#721 - “I As in Interrobang”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Awaiting confirmation, but I may still wind up in the top 100.
(Update: In at #85.)

What a tour de force of a puzzle.

Thanks to all you solvers that I drafted a nudge-request to. I never sent it, but in putting down all my dead ends and those things I’d noticed but had no explanation for, I finally saw the right path. Even so it was a lot of work.
Last edited by Bird Lives on Sat Mar 26, 2022 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jay
stmv

Post by stmv »

Well, that was a workout. I spent a fair amount of time yesterday looking at the puzzle and mostly getting nowhere, and then spending a lot of time trying an appealing-looking rabbit hole. When I was falling asleep I had a flash of inspiration, and I woke up early to confidently try it out, but I again hit a brick wall. Then I saw that I was applying my idea wrong, and I got maybe 75% of the way there, but then still had to do some backsolving, and the finally I was there. It's very satisfying when you finally get it, and I'm on the board at #83.
Joe

Post by Joe »

Thanks to a small nudge, I've made it to the transporter room (well, awaiting a refresh).
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

GRRRRRRRRRRR - I have all the components but apparently not enough knowledge to put them together to form an answer. I KNOW it is standing there starting at me I just cannot bring it home.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Well, I see something with what seems like an obvious potential to be the start of the metanism. Still trying to figure out what to do with it. Maybe I'll draft an email request for a nudge, a la @Bird Lives, to see if it triggers some inspiration.
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

Hmmm, an eight letter, two-word phrase that would've made a good title for this puzzle: Beyond me.
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
ricky

Post by ricky »

I need a nudge. I'm pretty sure I've got Step 1 but I've tried every Step 2 I can think of. I feel like I may be executing something incorrectly in the process.
Check out the meta challenge at Lexicon Devil

Latest puzzle: "This Place Looks Familiar," March 7, 2024

Deadline: Tuesday, March 12, 2024, 12 PM EST
joequavis

Post by joequavis »

Fun team solve with my mom! Keeping the streak alive, and may get my first "10" next week!!
woozy

Post by woozy »

Yeah, I need a nudge... all I have are flaking letters. Not rabbit holes. Just gophers tearing up the yard.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
jturnham

Post by jturnham »

Another amazing puzzle from Matt. I'm typically staring at a Week #4 puzzle throughout the weekend. Somehow I managed to get extremely lucky Friday afternoon and saw Step #1 in a few mins and got on the board 20 mins later.

I've been helped by friendly mugglers in the past year, so I'm happy to confirm/deny rabbit holes or provide nudges.
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

I agree that that was a workout and that it had some wiggle room, but I was FINALLY able to reach a satisfying “aha!”moment… just hope it was the RIGHT aha! Waiting on confirmation, but feels like a 98%-er. Would not be surprised if this one has arguably acceptable alternate answers though!

IF YOU THINK YOU ARE IN A RABBIT HOLE YOU LIKELY ARE, is all I can say! I had at least three really promising ones!

Update: YESS - just caught the end of an update cycle… in at #105.

Also, I do now see how some people were able to get this one so quickly… it was just a matter of what caught your eye and how you interpreted the given clues.
The other Wendy. :roll:
Dannyvee

Post by Dannyvee »

Beam me up!
Saw things right off the bat but took a bit to figure out what to do with them. Cool puzzle!
I can be found in Sheridan, NY, veejaying. (8)
boharr

Post by boharr »

Last night, with help, I beamed up.
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

I'm pretty sure I got it.
Requested to beam up. We'll see.
ajs0031

Post by ajs0031 »

No idea where to go on this one. If someone could DM me a hint I would appreciate it!
Orsys

Post by Orsys »

Phew. D As In Done!
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

ajs0031 wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:00 pm No idea where to go on this one. If someone could DM me a hint I would appreciate it!
This is for all nudge requesters:

Joe Ross had an excellent post in the Acapulco Lounge thread on Muggle Nudge Culture on how to ask for nudges (#20 in that forum). The short version is that it's better to address your request to a person rather than to the general air. Also,
  • Tell me the level of help you are seeking. Do you want a simple yes/no validation of a solution or first few steps, or more?
    Send me what you have, so far, please. Leave nothing out
After all, you don't want someone telling you too much and spoiling the fun of solving. And you don't want someone telling you what you already know. You want a nudge that's aligned with your particular position vis a vis the meta.
Last edited by Bird Lives on Sun Mar 27, 2022 7:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jay
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

I have been ushered in the direction of the tractor beam. Awaiting lift-off...
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
higgysue

Post by higgysue »

I just dunno.
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Awesome! Genius!

Will be on shore soon.