mago.jpg
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

Also, my problem when first tackling the meta was that I was seeing MA_ instead of MAG, and I thought up a Snappy Answer to the Stupid Question of "what common 3 letter combo starting with 'MA' isn't found in the grid and is also the name of a magazine?"
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

MikeM000 wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:25 pm Also, my problem when first tackling the meta was that I was seeing MA_ instead of MAG, and I thought up a Snappy Answer to the Stupid Question of "what common 3 letter combo starting with 'MA' isn't found in the grid and is also the name of a magazine?"
That'd make me mad.
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 91. You'll Turn It Around
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

I filled the grid & tried every way to interpret these SEVENTEEN letters following MAG on Friday anag:::shudder:::ramming, other related clues & entries, etc. Saturday was too busy, then Easter Sunday, with its pretty-pretty badge, arrived & I used and drove a friend nuts as a sounding board via text.

GIANT *CLICK* when the idea to count the # of MAGs found gray matter.

In payback, my friend made me open a file of a filled grid to count rather than confirm "in order to preserve your solo status" (note: I didn't write "good friend"), but I knew what I'd find.

I then conceded my blindness and realized how this could be solved toot de suite.

MGWCC 724 reveal XwrdMggls.png
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!