Initial Reaction - April 2022

A monthly, music-themed meta crossword published at noon on the first Tuesday of every month. The puzzles increase in difficulty each month, and at year end there is a 13th puzzle (the "Mega-Meta") that invokes each of the 12 monthly puzzles. Currently available at https://pmxwords.com/, as well as through the Washington Post website here: MMMM at WaPo
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Joe Ross wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:10 am
...danced! DANCED! COME ON face the music and DANCE!

Had I not been a whinamus hinamus, I would have solved much sooner.
What were you trying to make work?
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

BarbaraK wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:27 am
Joe Ross wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:10 am
...danced! DANCED! COME ON face the music and DANCE!

Had I not been a whinamus hinamus, I would have solved much sooner.
What were you trying to make work?
Nothing puzzle-related. This puzzle hit me at a brief, bad time in 'normal life,' which kept me from giving it its due attention. Me hiney got whiny. Self-absorbtion: BLEH!
Abide

Post by Abide »

@Joe Ross Had to Google that. My first thought was Glengarry Joe Ross

Joe Ross: You laughing now? You got reveals, Muller & Matt paid good money, so get their names to sell them! You can’t appreciate the reveals you’re given?! If you can’t appreciate sh*t, then you are sh*t! Hit the bricks pal and beat it because you are going OUT!

Abide: The reveals…are weak.

Joe: The reveals are weak?! F***ing reveals are weak?! You’re weak!
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Joe Ross wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 7:01 am
@Abide: Uh, well, consider the reveals, then.

EDDIE: What reveals?

ARTHUR: He says the reveals are scrounging.
Definitely one of my favorite movies. The graffiti correction scene alone justified the six years of Latin I took.Wouldn't have know how correct it was otherwise.

Monty Python was good about including real language, facts, etc. Though I once showed the skit "Hungarian Dictionary" to my father-in-law who left Hungary in 1956 when the border went down for a short period. He not only didn't seem amused, he said the Hungarian was not any he'd heard. Guess they couldn't get them all correct.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

I've stood before that wall with a bucket of red paint... I mean, before that chalkboard, being corrected. John Cleese's cadence, threats, and disdain are delivered in perfect measures.

I like to claim some years of Latin, too, and will, but I also appreciate the complete immaturity of the introduction of the emperor's best friend (and best friend's wife!) and can't hold back the pure joy and minutes & minutes of giggling it induces, every time.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Joe Ross wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 12:51 pm I've stood before that wall with a bucket of red paint... I mean, before that chalkboard, being corrected. John Cleese's cadence, threats, and disdain are delivered in perfect measures.

I like to claim some years of Latin, too, and will, but I also appreciate the complete immaturity of the introduction of the emperor's best friend (and best friend's wife!) and can't hold back the pure joy and minutes & minutes of giggling it induces, every time.
I recall hearing or reading that even the cast had a hard time keeping a straight face during that scene. And I don't mean the gladiators.

That scene is also followed by the most wonderful non-sequitur in Biblical movie history--when Brian crawls away, runs up the tower, and falls into a passing space ship which then gets shot down in a space battle. Haven't looked up that scene's history, but I'd be willing to bet it was a Gilliam contribution.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Abide wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:47 pm Did not notice the last names crossed until I saw this uber-artistic reveal ;)

Typo at HILDALGO/SNOGS
Peter, are you suggesting Joe created this reveal while being ferried about in a ride share automobile?? I mean that could explain the lack of usual precision and artistic bent. :)
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!