Initial Reaction - April 2022

A monthly, music-themed meta crossword published at noon on the first Tuesday of every month. The puzzles increase in difficulty each month, and at year end there is a 13th puzzle (the "Mega-Meta") that invokes each of the 12 monthly puzzles. Currently available at https://pmxwords.com/, as well as through the Washington Post website here: MMMM at WaPo
Joe Ross

Initial Reaction - April 2022

Post by Joe Ross »

April 2022 Puzzle 4: “Initial Reaction”

Here’s contest puzzle #4.

Solve using the Crossword Compiler applet, download a PDF, or use Across Lite.

The meta is as follows: One of the letters in the grid needs to be changed to make the theme consistent. The meta answer is the theme-related word made with the change.

Submit your answer to the meta using the form on the home page.

Send in your answer to the meta before 11pm ET Sunday, April 10, at pmxwords.com.
Thanks and enjoy,

Pete

PS For those of you who are fans of my music as well as my crosswords, you can check out the first single off the new record "Spaces" here. Feel free to share!
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Toughest grid, easiest meta so far this year!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
rjy

Post by rjy »

Wendy Walker wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:41 pm Toughest grid, easiest meta so far this year!
Agreed... could not solve the grid without the internets, but the meta was fun! Good to get one handily after striking out on a few last week...
Ray
pjc

Post by pjc »

After missing submitting last month because I was a week off somehow (I know, I know), it was great to tackle this one on the correct day :-D

Very fun and a nice 'click' when it happened.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

rjy wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:24 pm
Wendy Walker wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:41 pm Toughest grid, easiest meta so far this year!
Agreed... could not solve the grid without the internets, but the meta was fun! Good to get one handily after striking out on a few last week...
I third that...
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Ditto the above. For me too, a tougher grid than meta.
KayW

Post by KayW »

:notes: Nice one!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
mattythewsjpuzzler

Post by mattythewsjpuzzler »

Agree on grid but not getting meta yet.

Update: ok see it. Just trying to understand how the answer is theme related. Will continue to noodle on it.
jbird

Post by jbird »

Fun one

Agree with everyone, there were some tricky clues in the puzzle.

For the meta, I had a couple pieces identified but it wasn't until my wife looked at it and added the missing piece that I was able to solve.
docison

Post by docison »

Agree. Grid was meaty. Meta less so, but well-built as always by Pete.
kurtalert

Post by kurtalert »

Ugh... I made the meta way harder than it needed to be. I never take the theme/clues far enough; I always notice one "pattern" and then try and invent the rest of the answer out of thin air, as opposed to looking further within the puzzle for other connections that bring me pretty directly to the answer. I actually almost got it that way this month- but I kept trying to correct the wrong letter/clue. Grrr. Good puzzle though, as always.

The grid (15 minutes) was much easier for me than the meta (3 hours). I'm a total meta noob, though, so this doesn't surprise me. ABBA is the only meta thus far that has immediately jumped out at me as the obvious answer... I had to work for the other 3.
boharr

Post by boharr »

Got it.
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

I'm with everyone else - grid was tougher than the meta.
Cindy Heisler
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

Solved. 🎼🎹
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Should be on the board soon.

Edit - #106
Dannyvee

Post by Dannyvee »

Got it!
I can be found in Sheridan, NY, veejaying. (8)
higgysue

Post by higgysue »

I could not even finish the grid but I’m on the board anyway. Yay!
auee89

Post by auee89 »

kurtalert wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:15 pm Ugh... I made the meta way harder than it needed to be. I never take the theme/clues far enough; I always notice one "pattern" and then try and invent the rest of the answer out of thin air, as opposed to looking further within the puzzle for other connections that bring me pretty directly to the answer. I actually almost got it that way this month- but I kept trying to correct the wrong letter/clue. Grrr. Good puzzle though, as always.

The grid (15 minutes) was much easier for me than the meta (3 hours). I'm a total meta noob, though, so this doesn't surprise me. ABBA is the only meta thus far that has immediately jumped out at me as the obvious answer... I had to work for the other 3.
Welcome to the board! Lot's of good stuff here on solving metas in the FAQs.
Kevin
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

I found the grid typical of Pete’s - lots I didn’t know, but with persistence I got it all filled. (Then googled the things I was unsure of.)

I still don’t understand 41 across.

But the dime dropped for the meta.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

I'm on the "tough grid" side, I usually don't have too much trouble with MMMM grids but this one took me over half an hour and I still had to Google a few things. Meta was fun and comparatively quick :-)