"Talking To Camera" by benchen71

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? A weekly meta crossword constructed by forum member Ben (aka benchen71). These metas range from relatively easy to more challenging, depending on how many Australianisms he puts in them! Puzzles are posted in a new thread every Tuesday, with nudges appearing on Saturdays, and the solution coming out on Mondays. (At least, that's the plan. Given he lives in Australia, and they are so far ahead of the US time-zone-wise, things may get posted early!)
Meg

Post by Meg »

Ben, I hope you are not in too much pain. I’ve crossed the moat and the lambs in the courtyard are jumping around.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

And at the end of the first 24 hours, we're up to 28 solvers, with 24 more:

Cindy Weatherman
kieranjboyd
ChrisKochmanski
Wendy S HeadinHome
lbray53
CromsFury
Tom Wilson
Bird Lives
rjy
Meg
DIS
boharr
woozy
Dave C
LindaPRmaven
kymike
cwillmore
Gutman
whimsy
SJMcK
Jack Sullivan
dplass
atom
markhr

Thanks for your good wishes! I'm doing OK. Procedure booked in for next Wednesday, so there's a little way to go. But it should be bearable.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Ben, I got it! Crosshare confirmed. Wishing you comfort as you wait for the procedure.
Cynthia
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well, thank goodness, finally crossed the MOAT, now all I have to do is get a bead on that kitty! I was making this one way too difficult, maybe I had better go back and simplify my MEOW approach?

Ben sorry to hear about your predicament, be sure to find out what type they were because there are some simple things you can do to prevent them (allopurinol, potassium citrate, urinary acidification with various liquids) but you have to know what they were in order to determine what to do. Unfortunately a BIG risk for future kidney stones is having a current one. I’m sure your Doc will take good care of you.
MOAT stones.jpg
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Loved this puzzle! And I found the grid crunchy but doable which is my preference. I was waiting to comment until I found out a little more about the answer, which I now have; I'm not sure it's really my sort of thing, but maybe I like it? Thanks for the puzzle and the new thing to watch, @benchen71! And I hope that you're well-medicated, and that your discomfort continues to be bearable and resolves quickly after the procedure. I've never experienced those evil pointy things myself (knock on wood), but my husband did and was not a fan.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Before the nudges, here's the additional solvers:

Tyrpmom
KayW
Carolyn
CPJohnson
Cindy Heisler
LuckyGuest
Bbaack
DrTom
LisaT
maturin
africh

That's 39 in total. Let's see if the nudges can bring in a few more...
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Nudges, in order of increasing blatancy:

1. Three entries combine to form the puzzle's theme: 34A, 35A and 38A: THE FOURTH WALL. This theme is then referenced in 7 other clues using an *.

2. The 7 down clues that have an * are all examples of breaking the fourth wall. But they don't fit into the grid.

3. So break the fourth wall: allow the entries to go below the grid.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Monday morning, here in Australia and it's time for the answer reveal. But first, a solvers update:

Darth

Yep, that's it. 40 solvers in total.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

And now for the answer reveal...

Talking To Camera (solution).png

Fleabag would have to be one of the most creative uses of breaking of the fourth wall I have ever seen, particularly in season 2 and her interactions with the "hot priest" (as Andrew Scott's character came to be known). If you haven't seen it, it is definitely worth checking out.

By the way, this might be the only crossword in the history of crosswords to have DEADPOO as a grid entry!

This week, we have a guest MOAT coming your way. I will be involved in things medical, hoping to see the last of these kidney stones. But you will be in good hands!
Darth

Post by Darth »

benchen71 wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 5:15 pm Monday morning, here in Australia and it's time for the answer reveal. But first, a solvers update:

Darth

Yep, that's it. 40 solvers in total.
Crossed just as Ben was raising the drawbridge! [One of those weeks... :roll: ]
Attachments
p07md4vs.jpg
KayW

Post by KayW »

@benchen71 A great meta concept and beautifully executed. Hope all goes well with your RENAL adventures this week :fingers_crossed: :fingers_crossed:
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.