"Body Language" - March 25, 2022

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
FKelly

Post by FKelly »

On shore Thursday, but very busy.
Classic Gaffney mechanism led to a quick solve.

The title reminded me of how my cat Alexandria would use body language to communicate to me the help she needed to catch a mouse. She mostly used her tail. When I told Michael Graziano of the Princeton Neuroscience Institute, he remarked that it was generally thought that only large cats like lions and tigers could use decoys to catch prey. I checked that out and he was correct. There was only one instance recorded of a pride of lions using a decoy to catch prey and that was in Namibia in the early 1990s. I always knew Alexandria was ahead of her time. I'm proud to have been her decoy! She was a smallish domestic cat with a shiny black coat and beautiful green eyes.

Graziano studied the brains of macaque monkeys, but these days he seems to have moved on to Consciousness and the Social Brain.
https://grazianolab.princeton.edu/
JAQT

Post by JAQT »

Ashore after more than a month of big fat nothings.

Unless I made an Al Sisti GHAC!
JustAQuickThought
Collegetowngirl

Post by Collegetowngirl »

Ashore. I hope. Feeling like I missed something.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Our final count for the week is 6 on the ship and 233 on the shore.

Good luck winning the mug
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

I am ashore just in time for a nightcap. Good luck to all!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

FKelly wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:00 pm On shore Thursday, but very busy.
Classic Gaffney mechanism led to a quick solve.

The title reminded me of how my cat Alexandria would use body language to communicate to me the help she needed to catch a mouse. She mostly used her tail. When I told Michael Graziano of the Princeton Neuroscience Institute, he remarked that it was generally thought that only large cats like lions and tigers could use decoys to catch prey. I checked that out and he was correct. There was only one instance recorded of a pride of lions using a decoy to catch prey and that was in Namibia in the early 1990s. I always knew Alexandria was ahead of her time. I'm proud to have been her decoy! She was a smallish domestic cat with a shiny black coat and beautiful green eyes.

Graziano studied the brains of macaque monkeys, but these days he seems to have moved on to Consciousness and the Social Brain.
https://grazianolab.princeton.edu/
It does sadden me that Graziano moved to a more primitive brain. Monkeys make MUCH better decisions (and reward social interaction more richly).
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

I know that political commentary on the forum is usually verboten, but I could not resist a comment on the newest song craze sweeping Eastern Europe. It is a revival of an older C&W tune by Brooks and Dunn:
Boot Putins Booty COver.jpg
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
WSJosh

Post by WSJosh »

On shore, enjoying a nice Chianti.
KrisHendo

Post by KrisHendo »

Well, with a nudge or two from @wendywalker, I think I have crawled onto shore, covered in seaweed and very salty as I floated for days on a buoy. My body is tired but elated to have joined the fun. A little ranch water should hydrate me well. Cheers to all of you onshore.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

20220325-WSJCC-Body Language-REVEAL.png
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

I SO disagree with this answer! The renal system includes the kidneys and ureters and bladder and urethra. How are you supposed to intuit that from the puzzle? I looked and looked in the grid for another organ to no avail.

The oral system can include tongue and mouth--you knew they were going for mouth because of MONTH. The pedal system could be foot or feet or toes, but you knew it was foot because of FOOL.

I am disappointed in this--I think Matt really dropped the ball here. Okay--First World rant over.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Renal-Kidney.png
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

Screenshot_20220327-232242_Chrome.jpg
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

KIDNEY, BLADDER, URETER, URETHRA, RENAL VEIN, RENAL ARTERY, NEPHRON, RENAL COLLECTING DUCT, RENAL TUBULES, RENAL CAPSULE, RENAL MEDULA, MINOR CALYX, MAJOR CALYX, RENAL PAPILLA, RENAL PYRAMID...

Rumor has it that MINOR CALYX will also be accepted.
Inca

Post by Inca »

Not systems, just adjectives, I think. Dental=relating to teeth; Ocular=related to the eye; etc until we get to renal=related to the kidneys. Of course, it would have been awesome if there were a kidney (with one letter off; is there a word that would qualify?) in the grid...but, to me the answer was pretty clear anyway.
mikeB

Post by mikeB »

Theme answers contain Body Part Adjectives
. . . which steer us to the corresponding Body Part Nouns "almost entered" scattered around the grid
. . . each of which needs a single-letter substitution to form said noun
. . . whose replaced letters unscramble to form a Body Part Adjective
. . . which corresponds to a Body Part Noun that is the answer.

To me, that process of adjective-to-noun-to-adjective-to-noun reminded me of a pretzel. In my mind, that locked in the kidney as the answer. It’s undeniably renal, and it’s shaped like a pretzel.
Pretzel Pic.png
Franklin.Bluth

Post by Franklin.Bluth »

LadyBird wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:10 am I SO disagree with this answer! The renal system includes the kidneys and ureters and bladder and urethra. How are you supposed to intuit that from the puzzle? I looked and looked in the grid for another organ to no avail..
Sometimes smart people overthink these — but, taking it from a more intuitive and less academic perspective, "oral" generally means pertaining to mouth , "dermal" generally means pertaining to skin, etc. In everyday language "renal" nearly always refers to the kidneys. (If your friend is having renal failure, for example, you assume their kidneys have shut down.)

Incidentally, when they start tinkering with it directly the kidney gets referred to by the prefix nephro-: as in, "I went to see the nephrologist." No idea why...maybe to avoid exactly the confusion LadyBird is fired up about.

I donated a kidney a couple of years ago and it was said that I'd gotten a "donor nephrectomy", so I spent a couple of years under the care of a nephrologist to make sure all was going well (it was...the other kidney hypertrophies and picks up most of the slack for the missing one). One more little bit of trivia: my donee now has three kidneys; because kidneys get their blood supply directly from the aorta, one of the biggest risks in surgery is a blown suture and resultant blood loss. So it's safer to leave the non-working kidneys in place and just graft the new one into the system, sticking it wherever they can find room in the abdominal cavity.
Last edited by Franklin.Bluth on Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Joe Ross wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:12 am Renal-Kidney.png
I understand people's gripes about the answer, but RENAL means KIDNEY to the majority of people. Yes, the ureters, minor calyx, major calyx, renal collecting ducts, urine, ureters, urethra, etc. could all be answers if the mechanism spelled out RENAL SYSTEM, but it didn't. Still, Matt may relent but he would have to honor about 20-30 different answers.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

LadyBird wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:29 am Screenshot_20220327-232242_Chrome.jpg
Hmm if that were the case then maybe LEE was supposed to change to PEE? After all, if urine is a part of it then the answer could run into lots of things.