#722 - “I Kid”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

Pretty certain I'm beamed up but have to admit that this wasn't in my wheel house.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Beamed up but like Chris above

My 50th solve leaving

1-Across = not in a million years
Egg-cellent - will go for this in a few weeks but it is a Week 3
Love Letter - probably won't happen if I have to send a love letter to Matt
One Hundred Weeks of Solvitude - seem me in another 18 months
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:23 pm
Love Letter - probably won't happen if I have to send a love letter to Matt
Loving the puzzles counts, it doesn’t have to be personal:)
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Hoo boy #83, I'll take it! I saw this one rather quickly but waited a bit to be sure and checked everything. As it turns out I was right after oldjudge, which probably means Jay was solving blindfolded, in Sanskrit and writing with his feet! So, got this one and WSJ (with help), guess I'll spend the week-end building one of my own.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
TeamDoubleTow

Post by TeamDoubleTow »

Beamed up but I echo @ Woozy 's question.
Team DoubleTow=Ali who posts here, Alex & Maya the hound(with occasional assistance from son)
paige11

Post by paige11 »

Forgot to post after I made it on the board yesterday, but beam me up!
Barney

Post by Barney »

Kind of amazed at how many people said this wasn’t in their wheelhouse.
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

Beamed up at #450 this morning. A personal best!!
I don’t even have a “wheel” house, but do have a barn with lots of wheeled vehicles, and I see a lot of wheels here as this guy is delivering our yearly order of 40 yards of garden mulch.
Oh, maybe I do have a wheelhouse.
F88AD41C-B7A9-44BD-B0F6-E64928581D87.jpeg
Thanks Matt!
ReB

Post by ReB »

BarbaraK wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:10 pm Talk about a puzzle that's not in my wheelhouse!

I started with downs only. Did reasonably well, but some mistakes and some missing in the bottom part of the grid. And no idea what the meta might be.

So I looked at the across clues and finished up the grid. And still no idea about the meta.

So I looked at the meta instructions. That didn't help at all.

Google to the rescue! I've beamed up.
Beamed up, but like Barbara, I also needed Google to confirm my suspicion.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

I've a fun story to post after the deadline.

Beam me up, SVP!
BobDylan

Post by BobDylan »

On the board.

I ride on a mail train, baby - Can’t buy a thrill
MountainManZach

Post by MountainManZach »

Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:23 pm Egg-cellent - will go for this in a few weeks but it is a Week 3
Anyone know how these day ones are determined? I have the Holly Jolly Crossword one, but I'm certain I've never submitted an answer on that day.
Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:23 pm Love Letter - probably won't happen if I have to send a love letter to Matt
My guess is this one is just whether you've ever submitted a comment along with your answer!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

MountainManZach wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:00 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:23 pm Egg-cellent - will go for this in a few weeks but it is a Week 3
Anyone know how these day ones are determined? I have the Holly Jolly Crossword one, but I'm certain I've never submitted an answer on that day.
Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:23 pm Love Letter - probably won't happen if I have to send a love letter to Matt
My guess is this one is just whether you've ever submitted a comment along with your answer!
@MountainManZach I have submitted comments but have not and probably would not use the word "love" in one
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Bob cruise director wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:45 pm
@MountainManZach I have submitted comments but have not and probably would not use the word "love" in one
Ha! Challenge to Matt - write a meta that’s so so good even Bob won’t be able to resist telling you he loves it. 🥰
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
woozy

Post by woozy »

Bob cruise director wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:45 pm
I have submitted comments and written e-mail to matt directly (falling short of using the word love) praising a puzzle and no badge so far.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

Seeing your comment, I thought "wasn't there something this past Christmas....?" and sure enough, in the first post for #708:

NOTE: Due to the late post, the deadline for this week’s puzzle is noon ET on Thursday, Dec. 30th. You can also earn credit for the Christmas solving badge by submitting by 11:59 PM ET on Monday, December 27th.

So you probably solved the most recent Christmas-week puzzle, turned it in by the 27th, and didn't realize you earned the badge for it.
NoFeetMcGee

Post by NoFeetMcGee »

Embarrassing to see so many people talking about how easy this one was, when I nearly lost my streak on it... I've just never seen [redacted] :cry:
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

Finishing with a solid 659 on the board!

It's wild to consider how long this show has been on the air. That's not lambasting anyone for whom it wasn't in their wheelhouse - any scripted series, animated or otherwise, that has that kind of longevity is rather impressive.
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 92. It's a Breeze
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

MGWCC 722 I Kid reveal.png
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Okay, apologies for the very weak reveal of this week's solution. I was lazy. I am lazy. I do know, however, that this Friday Matt Gaffney will reveal a stupendous explanation & graphic reveal. This reveal was *NOT* created by moi. Somebunny, whose name rhymes with Bree Tay Jenner, crafted this fine graphic. I promise that you'll love it.

I did promise a fun, brush-with-celebrity-once-removed story, however, and here it is:

S'w'anyway, I worked for a few months with a man who spent, like, his entire, like, childhood across the street from the voice of Bart Simpson, whose brother was his BFF. He informed me of this while driving us to lunch, one day, and said, "Hey, y'all... Watch this," or words to that effect. He dialed his phone, put it on speaker, and suddenly he was catching up on life with Bart, er, Nancy Cartwright. They went on for 10 or 15 minutes, with her going in and out of voice. (Fave moments: She "HAH! HAH!"-ed, sarcastically, every time my co-worker tried to be funny.)

There you have it, then.

Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!