#720 - “Get It Together!” by Andrew Linzer

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
Joe Ross

#720 - “Get It Together!” by Andrew Linzer

Post by Joe Ross »

AT 1:31 PM ET, MATT GAFFNEY EMAILED THE CORRECTED PDF FOR THIS PUZZLE TO ALL SUBSCRIBERS.
PLEASE CHECK YOUR EMAIL.

MGWCC #720 — Friday, March 18th, 2022 — “Get It Together!” by Andrew Linzer

GUEST CONSTRUCTOR PUZZLE:

This week’s puzzle comes to us from Andrew Linzer. He writes:

Hello! I’m 27 years old and grew up in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, and recently moved to Oakland, California, where I work in healthcare analytics. Outside of crosswords, my passions include board games, basketball, and public staircases.

I’m an avid MGWCC solver, but this is the first meta I’ve ever made! Big thanks to Sarah, Mike, Caroline, and Avery for their input during construction.

Thanks, Andrew! Let’s see what he’s got in store for Week 3…

THIS WEEK’S INSTRUCTIONS:

This week’s contest answer is a four-letter word you’ll need to use twice to solve this puzzle.

MGWCC #720 -- Clue Issues - MAR 18, 2022 AT 1:10 PM

Dear MGWCC Solver,

The PDF program I use had some unexpected exporting issues due (I'm guessing) to the strange size of today's grid. As a result, there are some weird things happening in the clues; for example, the clues to 15-A and 15-D have been swapped, and the clue 19-A is actually the clue for 18-D.

So if you run into any strange clues, please check the .puz file, where all the clues are correct. And if you submitted an incorrect answer based on the weird clue issues, please e-mail me (crosswordcontest@gmail.com) and I will allow a mulligan.

Thanks and sorry! This kind of exporting issue has never occurred before to my knowledge. Quite a strange thing, undoubtedly caused by the grid's odd shape.

--Matt

There will NOT be a spreadsheet link PMed for this week.

Join MGWCC.
stmv

Post by stmv »

I got it, on the leaderboard at #7, the highest I ever remember being, yay. This was a clever one that I enjoyed solving.
woozy

Post by woozy »

If I make it this will be my highest standing on the leader board. Clever fun. And not hard.

Unlike Excaliber, Going Fishing and the WSJ all of which are taking more than a day if I'm ever going to make them at all......

EDIT: #21....

Excellent first meta. [REDACTED: please don't discuss aspects of the meta or mechanism while the contest is still active]
Last edited by woozy on Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
Psumcoleman

Post by Psumcoleman »

In at 19…found this one pretty straightforward.
KayW

Post by KayW »

Submitted... :fingers_crossed: :fingers_crossed:

EDIT: :alien: :flying_saucer: A lovely debut meta!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Got the grid done ... thinking of some four-letter words ...
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Joe Ross wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:48 am
This week’s puzzle comes to us from Andrew Linzer. He writes:

Hello! I’m 27 years old and grew up in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania,
Linzer the Yinzer. Me too.
Jay
Dannyvee

Post by Dannyvee »

Beamed up!
I can be found in Sheridan, NY, veejaying. (8)
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Pretty sure I've solved. I used the PDF at first and thought of lots of four letter words!

In other good news, I won a local meta contest this morning!

And number one on the streak board until Meg solves and pushes me down.
Last edited by Cindy on Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Yeah, I just saw Matt's update -- back to square 1 for me because I thought the multiple clue mix-ups were part of the metanism!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
TMart

Post by TMart »

Beam me up. Fun, creative meta - nicely done, Andrew!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Wendy Walker wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:23 pm Yeah, I just saw Matt's update -- back to square 1 for me because I thought the multiple clue mix-ups were part of the metanism!
Congratulations to all solvers, but I was down some wild & wooly rabbit holes based on the PDF. This will get solved another day.

Katiedid

Post by Katiedid »

Beamed up! That was fun. My 400th solve! I'm also glad to have solved it since week three seems to be my nemesis lately.
KayW

Post by KayW »

Joe Ross wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:36 pm
Wendy Walker wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:23 pm Yeah, I just saw Matt's update -- back to square 1 for me because I thought the multiple clue mix-ups were part of the metanism!
Congratulations to all solvers, but I was down some wild & wooly rabbit holes based on the PDF. This will get solved another day.

Yikes. Thanking my lucky stars I solved via PUZ. My poor brain probably would have exploded - if I'd been able to complete the grid at all.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

I'm in the top 40. Just.
This was a quick solve for me thanks to not using PDF or paper.
Jay
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

I'm with @Joe Ross with the four letter words I'm spouting at the PDF. I saw Matt's email, and then realized there were more. But it's still frustrating.

Is there a way someone with the PUZ file could create an accurate list of clues? I'm almost done the grid, but wouldn't mind seeing the correct clue numbering.
SJMcK

Post by SJMcK »

HunterX wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:02 pm I'm with @Joe Ross with the four letter words I'm spouting at the PDF. I saw Matt's email, and then realized there were more. But it's still frustrating.

Is there a way someone with the PUZ file could create an accurate list of clues? I'm almost done the grid, but wouldn't mind seeing the correct clue numbering.
Matt has posted a corrected PDF to the Patreon.

Also: Solved it!

Steven McKinney
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

SJMcK wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:05 pm
HunterX wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:02 pm I'm with @Joe Ross with the four letter words I'm spouting at the PDF. I saw Matt's email, and then realized there were more. But it's still frustrating.

Matt has posted a corrected PDF to the Patreon.

Also: Solved it!
I got one of Matt's free 3-month trials. So I actually don't know how to access Matt's Patreon site. Just the xwordcontest.com site. Is there a link there?

Edit: While I am curious to know how to get there/it, I have at least figured out all the clue-switches and finished the grid.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Fun puzzle! Waiting to beam up. (Fortunately I didn't use the PDF.)
MarkWoychick
Site Admin

Post by MarkWoychick »

OK, solved and submitted, waiting to be beamed up

Edit: beamed up at #95
Last edited by MarkWoychick on Fri Mar 18, 2022 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 contest-style (meta) crosswords that we've created to help raise money for cancer-related organizations - get the bundle at http://crosswordsforcancer.com