Synonym City

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
bhamren

Post by bhamren »

I threw out a stab at this on Monday and didn't get a reply. Then to my surprise I find myself at #8.

Maybe replies only come if I am wrong at my first try (which unfortunately happens all too often).

I only do these when my real work has a little break which is not usually in the beginning of the week. In a way I wish this was Muggle Meta Thursdays. LOL
Dow Jones

Post by Dow Jones »

Off the couch. Fun and imaginative puzzle and meta, Jay and Peter.
jhseeman

Post by jhseeman »

Bob cruise director wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:25 pm My hat is off to Peter and Jay for having a grid where there was no obscure (fill in the blank, e.g. actor, director, writer, movie role, etc.)

And am I the only muggle who has and uses a 4D?
I have one with a bamboo shaft, but don't use one.

I have a Pitching Wedge, Gap Wedge, and Sand Iron.
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Couldn’t join the muggle zoom… book club night. So, awaiting nudges published here. I feel like submitting my guess online, just for the chance to solve-without-solving (?). Is that cricket?
The other Wendy. :roll:
Abide

Post by Abide »

There are no rules on guessing; that’s a valid strategy for many.

Nudge 1
Alternate titles “What A City” or “Synonymacity”. The locations in the theme entries should be viewed in their more generic sense.
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
TMart

Post by TMart »

Off the couch just before the nudges came out. Great puzzle - thanks guys!
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Abide wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:13 am There are no rules on guessing; that’s a valid strategy for many.
It's like you know me!
minimuggle

Post by minimuggle »

Off the couch with the help of the group zoom solve. That was a blast. This meta was genius.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well, I had the answer for days, I just didn't take the last crucial step. Mad at myself for not making the connection, I kept entering it in Crosshare and it kept telling me it was wrong. Obviously I thought Crosshare was malfunctioning. What is that saying about repeating the same thing over and over and expecting different results - jeepers Tom!

Oh, and I'm aware that this is not really the best MMM cartoon, but it expresses how I feel:
cat bounce.jpg
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Abide

Post by Abide »

Nudge #2

26-Down clue example is intended to get you thinking about parsing. Parse “rapacity” into three words. Now think how to apply that type parsing to the longer entries.
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

jhseeman wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:39 am
Bob cruise director wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:25 pm My hat is off to Peter and Jay for having a grid where there was no obscure (fill in the blank, e.g. actor, director, writer, movie role, etc.)

The 10 irone and pitching wedge of the big bertha's fill the role of the gap wedge and pitching wedge.

Calaway clubs are 2 degrees off from most sets. My pitching wedge is 50 degrees (vs 48 normally), with the 10 at 46 degrees. That closes the gap with my 55 degree sand wedge and eliminates the need for a gap wedge which is normally 52
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
jhseeman

Post by jhseeman »

Bob cruise director wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:38 pm

The 10 irone and pitching wedge of the big bertha's fill the role of the gap wedge and pitching wedge.

Calaway clubs are 2 degrees off from most sets. My pitching wedge is 50 degrees (vs 48 normally), with the 10 at 46 degrees. That closes the gap with my 55 degree sand wedge and eliminates the need for a gap wedge which is normally 52
For some reason could never hit well with Calloways, I'm using Titlest blades like the feel and how they can work the ball.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

jhseeman wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:45 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:38 pm

For some reason could never hit well with Calloways, I'm using Titlest blades like the feel and how they can work the ball.
I find I'm getting really good distance out of my 4 iron. The key is to let go of it at the apex of your followthrough.
Abide

Post by Abide »

We now take a commercial break from The Golf Channel...

Nudge #3

By now you may have a four letter word. Look for an appropriate synonym of that word (8 letters).
—Brian MacDonald
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

DrTom wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:38 pm Well, I had the answer for days, I just didn't take the last crucial step. Mad at myself for not making the connection, I kept entering it in Crosshare and it kept telling me it was wrong. Obviously I thought Crosshare was malfunctioning. What is that saying about repeating the same thing over and over and expecting different results - jeepers Tom!
I initially conflated the title and prompt and thought that "The answer is a city associated with Elvis." Was totally confused when Crosshare wouldn't accept my answer; I'd figured out the meta and was totally sure I had it right.

As the old saying goes, when all else fails, read the instructions. "The answer is a title associated with Elvis." That worked much better.

I believe the constructors get to see all the incorrect answers submitted. That must be amusing.

So, Jay and Peter, did you both independently come up with this entire mechanism? That's really amazing! Or did you come up with similar related ideas that you combined to make this masterpiece.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Solved after nudges, but I shouldn't have needed them. I didn't pay enough attention to 26D!!

Great meta, Jay and Peter! Thanks.
Cindy Heisler
TeamDoubleTow

Post by TeamDoubleTow »

We thought we had the answer but alas...

Number of wrong answers submitted 4 (not counting the one that we submitted 2x just in case the case really did matter🤣) will keep updating as the entries pile up.
Team DoubleTow=Ali who posts here, Alex & Maya the hound(with occasional assistance from son)
Carolyn

Post by Carolyn »

I have also submitted four wrong answers, two before and two after the nudges! I thought for sure I had it, but as you say... alas... I think I'm done.... that is until I come up with another wrong answer!
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

As we come to the end of Wednesday, the day of the three nudges, the leaderboard welcomes another twenty solvers.

24. hoover
25. vandono
26. Darth
27. Bbaack
28. Meg
29. Beth Tyrpin
30. Joe Ross
31. Capn Rick
32. boharr
33. Mwoychick
34. hcbirker
35. Dow Jones
36. Tmart
37. BrennerTJ
38. DrTom
39. mindle
40. MaineMarge
41. Cinny
42. Daniel P
43. CPJohnson
Last edited by Bird Lives on Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jay
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

With the help of the village, I’ve submitted what must be the correct answer.
Excellent production guys.

That effort has wiped me out, and I’m in need of a bedtime snack
3851CFB0-957B-409B-8D9D-C79D177BFC90.jpeg