"Trade-Ins" - April 1, 2022

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
katnahat

Post by katnahat »

Hidden in 3D wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:34 am
Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 11:48 am Do we have any Duke/NC muggle family rivalries? I know we have a lot of muggles from North Carolina?
Luckily, no rivalries in my family, but check out this WSJ article: https://www.wsj.com/articles/duke-north ... _permalink
Great article! Thanks for posting!
Kathie
JaneGummy

Post by JaneGummy »

Finally on the beach, tho required some significant assistance to get out of an extremely promising rabbit hole, I'll explain tomorrow. 😊
Cindy N

Post by Cindy N »

Turns out I had the right idea for Step 2, just needed to be pushed a bit further with a helpful muggle nudge!

Count me on shore!
ImOnToo

Post by ImOnToo »

On shore. (Finally)

Spent way too long yesterday chasing a rabbit that I just couldn’t let go.
Konnie
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Just checking in to say... On shore. Cute puzzle. Though one part of the grid gave us some trouble. Nice, easy meta with a decent "A ha" moment.

Been spending the last 2.5 days struggling mightily with what looked to be a complete loss of all my computer data. And I mean ALL. Decades worth of stuff. Tax records. Passwords. Emails. Everything. Computer died in a system upgrade. Migration from Time Capsule backups to new computer only worked for applications but not any files. Have since resurrected the old computer partially, though I am no longer the Sys Admin for some strange reason. So I rescued most important files, but can't get music or photo files though. May still be much struggling ahead.

And I'm an old banker, not a computer person. (And computer-savvy kids are distant, plus look down their noses at Macs.)

I realize paper files can get lost or damaged too. But I do kind of long for those days when I just had to keep file folders full of papers, at least after the last two days. Going forward, I'm using two separate backup methods. Right after I shake my cane at some young whippersnapper...
drbockel2

Post by drbockel2 »

Finally made it ashore. I was digging in the wrong area for part when I had it right in front of me! Thanks for the nudge.
RicoTheSwede

Post by RicoTheSwede »

Thursday: colossal struggle, but no joy. Damn you, Mike Shenk!
Friday: You have until Sunday midnight.
Saturday: You have until Sunday midnight.
Sunday: One very strong mug of builder's tea, and -- what do you know, just like that, bada bing -- on shore.

Sometimes procrastination is a GOOD THING...
Mister Squawk

Post by Mister Squawk »

Ashore with a kindly nudge.
ALS

Post by ALS »

Stuck at step one, alas.

ALS
davis178

Post by davis178 »

On shore. A rare event
Barney

Post by Barney »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:52 am

And to those who are not on shore yet, it is very solvable.
If it was very solvable, we would have solvabled it.

:?
Barney

Post by Barney »

To HunterX

Might be worth calling a professional tech geek, to see if your losses can be resurrected.
FKelly

Post by FKelly »

Still at the bar with Isaac.
Time for a time-out. Need to head to the gym, lift some weights and shoot some hoops.
Maybe that with clarify things.
ZooAnimalsOnWheels

Post by ZooAnimalsOnWheels »

Well, I've played Wordle, Quordle, Nerdle, Worldle, and Framed today to avoid doing taxes. So, I'm happy to give nudges to keep avoiding them. :)
baskin98

Post by baskin98 »

So…I have two different (what feel like) first steps. Seems like neither can be a coincidence, but cannot figure out a way to connect them. Anyone around and willing to work together and/or just lend an ear?

Update - now ashore, thanks to a kindly nudge away from one of the forks in my road.
Last edited by baskin98 on Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barney

Post by Barney »

ZooAnimalsOnWheels wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 4:36 pm Well, I've played Wordle, Quordle, Nerdle, Worldle, and Framed today to avoid doing taxes. So, I'm happy to give nudges to keep avoiding them. :)
Runs off to look up “Framed.” :lol:
CopperRiver

Post by CopperRiver »

Got a late start this week. On the ship for now but working several angles....hope to make it shore by the deadline.
vandono

Post by vandono »

Barney wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 5:10 pm
ZooAnimalsOnWheels wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 4:36 pm Well, I've played Wordle, Quordle, Nerdle, Worldle, and Framed today to avoid doing taxes. So, I'm happy to give nudges to keep avoiding them. :)
Runs off to look up “Framed.” :lol:
Well, don't forget about Squardle, Globle, Squareword, Heardle, Semantle, Octordle, Sedecordle and Three Magic Words.
TeaJenny

Post by TeaJenny »

Finally ashore!

I think I'm among those who got the answer without fully understanding the mechanism. I found step 1 easily enough on Friday and have been staring at the grid in vain since then. I finally made an intuitive leap that led to what appears to be the correct answer, but I'm still not sure how I did it. It fits too well to not be the right answer, but I'm scratching my head trying to figure out how it works.
You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~C.S. Lewis
drbockel2

Post by drbockel2 »

JaneGummy wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 12:24 pm Finally on the beach, tho required some significant assistance to get out of an extremely promising rabbit hole, I'll explain tomorrow. 😊
Same here. I was 1 letter off because I was being dumb.