#724 - "So Many Issues"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

I "googled" the bird. It sure LOOKED like a small song bird in the picture. Maybe the pressure of completing the delayed puzzle did not give Matt time to read the description.

Perhpas LadyBird will provide some insight.

I am among the group waiting for Sunday submission. The tiny bit of doubt about my answer is creating as much anxiety as not having it solved yet.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
Katiedid

Post by Katiedid »

Joe wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 5:30 pm I already have the Easter badge (only one I don't have is first to solve, and I'm not holding my breath), so I submitted with a tiny bit of trepidation. But I've happily beamed aboard. Maintaining my longest streak ever!
Everything you said is exactly the same for me. Beamed up. Happy to keep my 🔟+ streak going!
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

I am ready to beam up, but will also wait until tomorrow. Might as well!

Saw the metanism early, but didn't quite know what to do with it, until I corrected a little "issue" of my own.
woozy

Post by woozy »

Bird Lives wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:10 am
woozy wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:06 pm
The vocalizations of the black-billed XXXXXX consist of a series of rough, scratchy calls.
This confirms what little I know. My entire knowledge of this XXX-rated bird comes from a song we sang at camp in the Adirondacks when I was seven. I remember almost all the words. It’s a round.

For birds who won't listen, the art of a teacher defies.
And birds who chatter can never expect to be wise.
Libel!

XXXXXX are among the most intelligent birds there are. They are very closely related to crows, after all.

(I'm always a little surprised when people aren't as into them as I am....)
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

Beamed up! Very cool AHA whilst looking at the grid again this morning. Thank you, Matt.
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
Cap'n Rick

Post by Cap'n Rick »

Just got to this one this morning, but I'm up-beamed!
Ahoy! Check out my meta puzzles here! Check out "Smooth Sailing Sundays" here!
Barney

Post by Barney »

Well ….. my distant solving partner and I really like this puzzle

But we’re really stuck.

We each “thought of” an answer (different ones).

But we can’t FIND one, or apparently the mechanism that would.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well shucky darn, I forgot all about the Easter thing. Oh well!
Gosh, both WSJ and MG took it easy on us - guess they didn't want anything too "taxing"! :D
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Bird Lives wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:10 am
woozy wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:06 pm
The vocalizations of the black-billed XXXXXX consist of a series of rough, scratchy calls.
This confirms what little I know. My entire knowledge of this XXX-rated bird comes from a song we sang at camp in the Adirondacks when I was seven. I remember almost all the words. It’s a round.

In a snug little field in a neighboring park
On a beautiful morning in spring.
A [something] XXXX once asked of a lark
If he thought he could teach him to sing.

Oh no said the lark with a comical look
As he warbled and waggled his tail
’Twould be too much trouble and sorrow,
And I know that I surely would fail.

For birds who won't listen, the art of a teacher defies.
And birds who chatter can never expect to be wise.
Do you think we should heckle Matt about this? :)
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Tina

Post by Tina »

woozy wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 3:12 pm Um... anyone else have an issue with 45D? (totally off topic and derailing)

Edit: Either 1) I did the grid entirely wrong, or 2) Matt has no idea what a 45D is or 3) Matt is momentarily confusing it with something else (perhaps a OHFUGVG?)
Haha yup. The only time I ever saw one was in Liverpool, England. And it was big! We were on a Beatles tour, and I asked the guide what it was. He said it was a XXXXXX.
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

Okay, here's my favorite bird song by Gilbert & Sullivan:
[Mikado]

On a tree by a river a little tom-tit
Sang "Willow, tit willow, tit willow"
And I said to him, "Dicky-bird, why do you sit
Singing 'Willow, tit willow, tit willow'"
"Is it weakness of intellect, birdie?" I cried
"Or a rather tough worm in your little inside"
With a shake of his poor little head, he replied
"Oh, willow, tit willow, tit willow!"

He slapped at his chest, as he sat on that bough
Singing "Willow, tit willow, tit willow"
And a cold perspiration bespangled his brow
Oh, willow, tit willow, tit willow
He sobbed and he sighed and a gurgle he gave*
Then he plunged himself into the billowy wave
And an echo arose from the suicide's grave
"Oh, willow, tit willow, tit willow"

Now I feel just as sure as I'm sure that my name
Isn't Willow, tit willow, tit willow
That 'twas blighted affection that made him exclaim
And if you remain callous and obdurate, I
Shall perish as he did, and you will know why
Though I probably shall not exclaim as I die
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
woozy

Post by woozy »

I'd post this video to make my point except.... well, the australian magpies aren't actually true magpies (and to be honest they are bigger than the north american or european magpie).

Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
802puzzler

Post by 802puzzler »

Beamed up at #210.

Great idea about the Easter/Passover achievements! Wish I had thought of that before submitting!
JennyByrd

Post by JennyByrd »

I’ve solved, but like the rest of you, will submit tomorrow in hopes of the Easter award.
Thurman8er

Post by Thurman8er »

Energize!

(No, really, energize. I need it.)
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

Haven’t had time to solve yet, but
With all due respect to my Muggle birding friends ( except for our dear @LadyBird )

PLEASE CANCEL MY SUBSCRIPTION TO YOUR ISSUES
patpatchica

Post by patpatchica »

This one was so easy, I was unsure I had the right answer at first. Had to confirm it with a trusted Muggle. I hope this was not the calm before the storm that very well may be Week 4 & 5!
Overthinking is my super power. 8-)
jhseeman

Post by jhseeman »

typical me...sees answer, ignores it. Answer hits me with flashign neon lights, I ignore it Ask could it be this answer....um...duh. yes.

Will go for Easter badge tomorrow
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

lbray53 wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:28 am I "googled" the bird. It sure LOOKED like a small song bird in the picture. Maybe the pressure of completing the delayed puzzle did not give Matt time to read the description.

I am among the group waiting for Sunday submission. The tiny bit of doubt about my answer is creating as much anxiety as not having it solved yet.
I haven't signed up for the MGWCC--it rather intimidates me. But now I want to know what this bird issue is!
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

LadyBird wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:30 pm
lbray53 wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:28 am I "googled" the bird. It sure LOOKED like a small song bird in the picture. Maybe the pressure of completing the delayed puzzle did not give Matt time to read the description.

I haven't signed up for the MGWCC--it rather intimidates me. But now I want to know what this bird issue is!
The bird pictured in post #52 was clued as "Tiny songbird". Or is there another "version" of that bird?
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!