"Body Language" - March 25, 2022

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
mheberlingx100

Post by mheberlingx100 »

Mister Squawk wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:26 am I would hate to see this devolve into a p*****g contest...
I was going to make a similar joke, but I didn’t want anyone to think I was a rectal system.
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Gotta say, the Forum comments have been classic and hilarious this week! What a wonderful community!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
Colin

Post by Colin »

My nephrologist friend wears a hat to golf that says “Love your kidneys” … that is unique at the muni we play, but what if it said “Love your bladder”?!
Mind you, we often reference bladders… usually by about the 6th hole! 😂
Last edited by Colin on Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One world. One planet. One future.
Heyitshayjay

Post by Heyitshayjay »

OliviaL wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:52 am Did anyone else initially follow the path of finding SAY (ORAL), ATE (DENTAL), WALK (PEDAL), and SEE (OCULAR)? All had one additional letter, which I assumed would lead to the answer, but I couldn’t find anything for DERMAL and didn’t like ATE being past tense so I finally gave up on that path and eventually got on track to find KIDNEY.
I ended up DEEP in this hole... took basically an army of Muggles to drag me out of it
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

With extreme apologies, an analogy:

Meta clue, with no verifying mechanism: A hitter's tool used at the plate.

Some choices to consider:
  • bat
  • helmet
  • batting glove
  • pine tar
  • rosin
  • sunglasses
  • elbow guard
  • ankle guard
  • chin guard
  • batters' eye
  • spit & lots of it
  • calling time out ad nauseum
  • Velcro
Revolver taped to back of toilet tank in restroom of an Italian restaurant.

Nlobb

Post by Nlobb »

I nearly submitted tooth after finding dental, oral, dermal (dentists use dermal fillers for spacing problems) and pedal ( like on a dental chair).
Luckily it didn’t seem quite right so I stopped with that idea. All those words ending in al nearly tricked me. Not that that takes much…
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

femullen wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:25 am I come from an entire clan of life scientists--mother, father, older brother, et al.--any of whom would join @LadyBird in a learned discussion of the honorable and distinguished organs associated with the renal system.

Me, I became an engineer. And sometimes it pays to live in blissful ignorance of anatomy: when I found RENAL, my first reaction was, "Aha! An anagram of LEARN!" "Learn," it turns out, was good advice, because when I looked up RENAL, I discovered it was "Of, pertaining to, or in the region of the kidneys." Thus straight to the answer without worrying about organs downstream.
DownSTREAM, eh?
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

This was a meta I could relate to!! In my former life ( aka job) I was a product manager ( for a line of kidney dialysis products) in the Renal Dept with Baxter.
HOWEVER, My *almost* big mistake was rushing to finish and stopping too soon after finding the letters “ANLE” and thinking the answer had to be “Ankle” …. 😳Luckily,I decided to confirm that before submitting!! And saw the error of my ways quickly!!
mheberlingx100

Post by mheberlingx100 »

DownSTREAM, eh?
[/quote]

I’m really getting to be a whiz at these puzzles!
I’m glad there were no leaks of the answer.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

anaerobe wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:47 pm
Al Sisti wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:26 pm
ship4u wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 12:51 pm

My Jesuit friends believe in the importance of Humility and they actually pray for it. "Let me realize that when I am humble I am most human, most truthful, and most worthy of Your serious consideration."

There ya go, @Al Sisti , don't you feel better now?! (interrobang) :)
Sometimes a gourmet meal needs a simple sorbet thrown in to cleanse the palate, in order to regroup and better savor what follows... and sometimes that sorbet comes in the form of humble pie.
Something tells me Al's descent to the level of the rest of us mortals will be short lived. My suggestion is we not give away his spot on page 1 of the weekly forum juuuuuust yet..........
Ah, thanks for that! Actually, I did land the #3 spot on this week's MGWCC (a week 4), almost 24 hours to the minute later. That makes the week a little better in balance.
Barney

Post by Barney »

Al Sisti wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:25 am
anaerobe wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:47 pm [quote="Al Sisti" post_id=87648 time=1648401995 user_id=94

Ah, thanks for that! Actually, I did land the #3 spot on this week's MGWCC (a week 4), almost 24 hours to the minute later. That makes the week a little better in balance.
My two-foot brain can’t touch those with a ten-foot pedal.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Al Sisti wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:25 am
anaerobe wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:47 pm
Al Sisti wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:26 pm

Sometimes a gourmet meal needs a simple sorbet thrown in to cleanse the palate, in order to regroup and better savor what follows... and sometimes that sorbet comes in the form of humble pie.
Something tells me Al's descent to the level of the rest of us mortals will be short lived. My suggestion is we not give away his spot on page 1 of the weekly forum juuuuuust yet..........
Here is the difference between a MLB All Star and a career AA ball player

@Al Sisti has a bad day at the plate (WSJ meta) and comes back the next day and hits a grand slam (MGWCC week 4 #3 solver)

AA ball player (me) struggles for 60 hours with solving partner on MGWCC Week 4 and with help (lots of it) gets the answer on Monday morning (Crash Davis)
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
JetStream

Post by JetStream »

Didn't make it this week but I was close. Somehow, I just didn't see how 'pedal' was part of the answer. I had dental, dermal, oral, ocular and their related parts (akin -> skin), (eee -> eye) etc, but without pedal I never got renal and hence was lost at sea. Oh well.... see you all next week.
Barney

Post by Barney »

JetStream wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:38 pm Didn't make it this week but I was close. Somehow, I just didn't see how 'pedal' was part of the answer. I had dental, dermal, oral, ocular and their related parts (akin -> skin), (eee -> eye) etc, but without pedal I never got renal and hence was lost at sea. Oh well.... see you all next week.
I had to look that one up.
BA145A88-B674-4184-9A4D-6F9FD00E5DA2.png
robertyseward

Post by robertyseward »

Long time lurker here. I was wondering if anyone else noticed the connection between gaff(e)-ney and kid-ney. Coincidence?
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

robertyseward wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:41 pm Long time lurker here. I was wondering if anyone else noticed the connection between gaff(e)-ney and kid-ney. Coincidence?
Probably a coincidence, but an amusing one. Thanks for pointing it out; I hadn't noticed.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
EVJ

Post by EVJ »

Count me with the RENAL crowd. I was so excited when I got to RENAL that I knew I was correct and proudly submitted my answer. My meta solving buddy Acarl pointed out the KIDNEY possibility too late for me but took her time and landed on the correct shore.
At least I was in very good company on our little sandbar.
I never noticed I was at the wrong party😂
Relic

Post by Relic »

OliviaL wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:52 am Did anyone else initially follow the path of finding SAY (ORAL), ATE (DENTAL), WALK (PEDAL), and SEE (OCULAR)? All had one additional letter, which I assumed would lead to the answer, but I couldn’t find anything for DERMAL and didn’t like ATE being past tense so I finally gave up on that path and eventually got on track to find KIDNEY.
I chased this rabbit also, and failed, of course. I never made it to shore. This was a good teaching moment.
Good luck to all for a successful solve. If you see that I'm ashore - rare occasion of late - message me if you'd like a nudge. Be sure to include your progress so I can know better how to assist.

Alan A. and Maggie Muggle
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

mheberlingx100 wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:10 am
DownSTREAM, eh?
I’m really getting to be a whiz at these puzzles!
I’m glad there were no leaks of the answer.
This week's discussion brought to you by the letter P
And the number 1
Relic

Post by Relic »

I remained lost at sea this weekend. Upon reviewing the contest solution, I spit out the sea water and exclaimed, " Oh (man)!

I was so close, but let one fatal error wreck me. I chased that one rabbit (trying to link walk, ate, see, etc) before hitting the correct mechanism. I did get the R N A L, but instead of seeing EEE, I saw TSARS which I changed to TEARS to go with ocular, meaning my removed letters were R S N A L. After reviewing the grid several more times, I concluded this to be a rabbit, and reentered the chase of the first rabbit, giving up after another wasted hour.

So close, but so far!. This is very much a lesson learned. Matt, the ruler across the knuckles didn't feel pleasant, but it will serve as a reminder for when we meet again.

In hindsight I shoulda asked for a nudge to shore. Had I gotten RENAL, the dictionary I was using for the other terms defines it as "relating to the kidneys." Shucks!

See you muggles for the next installment on Thursday!
Good luck to all for a successful solve. If you see that I'm ashore - rare occasion of late - message me if you'd like a nudge. Be sure to include your progress so I can know better how to assist.

Alan A. and Maggie Muggle