"Trade-Ins" - April 1, 2022

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

I think that submitting the wrong answer last week has totally destroyed my meta mojo. Still staring blankly at step one. Going to do a little garden work and look again. After that, either success or a need for a nudge.
JJD

Post by JJD »

After a bunch grid crunching, I stepped back and flipped my perspective and followed it quickly to the solution.
I certainly appreciate the construction on this one.
Colin

Post by Colin »

vandono wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 5:29 pm
Barney wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 5:10 pm
ZooAnimalsOnWheels wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 4:36 pm Well, I've played Wordle, Quordle, Nerdle, Worldle, and Framed today to avoid doing taxes. So, I'm happy to give nudges to keep avoiding them. :)
Runs off to look up “Framed.” :lol:
Well, don't forget about Squardle, Globle, Squareword, Heardle, Semantle, Octordle, Sedecordle and Three Magic Words.
Oh no! My phone battery just ain’t good enough for all these …dle pastimes!
One world. One planet. One future.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Barney wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 3:30 pm To HunterX

Might be worth calling a professional tech geek, to see if your losses can be resurrected.
Actually, the guy at the Apple Store Genius bar tried helping yesterday. Then last night I was able to use restore mode to reinstall the system. But I couldn't do anything from there. Today, I showed the same guy at Genius Bar and he helped some more, which let me get my important docs off. But he didn't know why my user access (the only user access) was not a Sys Admin. (Which meant I couldn't get photos, music, etc.)

I went home. Several hours and much internet searching later... I found this was a problem for a number of people. Learned a trick using Terminal to delete a specific file and prompt the creation of a new user at Sys Admin level. This allowed me to fix the original user's permissions. I now have ALL MY DATA back!

Kinda scary that an old banker could figure a way to give himself Sys Admin permissions on a Mac. I felt like I was hacking into my own computer. Which I was, if you ask me. Imagine what a young computer person with a lot of time on their hands could do. Oh, yeah, that happens all the time.
boharr

Post by boharr »

HunterX wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 7:14 pm

Might be worth calling a professional tech geek, to see if your losses can be resurrected.
Actually, the guy at the Apple Store Genius bar tried helping yesterday. Then last night I was able to use restore mode to reinstall the system. But I couldn't do anything from there. Today, I showed the same guy at Genius Bar and he helped some more, which let me get my important docs off. But he didn't know why my user access (the only user access) was not a Sys Admin. (Which meant I couldn't get photos, music, etc.)

I went home. Several hours and much internet searching later... I found this was a problem for a number of people. Learned a trick using Terminal to delete a specific file and prompt the creation of a new user at Sys Admin level. This allowed me to fix the original user's permissions. I now have ALL MY DATA back!

Kinda scary that an old banker could figure a way to give himself Sys Admin permissions on a Mac. I felt like I was hacking into my own computer. Which I was, if you ask me. Imagine what a young computer person with a lot of time on their hands could do. Oh, yeah, that happens all the time.
Sounds as if some of us might like to have that Terminal trick in our toolbox.
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

I am ashore--thanks to Mr. LadyBird. I tossed my papers to him and asked him to take a look before I started soliciting nudges. He had it 75% figured out in 30 seconds. I wish he'd had that same flash of inspiration earlier in the weekend when I showed it to him!
FKelly

Post by FKelly »

On shore.
I went to gym, pumped some iron, shot some hoops and it came to me.
There is, however, a potential pageant for the unwary.
Barney

Post by Barney »

LadyBird wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:05 pm I am ashore--thanks to Mr. LadyBird. I tossed my papers to him and asked him to take a look before I started soliciting nudges. He had it 75% figured out in 30 seconds. I wish he'd had that same flash of inspiration earlier in the weekend when I showed it to him!
Shouldn’t his moniker be GentlemanBird?

:?
Kris Zacharias

Post by Kris Zacharias »

I see something that has to be part of the mechanism but just cannot go any farther. Think I'll quit and read my book.
Lee-Ann

Post by Lee-Ann »

I know that I got the first step, but no "aha" moment. I had more of an "ehh." So I submitted a solution, but I am not feeling confident about it.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good evening
Our final count is 25 on the ship and 154 on the shore

Enjoying the ship's bar since noon are

ALS
copperriver
Kris Zacharias

While making it to shore are

HunterX
ImOnToo
JaneGummy
John B
RicoTheSwede
drbockel2
Cindy N
Fred
TeaJenny
Lee-Ann
Mister Squawk
James D
davis178
baskin93
ladybird

Good luck winning the mug and have a good week
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
JerryF

Post by JerryF »

Lost at sea. Feel like a real dummy.
BensMom

Post by BensMom »

Ashore after a long weekend of banging my head against the wall. Couldn't have found the second step without a nudge from my mom!
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

Sent in my hail Mary. Hope it gets caught in the end zone.

Now to some Mollydooker.
Rufus T. Firefly
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

boharr wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 7:34 pm
HunterX wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 7:14 pm

While the exact method depends on which Mac you are working with, it basically involves:
- Booting to Recovery mode using Command-R or Option-Command-R, then...
- Going under Utilities, and selecting Terminal, then...
- Entering the command rm -i /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD\ -\ Data/private/var/db/.AppleSetupDone, which I had to use 'tab' after starting to type each part of the pathname (you type "Volum" and hit TAB, etc.) This deletes the file with the Macintosh HD - Data (or [Hard disk name]-Data) volume that says it's been set up already.
- Then 'y' to confirm deletion of the .AppleSetupDone file, then...
- Type 'reboot' to, well, reboot...
- Set up a different user account at the prompts since the computer thinks you're setting up for the first time, then...
- Using System Preferences / Users and Groups to edit your original user ID account to have Sys Admin permissions, then...
- Reboot....

Isn't this absolutely fascinating to all of you? :roll:

Sorry. It's been my last 3 days of research that saved my a$$. I should take a chill pill at this point.
escapeartist

Post by escapeartist »

Another late solve, sort of.

I submitted it, it makes sense, but it’s sort of a Hail Mary. Not 100% in this one.
* 2022 WSJ Mug Winner - I bask in its Glory *
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

HunterX wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:31 pm
boharr wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 7:34 pm
HunterX wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 7:14 pm ...
While the exact method depends on which Mac you are working with, it basically involves:
- Booting to Recovery mode using Command-R or Option-Command-R, then...
- Going under Utilities, and selecting Terminal, then...
- Entering the command rm -i /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD\ -\ Data/private/var/db/.AppleSetupDone, which I had to use 'tab' after starting to type each part of the pathname (you type "Volum" and hit TAB, etc.) This deletes the file with the Macintosh HD - Data (or [Hard disk name]-Data) volume that says it's been set up already.
- Then 'y' to confirm deletion of the .AppleSetupDone file, then...
- Type 'reboot' to, well, reboot...
- Set up a different user account at the prompts since the computer thinks you're setting up for the first time, then...
- Using System Preferences / Users and Groups to edit your original user ID account to have Sys Admin permissions, then...
- Reboot....

Isn't this absolutely fascinating to all of you? :roll:

Sorry. It's been my last 3 days of research that saved my a$$. I should take a chill pill at this point.
I suggest something stronger. You've certainly earned it.
Rufus T. Firefly
Heyitshayjay

Post by Heyitshayjay »

Think I have officially given up… will enjoy the bar, barring some last minute aha moment (or a timely nudge)
bhamren

Post by bhamren »

On shore. Did the puzzle Thursday evening and tucked it in my pocket. My weekly Sunday 10 pm reminder told me to do the WSJ puzzle. One thing popped out at me this time and it was a quick swim to shore.
Heyitshayjay

Post by Heyitshayjay »

Heyitshayjay wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:59 pm Think I have officially given up… will enjoy the bar, barring some last minute aha moment (or a timely nudge)
Once again, dragged on shore by the community. Been a rough couple of weeks for me haha