Synonym City

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
Abide

Post by Abide »

63. Byron
64. MamaE

Crosshare stats
Total completions: 217
Total contest submissions: 51
Total correct submissions: 46
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
Abide

Post by Abide »

Your solution to the mega-multi-step MMM follows:

Explanation and reveal provided by @KayW

What a great meta guys! But did I catch all the steps?

I see the SYNONYMS...

LIMIT - LIMA - CAP
REPAIR - RIO - MEND
DROOP - DOHA -SAG
BEST - BOISE - TEN

And ala clue 26D (which I must confess I remember Peter mentioning in the last Zoom)

KNOCK KABUL - RAPACITY

we go to
CAPACITY - EXTENT
MENDACITY - LIE
SAGACITY - ACUMEN
TENACITY - NERVE

And ELAN is a synonym for VIVA(city) LAS VEGAS baby

Which is of course what I immediately thought of anyway from SYN(onym) CITY and ELVIS

Jackpot!

Syn City.png
Like Bugsy Siegel, sixty-four hardy souls eventually crossed the desert and found the promised land.

As Jay mentioned in Post #1, we both independently picked up on this mechanism idea from the title “A City of Puzzles”. Jay’s puzzle had short words in the grid like MEND and RAP with asterisk clues, which would lead to words in grid (UNTRUTH, AVARICE), spelling out URBAN. My idea was more amorphous, trying to see if we could get four [verb][city] entries to spell a four-letter word that could lead to another city. (Sounds easy right?) After email brainstorming, we settled on this set which necessitated the Elvis tie-in.

The first draft of this puzzle was probably Week 6. The original title was “A City of Puzzles: Elvis Edition”. There was also no helper clue in the 26-Down portion. While Test Solver 1 made short work of the puzzle, Test Solvers 2 and 3 had …a bit more trouble. Reworking the 26-Down area, adding example clue, and changing the title (“Synonym City”) made the puzzle much more accessible to most of you determined solvers.

I personally had a lot of fun with this and appreciate the partnership with Jay. Thanks for solving, and thanks for all the nice comments here and on Crosshare!
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
eagle1279

Post by eagle1279 »

An amazing and fun puzzle! I got as far as ELAN, then added R from Rapacity to get RENAL (ha ha).
bhamren

Post by bhamren »

I got it by chance then. I just went by the alliterative city names and thought immediately “Viva (Las) Vegas”
Abide

Post by Abide »

Spelling Bee relevance

3977C842-5E5B-4361-A044-0D0F80E7A696.jpeg
—Brian MacDonald
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Abide wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:56 am Spelling Bee relevance
Beehive.jpg
3977C842-5E5B-4361-A044-0D0F80E7A696.jpeg
Yep. I entered the pangram first, but VIVACITY was my second.
Jay
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

bhamren wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:00 pm I got it by chance then. I just went by the alliterative city names and thought immediately “Viva (Las) Vegas”
+100 same.