"Trade-Ins" - April 1, 2022

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Janet P

Post by Janet P »

KAS 5; streak broken.
Oh well, Thursday is quite near.
A new streak starts then!
Bonnibel

Post by Bonnibel »

Joe Ross wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:00 am 20220401 WSJCC Trade-Ins reveal.png

EDIT: I missed that the synonyms for the new words via swapped letters have synonyms on same line.
That was the beauty of it! Visages & faces did it for me!
🌴🍹
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

Colin wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:37 am Saw the four vehicles, but I have a 14-year old Acura in the garage and once I saw Aura, my brain became stuck on adding letters (like C to Aura) to make car models. I moved on from that but my friend in England has a Triumph Stag so I went down that hole too. The good news: woke up to a lovely sunny morning today… first daylight I’ve seen since starting the grid on Saturday!
Nice meta though!
Saturn put out an Aura before it stopped doing business. There was (or is) a Smart car that is manufactured. I sent down those holes for awhile too.
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman
flyingMoose

Post by flyingMoose »

Colin wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:37 am ... car models ...
Apologies if already mentioned and I missed it, but I thought 43A: ALEXIS was kind of nifty.
otlaolap

Post by otlaolap »

Was also trying to trade INs all over the place but finally thought of single letters and then viasages and countenances clicked.
Colin

Post by Colin »

flyingMoose wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:56 am
Apologies if already mentioned and I missed it, but I thought 43A: ALEXIS was kind of nifty.
Yep - did that too!
One world. One planet. One future.
Barney

Post by Barney »

Curious how many people just guessed “swap,” or, like Conrad on Crossword Fiend, guessed and backsolved?

I managed to do neither. Very clever (the puzzle; obviously not me. 🤡)
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Saw the vehicles immediately, and in what I guess can simply be described as a stroke of dumb luck, saw the connections right away. A rare page 1 showing for me. I think it’s so interesting how with some of these metas you either get it right away or you struggle for hours and hours, sometimes finding it eventually and sometimes not. Anyway, it was certainly a fun grid and highly satisfying meta; yet another great one from Mike.

And yes the poem is outright amazing.

Stay well all
Cruciverbalisticexpi

Post by Cruciverbalisticexpi »

Should be "Lexus" though unfortunately. Almost went down that same rabbit hole.
flyingMoose wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:56 am
ZooAnimalsOnWheels

Post by ZooAnimalsOnWheels »

LittleGood wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:08 am 4 clues start with "Ins"
My brother started down that road with INScription, INSensitive, INquisitive, INStrument, INStructions, and INtuitively, as well as a couple other clues that simply INcluded 'IN'. With 8 clues and a 4-letter word, it was easy to take this rabbit hole.

He eventually came around to the correct mechanism, but couldn't help but think this was INtentional on Mike Shenk's part.
Richard

Post by Richard »

I started with the ins and then stumbled across truck.
Then car and at car saw that I could take out car and get visages with an s.
For some reason as I found the others the swapped in letters were way.
(actually first was F and FISH but nothing I know starts sf)
So I had SWAP which fit the clue.

Did not see that similar word on the same row but did submit SWAP.
iggystan

Post by iggystan »

Bonnibel wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:57 am
Joe Ross wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:00 am 20220401 WSJCC Trade-Ins reveal.png

EDIT: I missed that the synonyms for the new words via swapped letters have synonyms on same line.
That was the beauty of it! Visages & faces did it for me!
I got SWAP, but was uncertain until I looked at the puzzle again and saw the synonyms which clinched it.
DBMiller

Post by DBMiller »

Barney wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:48 pm
LadyBird wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:05 pm I am ashore--thanks to Mr. LadyBird. I tossed my papers to him and asked him to take a look before I started soliciting nudges. He had it 75% figured out in 30 seconds. I wish he'd had that same flash of inspiration earlier in the weekend when I showed it to him!
Shouldn’t his moniker be GentlemanBird?

:?
I think it would be LordBird. You always hear m'lord and m'lady, right?
If I'm around, I am willing to join the Muggle Zoom room at other times to lend a hand to those in need.
Gman

Post by Gman »

And each of these had a S word answer! Given the exactly 4 words that contained IN in the grid, there were a huge number of clue, answer and IN versus INS combinations to explore. MS clearly meant to send many of us down insufferable bunny holes to nowhere. Fortunately I was rescued by a fellow muggle to see the 4 modes of transportation, and once I saw VI_AGES and FACES, I was home free. 🤪
mheberlingx100

Post by mheberlingx100 »

Gman wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:23 pm
And each of these had a S word answer! Given the exactly 4 words that contained IN in the grid, there were a huge number of clue, answer and IN versus INS combinations to explore. MS clearly meant to send many of us down insufferable bunny holes to nowhere. Fortunately I was rescued by a fellow muggle to see the 4 modes of transportation, and once I saw VI_AGES and FACES, I was home free. 🤪
I’ve been studying French for a few years, and “visages” stood out for me as well, as that is French for “faces”.
MikeMillerwsj

Post by MikeMillerwsj »

The contest answer is SWAP. Four Across answers contain a vehicle (VICARAGES, VANISH, GO BUST, STRUCK OUT). Trading the vehicle for a single letter gives a synonym of the neighboring word in the row of the grid (VISAGES for FACES, WISH for LONGING, GOAT for FALL GUY, SPOUT for ERUPT). The replacement letters, in order, spell the contest answer.

An extremely clever puzzle that ensnared quite a few solvers that only got partway to the solution. We had quite a good turnout -- 1298 entries, just short of 80% correct. 73 submissions for AUTO (presumably solvers who saw the four hidden vehicles) and 43 for USED (ditto). Plus CARS (6), SELL (4), DEAL (3) and several others.

Congratulations to this week's winner: Cathy Scheffers of Sarasota, Fla.!
JetStream

Post by JetStream »

Nice one. I was about 1/2 way there but didn't have time this weekend. Probably a good thing since I doubt I would have solved it. Congrats to those who made it.
JaneGummy

Post by JaneGummy »

First rabbit hole, lots of TR and IN occurrences in the grid

Second rabbit hole, above BUS, was LO AL, missing the C to make local bus. Below VAN, ASTO, missing the R to make ASTRO VAN.

fortunately my meta mentor dragged me know that cking and screaming away from the Warren.

Very clever meta, as always. I wonder if they place some of these rabbit holes intentionally?
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

MikeMillerwsj wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:20 pm The contest answer is SWAP. Four Across answers contain a vehicle (VICARAGES, VANISH, GO BUST, STRUCK OUT). Trading the vehicle for a single letter gives a synonym of the neighboring word in the row of the grid (VISAGES for FACES, WISH for LONGING, GOAT for FALL GUY, SPOUT for ERUPT). The replacement letters, in order, spell the contest answer.

An extremely clever puzzle that ensnared quite a few solvers that only got partway to the solution. We had quite a good turnout -- 1298 entries, just short of 80% correct. 73 submissions for AUTO (presumably solvers who saw the four hidden vehicles) and 43 for USED (ditto). Plus CARS (6), SELL (4), DEAL (3) and several others.

Congratulations to this week's winner: Cathy Scheffers of Sarasota, Fla.!
And we are vacationing in Sarasota this week…. So close to a mug!!! But alas, no win!
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

If the WSJ can just move that mug award a little more east, Dr. Tom and I may stand a better chance in the future. 😉
Congrats to a fellow Floridian! 👏🥳
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman