Let's Split!

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

On shift, updates late tonight!
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 93. Person of Letters
minimuggle

Post by minimuggle »

OK, I've found what I think is the mechanism but I'm stuck on finding a common two word phrase with it....
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Left the couch, tricky because you have to think a little like Mikey does (and I'm afraid that gives me a slight advantage). I'm not saying I'm as clever as he is, not by a long shot, but I do have an odd sense of humor.

Oh. and for those who keep trying to fill in 37D, there is a spelling mistake and the fill won't work (doesn't affect the Meta at all) if you put the real name of the author in. I confirmed that with Mikey.

This is a puzzle where it all of a sudden dawns on you, the actual "AHA moment", what it is supposed to be.

Clever lad Mikey!

Hopefully my fill reveal is not a case of this:
Too much information.jpg
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
KayW

Post by KayW »

Fun grid!

I've submitted what to me is a common two-word phrase, but not super-confident. Waiting to see if I've split the couch...
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

DrTom wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:21 pm Left the couch, tricky because you have to think a little like Mikey does (and I'm afraid that gives me a slight advantage).
Great minds think alike! And so do ours. :P

BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

I'm Schrödinger's cat.

I saw what's clearly the first step, and I could come up with two word phrases to describe it, but none struck me as common, so I set it aside for a bit.

After a while percolating in the back of my mind, I did think of a common phrase that seemed to fit nicely, so I submitted that. Apparently it's not the one Mikey had in mind, but it's close and may be accepted.

So I am both on and off the couch.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
SJMcK

Post by SJMcK »

Off the couch, confirmed!

BarbaraK, I bet you came up with the same not-quite-right answer that I did, initially

Steven McKinney
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

SJMcK wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:02 pm Off the couch, confirmed!

BarbaraK, I bet you came up with the same not-quite-right answer that I did, initially
We must remember to come back here and post all our alternate answers!!
The other Wendy. :roll:
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

BarbaraK wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:58 pm I'm Schrödinger's cat.
……
So I am both on and off the couch.
71D2B6FA-6EF6-40BF-BD84-40BF6F1EFE8B.jpeg
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

MikeyG wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:49 pm
Great minds think alike! And so do ours. :P
How true, even if those thoughts are a year apart.
Jay
KayW

Post by KayW »

catbox.jpg
Schrödinger's cat must have been pregnant - it's getting crowded in here! My answer also made that quantum list. I'm still hoping to find the intended answer.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Hidden in 3D

Post by Hidden in 3D »

Well, I've submitted a two-word phrase, but based on others' comments I may still be lollygagging on the couch. No matter, I loved this puzzle, Thanks so much, Mike!

(Lollygagging - haven't heard that one in a while. Oh, how I hated it when my dad told me to quit doing it and get to work!)
Sara
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

Leaderboard of Destiny - Tuesday

25. Ergcat
26. Dplass
27. Hidden
28. ship4u

Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

Off the couch! Confirmed! Very clever construction!
Thank you for the fun puzzle!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Hidden in 3D wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:30 am Well, I've submitted a two-word phrase, but based on others' comments I may still be lollygagging on the couch. No matter, I loved this puzzle, Thanks so much, Mike!

(Lollygagging - haven't heard that one in a while. Oh, how I hated it when my dad told me to quit doing it and get to work!)
Watch Bull Durham for the definition of lollygagging
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
woozy

Post by woozy »

Ah, geez.... How many ways can I manipulate the the same two concepts around and still miss the intended answer?

Well, seven apparently as a PM conversation with Mikey G revealed.

(I gracefully accept his acceptance of my first answer as an alternate but do think the intended answer is better ... and can't believe how long I missed it.)
I guess I should change my signature, and start promoting this meta: Hungry Little Creature. I was going to sent it to people for testing but I dropped the ball on it.
KayW

Post by KayW »

woozy wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:35 pm Ah, geez.... How many ways can I manipulate the the same two concepts around and still miss the intended answer?

(I gracefully accept his acceptance of my first answer as an alternate but do think the intended answer is better ... and can't believe how long I missed it.)
That sounds like a challenge! I'm currently on #2...
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

WWEELLLL

I can think of several phrases but I sent in one of them. We will see.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
woozy

Post by woozy »

KayW wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:39 pm
woozy wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:35 pm Ah, geez.... How many ways can I manipulate the the same two concepts around and still miss the intended answer?

That sounds like a challenge! I'm currently on #2...
Oh... numbers 2-6 were me wracking my brains and not actual phrases-- just me playing with the same two concepts, trying to get them into a working phrase and just missing it. I tried every possible combination and variation and ... just missed the correct one.
I guess I should change my signature, and start promoting this meta: Hungry Little Creature. I was going to sent it to people for testing but I dropped the ball on it.
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

Hidden in 3D wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:30 am Well, I've submitted a two-word phrase, but based on others' comments I may still be lollygagging on the couch. No matter, I loved this puzzle, Thanks so much, Mike!

F1726414-B039-419B-968D-8CE39A113205.jpeg