#723 - "Look for the Crook"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Found the crook. Will just miss the top 100. Pretty quick solve, but late start due to muggle zoom meeting.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Beamed up at #45.
Jay
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Beam me up (#131).
Last edited by benchen71 on Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Prepare to beam, pending board update. 100%. Nice easy week 2.

Update: yup. #146
Last edited by HeadinHome on Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The other Wendy. :roll:
higgysue

Post by higgysue »

Beam me up. I enjoyed this one!
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Like Ky-Mike, I got a late start on this one thanks to a two-screen Zoom Group Solve .. but, WOW, it was so much fun to see the "a-ha" moment for each Muggle attendee! I echo Wendy's comment just above.
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
SJMcK

Post by SJMcK »

Well, I found the theme solution but only after submitting an incorrect answer, so no beam up for me. I’ve fallen victim to a transporter malfunction.

Steven McKinney
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

I saw what was happening while looking at the grid on my phone and was pretty sure what the answer would be.

But I’m obsessive, so I had to finish the grid on paper (after adding two rows and columns to one of my pre-printed blank 15x15 grids since I’m away from my printer.) And then highlight appropriately. And find just what I expected. And then submit.

Awaiting beam up, but confident I will rematerialize on the Enterprise after the next update.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
burghman

Post by burghman »

Puts fingers and thumb to mouth and does a “MWAH” kind of thing - that was just about perfection. Submitted but 100% confident I’ll see my name following the next update. Brilliant once again.
If you see that I’ve completed the MGWCC meta, feel free to DM me and I’ll help you out - nudges, confirmations of paths, etc.
TeamDoubleTow

Post by TeamDoubleTow »

I think we will be beaming up... Back to WSJ
Team DoubleTow=Ali who posts here, Alex & Maya the hound(with occasional assistance from son)
Katiedid

Post by Katiedid »

Beaming up! That was pretty cool. Now I only hope I can get an AHA when I go back to the WSJ....
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

SJMcK wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:43 pm Well, I found the theme solution but only after submitting an incorrect answer, so no beam up for me. I’ve fallen victim to a transporter malfunction.
Transporter accidents are the worst! Two limbs get switched... Your spleen goes to another part of the ship... So why did Star Trek (the original) only have a problem where evil twins from an alternate universe appeared instead? (Though you had to love the look of Spock with the evil goatee!)
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

I’ve put in my call for the next upward bound beaming. Awaiting confirmation.
Matt has done himself proud with 2 great wordplay puzzles for us this week.
Really fun stuff!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

HunterX wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:57 pm
SJMcK wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:43 pm Well, I found the theme solution but only after submitting an incorrect answer, so no beam up for me. I’ve fallen victim to a transporter malfunction.
Transporter accidents are the worst! Two limbs get switched... Your spleen goes to another part of the ship... So why did Star Trek (the original) only have a problem where evil twins from an alternate universe appeared instead? (Though you had to love the look of Spock with the evil goatee!)
There was also the time Kirk got turned into two Kirks - his good side and his bad side in separate bodies
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
woozy

Post by woozy »

whoa.... really late start. Pretty sure I have it though.

Gad, android crossword apps stink! (Just Saying.....)
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Wendy Walker wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:33 pm a two-screen Zoom Group Solve .. but, WOW, it was so much fun to see the "a-ha" moment for each Muggle attendee!
Wendy and Peter help the lost boys (and girls).
Jay
woozy

Post by woozy »

Hey! I'm at exactly 200.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

BEAM ME UP! A 100% surety. Nice confidence builder after getting shredded by the WSJ meta.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

BarbaraK wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:22 pm
HunterX wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:57 pm
There was also the time Kirk got turned into two Kirks - his good side and his bad side in separate bodies
Yes, and it was eerily similar to the alternate universe with the evil Spock. Still no errant limbs, alas...
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

woozy wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:57 pm Hey! I'm at exactly 200.
Wow! Nice!