#720 - “Get It Together!” by Andrew Linzer

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
Barney

Post by Barney »

ReB wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:26 am This weekend was the first time we were together with out kids since Dec 2019 (before COVID). They had never seen metas before, since I didn't discover them till later. So this MGWCC turned into a family project, with my kids filling in the leftmost part and identifying the key grid entry that opened everything up. Remarkably ingenious puzzle.
First visit since 2019, wow. Probably as good a time as any to seize the moment.
Cow

Post by Cow »

Wow! What an incredible puzzle! I'm very impressed with the construction!
ColinM

Post by ColinM »

This one was great! More than made up for my struggles with the WSJ meta.
BobDylan

Post by BobDylan »

Struggling on this one. Any tips greatly appreciated. Just cannot see how to get started here. This kid is much smarter than me.

new note: thanks for the hint - managed to unscramble this one. great job Andrew Linzer
Last edited by BobDylan on Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

I would say I’ve been beamed up, but it would be more correct to say I required a boost from a friendly Muggle with a Saturn V rocket.

3BB92DD2-B40C-4FB8-88F4-06CD1D20B33B.jpeg
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Ground Control to Major Nudge.
Soon, I'll be floating in the ether; far, far away.
Planet earth is blue, and I owe it all to you.

Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Whelp, end of streak, but another streak continues. I vowed this year not to ask for or accept any nudges. Seeing that there was no satisfaction -- even guilt -- when I did in the past, it made me try harder to solve on my own. If others can do it, so can I, if I'm good enough. Sometimes, like this week, I'm not. Streak is gone, but pride is still there. Congrats to the ones who did solve it. For me, there's always next week.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

DrTom

Post by DrTom »

That was one heck of a puzzle, elegant in its simplicity in that it showed you what you had to do and as soon as you cut it and got 2 x 15 column grids the lights started going on. The long entry RISINGS and ALEVELS were just sitting there waiting and he even clued it as such that the entry made perfect sense. This young man with his very first has outdone anything I have made so far, I am both in awe and jealous...

By the way, it should be lost on none of us that the mechanism was "Cut and paste". I wonder if he toyed with that as a title but realized it would immediately tip the solve and make this a week 1.
Get it together.jpg
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
EmilyW

Post by EmilyW »

Wow what a cool puzzle! I cut on the dotted lines and stacked the grid, but couldn't find the glue to stick it together.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

EmilyW wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:16 pm Wow what a cool puzzle! I cut on the dotted lines and stacked the grid, but couldn't find the glue to stick it together.
I found it but didn't use it.
Picture5.png
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

I did it in .puz and copied that to Paint. When I saw where to cut, thanks to the scissors in the bottom row central square, I moved it to the only place I could think of. A very quick solve for me.
mgwcc 3-18.jpg
Jay
woozy

Post by woozy »

Oh! A logo for scissors in the bottom of the row of I's!

Somehow I got the row of I's but thought the lack of scissors in 65A and the addition I was to lead us to scissors by its omission and the extra I was poetic license.

Any way I *loved* how a regular grid is 15x15 and this being 7 tall tells us immediately that there will be one addition row to account for (as well as it being 31 wide)
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

I was trying every which way to FOLD the puzzle to bring together the letters that make up the word SCISSOR, all available on the same bottom row, or above. When I got the hint to "be more literal" about the scissors, and realized I needed to (literally) draw scissors in that bottom center square, I was in disbelief that the four long down answers could combine into two. I basically asked, "What do I do with that? Find some magical word that would connect all those other grid answers?"

Apparently the answer was "Yes!!!"

Great construction!