#721 - “I As in Interrobang”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

boharr wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:12 pm April should be fun. The 1st is Friday and there is a Week 5.
Is there an April 1st/April Fool's medal to be won? Trying to remember...
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Al Sisti wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:43 pm
boharr wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:12 pm April should be fun. The 1st is Friday and there is a Week 5.
Is there an April 1st/April Fool's medal to be won? Trying to remember...
Don’t think there is one yet. But maybe if we suggest it, @Alex Boisvert will add it.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
rjy

Post by rjy »

rjy wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:48 am
  • Phew... 'twas a bit harder than 2 × 2 = 4 — but with an artfully obtuse nudge from Bird_Lives I finally got it.
It takes remarkable discipline to throw something perhaps a bit too subtle into the ether, and refrain from comment when no one notices.

I lack that discipline ;)
Last edited by rjy on Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ray
TeamDoubleTow

Post by TeamDoubleTow »

HunterX wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:25 pm I got tripped up multiple times with using E for Em and En dashes, H for hyphens, and just E for Exclamation (instead of EP). Took too long to use just D for Dash. So for awhile I had MAKE TIME because of a substitution on one of the grid answers due to the Em-dash. But I was bothered by the lack of order in the letters of M A K and E. Figured out that issue right at the end.
We had the same issues too!
Team DoubleTow=Ali who posts here, Alex & Maya the hound(with occasional assistance from son)
rjy

Post by rjy »

TeamDoubleTow wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:29 am
HunterX wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:25 pm I got tripped up multiple times with using E for Em and En dashes, H for hyphens, and just E for Exclamation (instead of EP). Took too long to use just D for Dash. So for awhile I had MAKE TIME because of a substitution on one of the grid answers due to the Em-dash. But I was bothered by the lack of order in the letters of M A K and E. Figured out that issue right at the end.
We had the same issues too!
Ditto here... Adele fixed it for me by not having a song titled "ROLLING IN THE DEE"

EA vs EPA did work for me... EA Sports is kind of part of MLB with their partnerships in video games, so A in ALEAST gave me the A that AMTRAK also provided
Ray
KayW

Post by KayW »

rjy wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:57 pm
rjy wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:48 am
  • Phew... 'twas a bit harder than 2 × 2 = 4 — but with an artfully obtuse nudge from Bird_Lives I finally got it.
It takes remarkable discipline to throw something perhaps a bit too subtle into the ether, and refrain from comment when no one notices.

I lack that discipline ;)
:lol: but how sad is it that I needed a nudge to interpret:interrobang:
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.