#720 - “Get It Together!” by Andrew Linzer

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Glad I was traveling and got the corrected .pdf. What a great debut Andrew! Looking forward to new puzzles! Beam me up!
Heidi
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Beam me up! Brilliant first meta.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

I had just turned out the light to go to sleep when I heard an email come in. It was from Dr. Tom; he was telling me the methods he had tried and asking for a nudge. Intrigued by his idea, I turned the light back on, picked up my clipboard (which was of course bedside), and within 30 seconds got the meta answer! Thank you, Dr. Tom!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
rjy

Post by rjy »

Beamed up! Fun, clever puzzle, Andrew!
Ray
sheeparenotgreen

Post by sheeparenotgreen »

Good one! Clever and made me feel smart :)
ajk

Post by ajk »

Beamed up at 180. Didn’t jump out right away, but got it within a few minutes upon second viewing. Clever.
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Cindy wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:20 pm In other good news, I won a local meta contest this morning!
Wait - what? We are local to the same locality, and there’s a local meta contest I don’t know about? Do tell!
The other Wendy. :roll:
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Wendy Walker wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:21 pm I had just turned out the light to go to sleep when I heard an email come in. It was from Dr. Tom; he was telling me the methods he had tried and asking for a nudge. Intrigued by his idea, I turned the light back on, picked up my clipboard (which was of course bedside), and within 30 seconds got the meta answer! Thank you, Dr. Tom!
So much that I love about this post: that Dr. Tom assumed you had the answer already, that your puzzle is bedside, that it’s on a clipboard, and that you got to the answer via a nudge from someone who didn’t have the answer yet. :lol:
The other Wendy. :roll:
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well now, wasn't that a sweet treat from Andrew, a proper Linzer Torte. As Wendy mentioned, I e-mailed her telling her what I had done and wondering if there would be a solving session. I had an idea of what to do, and all the components, but like many times before I had not put all the moving parts together correctly to get a functioning answer. But when Wendy said she solved it in seconds after the e-mail I KNEW what she must have done.

"I'll go back and finish it in the AM", I said to myself when I read her response about 11 PM. HA, not bleeding likely, I was on a Meta Fox hunt (which may replace rabbit hunts). So I sounded the horn, yelled "Yoicks and away"", went right back to what I was working on and immediately got to the end. All in all a very positive week. (if only I could go to the Whip Tavern to celebrate it would be perfect!)

A word of congratulations to Andrew for a wonderfully entertaining puzzle. These young puzzle makers are coming up with ideas that are really outside the box. There were some aspects of it that I am sure gave him fits during construction, but some of his conventions were absolutely brilliant.
MPGM 5.jpeg
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
802puzzler

Post by 802puzzler »

Submitted, waiting for confirmation.

What a clever debut, Andrew!

EDIT: Clever, and apparently too clever for me! I found a beautiful rabbit hole that made perfect sense to me! :roll:
Last edited by 802puzzler on Sat Mar 19, 2022 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

HeadinHome wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:36 am
Wendy Walker wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:21 pm I had just turned out the light to go to sleep when I heard an email come in. It was from Dr. Tom; he was telling me the methods he had tried and asking for a nudge. Intrigued by his idea, I turned the light back on, picked up my clipboard (which was of course bedside), and within 30 seconds got the meta answer! Thank you, Dr. Tom!
So much that I love about this post: that Dr. Tom assumed you had the answer already, that your puzzle is bedside, that it’s on a clipboard, and that you got to the answer via a nudge from someone who didn’t have the answer yet. :lol:
Well I didn't assume she had the answer (though that would not be a bad bet 8 times out of 10). My comment was "have you gotten a foothold" and then went through my steps so far. It is the Joe Ross mind stimulus method, though he doesn't send his, he composes the e-mail and in the writing it occurs to him what he has to do. It did not occur to me until Wendy said "she picked up the puzzle and solved in 30 seconds" that I had actually found the truffle.

Oh, and below is now how we will always picture Wendy's bedside table:
Wendys place.jpg
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

HeadinHome wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:34 am
Cindy wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:20 pm In other good news, I won a local meta contest this morning!
Wait - what? We are local to the same locality, and there’s a local meta contest I don’t know about? Do tell!
Yes occasionally. I subscribe to the Charlotte Ledger. They have started running crosswords. Yesterday was a meta and I was the first to solve and won a six month subscription extension.
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

My wife, Cynthia, and I finally finished the grid, but no progress on the meta. I still can't get that Elton John song from last week out of my head, along with the weird visualization of "Hold me closer, Tony Danza ." :)
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

I finally got my act together and solved the meta.

I agree with others - great debut meta!
TeamDoubleTow

Post by TeamDoubleTow »

We have ideas but nothing has led to printable 4 letter words. Anyone want to exchange ideas?

Editing to add, thanks to an Expert Nudge by a kind Muggle I believe we will beam up. And if we didn't, I still like our answer! It is a pretty amazing construction! Hats off to Andrew Linzer.
Last edited by TeamDoubleTow on Sat Mar 19, 2022 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Team DoubleTow=Ali who posts here, Alex & Maya the hound(with occasional assistance from son)
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

We enjoyed our usual Saturday Lunch Matt-inee. But, we still can't "Get It Together."
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

EUREKA!!!

Awaiting confirmation on the web site but it has to be right.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

DrTom wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:32 am
Well I didn't assume she had the answer (though that would not be a bad bet 8 times out of 10). My comment was "have you gotten a foothold" and then went through my steps so far. It is the Joe Ross mind stimulus method, though he doesn't send his, he composes the e-mail and in the writing it occurs to him what he has to do. It did not occur to me until Wendy said "she picked up the puzzle and solved in 30 seconds" that I had actually found the truffle.

Wendys place.jpg
You forgot the cat lying on the bed
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Beamed up. Great debut meta, Andrew!!
Cindy Heisler
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 4:07 pm
DrTom wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:32 am

Wendys place.jpg
You forgot the cat lying on the bed
Well I certainly don't know if her cat tells the truth while in bed or not, how could I possibly comment?
Cat fib.jpg