"Body Language" - March 25, 2022

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
C=64

Post by C=64 »

Inca wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:41 am Of course, it would have been awesome if there were a kidney (with one letter off; is there a word that would qualify?)
Screenshot_20220327-215413_Chrome.jpg
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

Inca wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:41 am Of course, it would have been awesome if there were a kidney (with one letter off; is there a word that would qualify?)
I had this very thought earlier today and briefly remembered going shoe shopping at Kinney (the Great American Shoe Store) every August in the late 1970s.

I believe one of the 2 dozen ish constantly employed comic actors who first gained fame in the troupe The State in the mid 90s is Kerri Kinney as well.

Weird seeing the solution posted at 7 something on Sunday evening. I do have to say as an early rising sports on TV watcher, Hawaii time is kind of incredible. I'd love to be able to roll out of bed at 6am on autumn weekends and watch college football...
littlepigeon

Post by littlepigeon »

Posting way late, but I did make it to shore on time this week. Really enjoyed this one; the solve, when I *finaaaalllyyy* got there, was more satisfying than usual for some reason.

Having admittedly not read back through all of the however-many-pages of posts in this thread (so apologies if this has been discussed already), I'm wondering if anybody else got temporarily hung up on those two crossing ORALs at the center of the grid. (It wasn't the only red herring I fell for, but it's probably the one that irked me the longest.)
M and M

Post by M and M »

I also looked briefly for a matching word in the grid but I was resigned to not finding one since the same thing happened in the past couple of months on a similar solve.

That said, my nomination for a match would have been Sidney. I can't think of much else that works! Sir Philip maybe?
mrmd

Post by mrmd »

Although ureters, bladder and urethra are undoubtedly part of the renal system, they have their own adjectives: ureteric, vesical and urethral. And yes, calyceal is also a word :D

Medical school - the gift that keeps on giving!
Mister Squawk

Post by Mister Squawk »

I would hate to see this devolve into a p*****g contest...
Deb F

Post by Deb F »

The answer did seem pretty clear to me but once folks started talking about possibly submitting the wrong answer, I started to relook at having already submitted "KIDNEY". I thought it was a good puzzle with a satisfying answer.

Good luck on the mug, Muggles!
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

I thought kidney and bladder were both good options for renal.
When first looking over the grid, 53A GALLoped had brought to mind gallbladder, so my brain thought that might be a hint to steer us to bladder as the meta answer.
To paraphrase @Bird Lives’s comment in a PM, I would have been p_____ off to have selected the wrong answer. 🤭
Moot point, as I forgot to submit bladder!😕

017BE2F9-5795-4D55-B668-2127D5CDE57D.jpeg
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

DrTom wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:50 am I understand people's gripes about the answer, but RENAL means KIDNEY to the majority of people. Yes, the ureters, minor calyx, major calyx, renal collecting ducts, urine, ureters, urethra, etc. could all be answers if the mechanism spelled out RENAL SYSTEM, but it didn't. Still, Matt may relent but he would have to honor about 20-30 different answers.
DrTom seems to be a medical professional -- I think he served with Major Calyx at the VA. Either that or he latched on to a good medical text. Whatever. If he says it means KIDNEY, that's good enough for me. If you submitted URETERS and didn't win the mug, you're just like me and all the hundreds of others (with one exception) who submitted KIDNEY and didn't win the mug.

Often, when Matt senses ambiguity, he'll put letter-length in the prompt. something along the lines of "The answer is a six-letter body part." Asleep at the wheel this time, he never noticed all those people who were going to submit COLLECTING DUCTS.
Last edited by Bird Lives on Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jay
ReB

Post by ReB »

There's an old medical school saying that seems apropos here:

When you hear the sound of hoof beats, your first thought should be horses, not zebras...

And KIDNEY was clearly the horse in this field, there being no reason to look for something more obscure.
mrmd

Post by mrmd »

Mister Squawk wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:26 am I would hate to see this devolve into a p*****g contest...
:lol:
femullen

Post by femullen »

I come from an entire clan of life scientists--mother, father, older brother, et al.--any of whom would join @LadyBird in a learned discussion of the honorable and distinguished organs associated with the renal system.

Me, I became an engineer. And sometimes it pays to live in blissful ignorance of anatomy: when I found RENAL, my first reaction was, "Aha! An anagram of LEARN!" "Learn," it turns out, was good advice, because when I looked up RENAL, I discovered it was "Of, pertaining to, or in the region of the kidneys." Thus straight to the answer without worrying about organs downstream.
For nudges, feel free to PM me. I won't have a clue how to help you, but you might shove me ashore.
Inca

Post by Inca »

Just for the record, although I submitted kidney and it seems clear to me that it is *the* correct answer, if the powers that be selected one of the other body parts and decided it qualified for the mug, I'd be ok with it. I probably wouldn't win on the 2nd draw either, so just another week without the mug. I really want to win that mug, but I'm used not doing so by now. At least I solved this week.
otlaolap

Post by otlaolap »

I solved! I solved! I solved! I told my wife -- LIVER! Showed her the mechanism. She asked: doesn't renal pertain to the kidneys?
Flying_Burrito

Post by Flying_Burrito »

Submitted kidney but had some hesitation at the finish line. I was not sure whether or not Matt wanted us to stop at Renal or induce the organ answer. Renal is 99% kidney but just like oral could be mouth or tongue, there could have been more than just kidney. That's the thing with Matt's metas: great mechanisms but always 1% ambiguity with the answers.
Senor Guaca Mole :mrgreen:
OliviaL

Post by OliviaL »

Did anyone else initially follow the path of finding SAY (ORAL), ATE (DENTAL), WALK (PEDAL), and SEE (OCULAR)? All had one additional letter, which I assumed would lead to the answer, but I couldn’t find anything for DERMAL and didn’t like ATE being past tense so I finally gave up on that path and eventually got on track to find KIDNEY.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Deb F wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:35 am The answer did seem pretty clear to me but once folks started talking about possibly submitting the wrong answer, I started to relook at having already submitted "KIDNEY". I thought it was a good puzzle with a satisfying answer.

@Deb F I think that most of those who admitted that they submitted the wrong answers over the weekend stopped at RENAL and submitted that.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

ReB wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:07 am There's an old medical school saying that seems apropos here:

When you hear the sound of hoof beats, your first thought should be horses, not zebras...

And KIDNEY was clearly the horse in this field, there being no reason to look for something more obscure.
@ReB

Bob - I don't think that anyone doubts that Kidney is the better answer but the question is whether others like Bladder are also acceptable as qualifying. I am sure that the WSJ hopes or is thankful if the first right answer pulled out is Kidney. After that it is just for statistics how many other answers would be acceptable.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Barney

Post by Barney »

Bob cruise director wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:27 am
Deb F wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:35 am The answer did seem pretty clear to me but once folks started talking about possibly submitting the wrong answer, I started to relook at having already submitted "KIDNEY". I thought it was a good puzzle with a satisfying answer.

@Deb F I think that most of those who admitted that they submitted the wrong answers over the weekend stopped at RENAL and submitted that.
Agree. And would note this is stopping too soon.

Every other body region ending in “al” led to the grid entries off by one letter, whose “wrong letter” spelled out renal, which by the identical pattern led to kidney. That’s the last step.

My solve rate is low. For some reason this one was easy for me, though I slightly tripped on “teeth” and “feet” before switching them to tooth and foot and thus finding their grid corollaries.
Barney

Post by Barney »

I don’t think you’d find a nephrologist in the country who would say renal —> bladder.